"Fuel pump"

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

A major delay in picking up "my" DA has been waiting for the strange looking fuel pump to be replaced. It has been replaced but I have a couple of questions.

1) Was / is there more than one mfr. then? now?

2) Is the old one rebuildable?

As always, thanks, Doug

Your car and all DAs ( except Canadian/export ) came with Kingston tanks only, Stewert Warner tanks were never avail originally on the DA model otherwise.

Like Doug said especially if you have an original Kingston they are very simple to go thru, Stewerts are much more complicated, and are prone to breaking as the tops are pot metal.

The only reason you see more Stewerts on these cars is because Stewert Warner had facilities on every street corner back then so it was easier to throw out the Kingstons in favor for the Stewerts.

Kingston is by far a superior tank.

Guest clare30

Most of the Kingston Vac tanks I have seen have a venturie type valve fitted to the to the tank, some were diecast some were brass but they all had an orifice disc fitted . Can anyone out there shine some light on the operation of this device and the reason for different orifice sizes?

I have never seen a diecast Kingston tank nor brass, did quite a bit of research into them some time ago, clare30 can you tell me what model auto that used these tanks?

Guest MidTNDawg

OK, thanks, I have now determined the "pump" is a Stewart. Either it has been replaced in the past or was a Canadian made car based on 1930's comment. It was first delivered in MT. Doug

Most of the Kingston Vac tanks I have seen have a venturie type valve fitted to the to the tank, some were diecast some were brass but they all had an orifice disc fitted . Can anyone out there shine some light on the operation of this device and the reason for different orifice sizes?

Clare, I believe you are referring to the device fitted to the top of the tank. This was used to increase the vacuum to the vacuum tank. Both brands used their own version of this "vacuum amplifier" and both operated on the same venturi principle. They are usually made out of pot metal and are prone to crumbling. Joe

Oh I see yes you are right joe, I misread what was posted, actuall there were three variations, 2 pot metal cast and I have also a brass unit. The orfice size is critical to its correct operation as an add that I have states this clearly not to open it up as some techs were evidently experimenting with back then

Guest clare30

G'day 1930,

I was refering to the fitting on the top of the tank which has the manifold vacuum line attached. There is a brass orifice on the opposite side of the fitting and the wiper motor is vacuum line is fed from it also. Both our DA's have the Kingston tanks fitted. I have heard this fitting was to increase vacuum to the tank.

Regards Clare30.

Yes you are correct Clare, if you are interested you can shoot me an e-mail ( in a couple of weeks ) at jhason2@yahoo.com and I can send you some advertisements explaining how they worked. It may take me that long as I cant presently get to much.

Both Myer and Romar sell the gaskets and springs for the Stewart. Romar rebuilds as well. But sounds as though your seller got it to work. Mine worked for about 20 years and then I replaced with a 6 volt eletric fuel pump. But it left me as the side of the road 3 weeks ago. So, nothing lasts forever! If you want an electric as back up O-Reilly auto has an Airtex item E 8011 pump for $ 52. Even with the vacuum tank I would recommend a gallon of gas and a small funnel if you ever has to charge the vacuum tank or ran out of gas. Also, the DBC News ran a 3 part article in 1998 about how to check out and rework the Stewart. It is on the CD sets the club sells of back issues. The CD's are an excellent investment as is the CD by John B on Victory 6 which has general applicability to cars of this era.

Paul

There is a weep hole in the top of the Kingston tank for a quick fill, cant remember if stewert has same and cant get to my Stewert to see

Guest Backyardmechanic

On some stewert there's a 1/4 inch NPT plug on top on others there no plug but has a center mark on the inside so one could drill/tap for a plug.If you do tare into the vacumm tank be sure to check out the inter tank for pin holes we offen have to make new tanks from galv. sheet metal also the outer tank is bound to be rusty too.This's one reason to pay some one that know what to look for.Simple Yes If one knows what is involved.

Vern

• 1 month later...

"Also, the DBC News ran a 3 part article in 1998 about how to check out and rework the Stewart. It is on the CD sets the club sells of back issues. The CD's are an excellent investment as is the CD by John B on Victory 6 which has general applicability to cars of this era."

Is there supposed to be a link to the club store on the web site? If so, please let me know where it hides. I would like to get a set of the CDs.

