Sign in to follow this  
kdml

Body Mount Kit

Anyone ever use OPG's body mount kit for a '65 Riviera? Any opinions?

I was noticing Cars, Inc listed individual body mount parts, but no kit and out of pure laziness I thought I would go with OPG's kit instead of ordering individual parts

Thanks

Doug

Give Glenn a call and ask him why he doesn't sell the kit. He's an easy guy to work with.

Think they are all the same basic manufacturer or do you think they come from different manufacturers?

Not sure if they were the same manufacturer or different - just trying to get some opinions before purchasing, as I only want to replace these once.

I have not purchased anything from OPG so I have no experience on the quality of their parts

Thanks Gee Rydes - I will contact Classic Buicks

Anyone know if the classic buicks kit is exactly like original. I just pulled my body mounts and noticed the steel sleeve for the rear most mount is oval and the mounts over the rear springs are larger in diameter. I tried emailing classic buicks with my question, but keep getting an error

Thanks

Thanks Dave - I can handle that modification

Nick - I had downloaded the 63-65 Riviera catalog for Rubber the Right Way and did not see body mounts

I just received the body mount kit from Classic Buicks.

2 of the mounts are different (lower height and wider diameter). The originals I removed from the car all all the same diameter except for the 2 above the rear tires (which are larger), but they all appear to be the same height.

Any thoughts?

In addition, my rear most mounts have oval holes. I was going to do as Gee Rydes suggested and oval the mount, but since the metal insert in the mount is one piece (sleeve and washer) it appears I need to round out the hole in the frame - that sound right?

Thanks

Doug

post-64567-143138469406_thumb.jpg

If you cut just the rubber part in 2 straight parallel lines one on either side of the metal sleeve, you end up with an oval shape. Basically the metal sleeve wall is the small diameter of an oval and the uncut rubber makes for the larger diameter of the oval. Then it will fit into the frame with any mod

Thanks - I will modify the mount

What about the 2 different upper mounts. Where do the shorter/wider mounts go? There are only 2 of them so I figured under the radiator

I sent an email to Classic and Marc responded that the wider/thinner mounts are for the rear-most mounts. I was able to trim the rubber down so they fit in the oval holes.

Thanks

Just an FYI, I recently purchased the OPG kit for the 65 Bucik Riv. Quality seems to be good but kits is far from complete. The website is very misleading and the 10 pc kit is just that with no lower bushing when it clearly stated both upper and lower.

Has anyone finished installing a classic Buick kit and was it complete enough to cover all 14 mounting locations?

ROA#2742

What are you guys doing about bolts? Are you just matching the old ones with new ones from the hardware store?

Most of my bolts (the few that actually came out in one piece) are junk.

Most of the bolts that came off mine were junk as well. I am matching them up with bolts from my local parts source. I am using all grade 8 bolts which may be overkill but since they come zinc coated I figured they wont rust as quick.

Any body know of a source that makes the body mount molding for the rear trunk pan? The replacment trunk sheet metal available does not produce or incorporate in to pan.

ROA#2742<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

By "body mount moulding" do you mean the stamped channel that the mounts bold onto below the trunk pan?

Well that channel if made would be nice if it was available, I will have to replace part of that but I can fabricate it easily enough. The molded part I speak of is located in the trunk area just behind the wheel, directly in the corners.

I installed the kit from Classic Buicks. It covered all mounting locations with both upper and lower bushings. The only thing not included in the kit was the bolts. Mine were in good shape so I re-used them. The only bolts I replaced were the 4 for the front mounts as my original bolts where just slightly too short to reach the cage nuts to reinstall. I too, grabbed new grade 8 bolts at the local parts store.

The only modification I needed to make to the mounts was for the rear mounts as the original hole in the frame cross member was oval, but the mounts were round. I just cut down the rubber that drops into the frame member to make it oval.

What do you guys do when the bolt breaks off in the cage nut?? Can you get at it to replace the nut?

What do you guys do when the bolt breaks off in the cage nut?? Can you get at it to replace the nut?

It would depend on the location. If the nut is inaccessible, transplant surgery must performed by cutting open the steel channel its in making an access hole large enough to replace the nut. Not a fun job.

It would depend on the location. If the nut is inaccessible, transplant surgery must performed by cutting open the steel channel its in making an access hole large enough to replace the nut. Not a fun job.

Ugggghhhh....... OK. Hopefully I can keep the breakage to a minimum!

What are you guys doing about bolts? Are you just matching the old ones with new ones from the hardware store?

Most of my bolts (the few that actually came out in one piece) are junk.

Interesting that new bolts are not available as a part of a body mount kit from somebody. I remember when I did my 55 Chevy, in the Classic Chevy Int. catalog, in the same group as new body mounts was an item for new body mount bolts. Just pick sedan, hardtop, wagon or convertible. All the new bolts you needed to do the job could be ordered at the same time you ordered the rubbers.