Sign in to follow this  
MidTNDawg

"Fuel pump"

Guest rbardin

The unit is a Kingston with the tin top. It has a brass elbow and a pot metal part with the vacuum line coming from the exhaust manifold and a brass tube coming off the part for the wiper motor. A pot metal setteling bowl screwed into the bottom of the tank. Both the pot metal part on top and the bowl housing on the bottom were broken due to age of the pot metal and being exposed to weather. It is not a Stewart tank. I need the brass part for the top. I have a settling bowl that will work.

Yes that is the fitting I was reffering to, if you post or send me a pict. to see if it is the same as DA maybe I can help. Sediment bowls are avail that are nearly identical to original

Guest rbardin

FYI image taken from 1918 magazine.

post-72131-143138654571_thumb.jpg

I will take the 56-D

I am surprised that Henry let that advertisement fly, seems to be implying that Ford vehicles are especially difficult to start in the winter

Guest rbardin

Kingston tank showing broken pot metal fitting and sediment bowl at bottom of tank. The Imperial primer picked up fuel from the sediment bowl and then injected into the intake manifold.

post-72131-143138654579_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138654587_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138654593_thumb.jpg

Guest rbardin

This is the Imperial Primer That made the Henry F. Mod. T start on those cold winter days. Sure knew how to hurt a guys feelings. Just picked this up on ebay new in box. $3.85 not bad at the time just 1 or 2 kegs.

post-72131-143138727706_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727708_thumb.jpg

post-72131-14313872771_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727712_thumb.jpg

Guest rbardin

What do you think Jason? Did Henry make with serious action? Maybe even had them bend over.

Edited by rbardin (see edit history)

Guest rbardin

This is the Imperial Primer That made the Henry F. Mod. T start on those cold winter days. Sure knew how to hurt a guys feelings. Just picked this up on ebay new in box. $3.85 not bad at the time just 1 or 2 kegs.

post-72131-143138727714_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727715_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727716_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727718_thumb.jpg

Funny how time can change things. My original post refers to a stange looking fuel pump. Now I do not think it strange at all. In fact, very functional in both appearance and performance. LOL

To be announced in the Feb/Mar 2012 issue of the club magazine, the Club Store will be selling a reprint of the entire vacuum tank series (with subsequent comments from readers). Also other reprints including "Tools," "Trucks," "DB Army vehicles," and about four or five more that I can not recall at this moment will be available as bound, full page booklets.

Incidentally, 60CH, my factory literature says that this vacuum booster is to be connected to the MANIFOLD end of the vacuum line, not at the tank. (I need to go out and change mine.) rbardin seems to have something else, or in addition, to this vacuum booster in the kit he bought on ebay. In addition, his box says EXCEPT for Model T and A. Do any of you have literature on your boosters to confirm/deny that it ought to be at the manifold end of the vacuum line?

Guest rbardin

The "Imperial Primer" (not a fuel pump) was used to inject a very small amount of fuel into the intake manifold. It was said to make cold starts easier. (helped pump $'s into the primer mfg's pocket) A similar primer with "Dodge Brothers" stamped on the outer mounting escutcheon sold a week ago on eBay (not cheap). Attached images of advertisements from 1918 & 1919 giva a little of the Ford story. In the 1918 add Ford owners are mentioned but not in 1919. Then later the "Not for Fords" was printed on the box. Also a photo of the fuel pump vacuum line attached to the exhaust part of the manifold and primer line attach points into the intake manifold. The vacuum line had nothing to do with the primer or it's operation. Also a photo of the vacuum line where it attaches to the Kingston #39-F fuel pump mounted on the firewall of my 29 Dodge Victory 6. The wiper motor vacuum hose is attached to the same fitting on top of the fuel pump. If anyone is interested I will post copies of the mounting instructions for the primer. I am keeping the primer on my car even though it is an after-market addition done in late 1929 or early "30's". Heaters, clocks, radios and the like were all after-market not original but it is nice to see how some were used.

post-72131-143138732295_thumb.jpg

post-72131-1431387323_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138732307_thumb.jpg

post-72131-14313873231_thumb.jpg

Guest rbardin

Still trying to enlarge the print size.:)

post-72131-143138732312_thumb.jpg