• 5 months later...
Guest rbardin

I have a Kingston fuel system that I would like to use that was original on my Dodge Victory 6. The old pot metal parts on the pump can not be used and would like to find brass replacements. Any ideas or info? I see from the posted photos that there is hope to keep it original.

Kingston did not use any pot metal parts except a single fitting at the top of the unit ( there was a brass replacement avail for that piece ) I think you are confused per our tele conversastion and you mean to say Stewert here in which case parts are avail from guys that have spare units for rebuild/replace. Might try Wally Deck His contact info is such

Wallace Deck

PO Box 380

Ridge Farm, IL 61870

(217) 247-2162

e-mail: wdeck40000@comcast.net

Guest rbardin

The unit is a Kingston with the tin top. It has a brass elbow and a pot metal part with the vacuum line coming from the exhaust manifold and a brass tube coming off the part for the wiper motor. A pot metal setteling bowl screwed into the bottom of the tank. Both the pot metal part on top and the bowl housing on the bottom were broken due to age of the pot metal and being exposed to weather. It is not a Stewart tank. I need the brass part for the top. I have a settling bowl that will work.

Yes that is the fitting I was reffering to, if you post or send me a pict. to see if it is the same as DA maybe I can help. Sediment bowls are avail that are nearly identical to original

I will take the 56-D

I am surprised that Henry let that advertisement fly, seems to be implying that Ford vehicles are especially difficult to start in the winter

Guest rbardin

Kingston tank showing broken pot metal fitting and sediment bowl at bottom of tank. The Imperial primer picked up fuel from the sediment bowl and then injected into the intake manifold.

post-72131-143138654579_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138654587_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138654593_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest rbardin

This is the Imperial Primer That made the Henry F. Mod. T start on those cold winter days. Sure knew how to hurt a guys feelings. Just picked this up on ebay new in box. $3.85 not bad at the time just 1 or 2 kegs.

post-72131-143138727706_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727708_thumb.jpg

post-72131-14313872771_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727712_thumb.jpg

Guest rbardin

This is the Imperial Primer That made the Henry F. Mod. T start on those cold winter days. Sure knew how to hurt a guys feelings. Just picked this up on ebay new in box. $3.85 not bad at the time just 1 or 2 kegs.

post-72131-143138727714_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727715_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727716_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138727718_thumb.jpg

Guest MidTNDawg

Funny how time can change things. My original post refers to a stange looking fuel pump. Now I do not think it strange at all. In fact, very functional in both appearance and performance. LOL

To be announced in the Feb/Mar 2012 issue of the club magazine, the Club Store will be selling a reprint of the entire vacuum tank series (with subsequent comments from readers). Also other reprints including "Tools," "Trucks," "DB Army vehicles," and about four or five more that I can not recall at this moment will be available as bound, full page booklets.

Incidentally, 60CH, my factory literature says that this vacuum booster is to be connected to the MANIFOLD end of the vacuum line, not at the tank. (I need to go out and change mine.) rbardin seems to have something else, or in addition, to this vacuum booster in the kit he bought on ebay. In addition, his box says EXCEPT for Model T and A. Do any of you have literature on your boosters to confirm/deny that it ought to be at the manifold end of the vacuum line?

Guest rbardin

The "Imperial Primer" (not a fuel pump) was used to inject a very small amount of fuel into the intake manifold. It was said to make cold starts easier. (helped pump $'s into the primer mfg's pocket) A similar primer with "Dodge Brothers" stamped on the outer mounting escutcheon sold a week ago on eBay (not cheap). Attached images of advertisements from 1918 & 1919 giva a little of the Ford story. In the 1918 add Ford owners are mentioned but not in 1919. Then later the "Not for Fords" was printed on the box. Also a photo of the fuel pump vacuum line attached to the exhaust part of the manifold and primer line attach points into the intake manifold. The vacuum line had nothing to do with the primer or it's operation. Also a photo of the vacuum line where it attaches to the Kingston #39-F fuel pump mounted on the firewall of my 29 Dodge Victory 6. The wiper motor vacuum hose is attached to the same fitting on top of the fuel pump. If anyone is interested I will post copies of the mounting instructions for the primer. I am keeping the primer on my car even though it is an after-market addition done in late 1929 or early "30's". Heaters, clocks, radios and the like were all after-market not original but it is nice to see how some were used.

post-72131-143138732295_thumb.jpg

post-72131-1431387323_thumb.jpg

post-72131-143138732307_thumb.jpg

post-72131-14313873231_thumb.jpg