Ride Control Shocks - '32 Pontiac

32Pontiac6

Does anybody have any experience with the Delco Lovejoy shocks with ride control? I have them on my '32 Pontiac. I tested them and the adjustment did not make any difference in the force needed to move the arm. I then added some Hydraulic and Jack oil (AW 32) and they now seem to work fine. They go from very free to extremely difficult to move as you move the adjusting lever. My question is: should I just leave well enough alone since they seem to be working? Before I added the oil I was planning to rebuild but now reconsidering since they seem to be working as they should.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

It sounds like they are working properly. Unlike tubular shocks, those old shocks will last the life of the car if they are kept full of oil. Even if they leak a bit just top them up from time to time. If the oil pours out or they have not resistance, then you need to do some repairs or rebuild.

I think I have a similar shock on my 49 Olds. I took off the shocks and flushed them out, sprayed in a liberal amount of WD-40 and then refilled with hydraulic oil. There is now some resistance, the thing still drives like an aircraft carrier! Maybe it always drove like this?

I think I have a similar shock on my 49 Olds. I took off the shocks and flushed them out, sprayed in a liberal amount of WD-40 and then refilled with hydraulic oil. There is now some resistance, the thing still drives like an aircraft carrier! Maybe it always drove like this?

Check the resistance of the shocks, also check if the links are tight if they are too loose the shocks won't have much effect.

Yes they always drove like an aircraft carrier, more or less. You could also have your front end checked out and worn parts replaced as necessary, and an alignment done. This will insure the best handling possible, and is often overlooked. Friends who had this done on their old cars report that it made a big difference. When everything was working the way it was supposed to, they found their cars easy and enjoyable to drive even though they did not drive like a 2011 car.