Sign in to follow this  
MidTNDawg

"Fuel pump"

A major delay in picking up "my" DA has been waiting for the strange looking fuel pump to be replaced. It has been replaced but I have a couple of questions.

1) Was / is there more than one mfr. then? now?

2) Is the old one rebuildable?

As always, thanks, Doug

The only thing to "rebuild" is the gaskets. Clean and check operation of the valves and seats. If any of those are faulty you need used parts. Make sure the tank is air tight. They are pretty simple, don't pay someone to do it.

Your car and all DAs ( except Canadian/export ) came with Kingston tanks only, Stewert Warner tanks were never avail originally on the DA model otherwise.

Like Doug said especially if you have an original Kingston they are very simple to go thru, Stewerts are much more complicated, and are prone to breaking as the tops are pot metal.

The only reason you see more Stewerts on these cars is because Stewert Warner had facilities on every street corner back then so it was easier to throw out the Kingstons in favor for the Stewerts.

Kingston is by far a superior tank.

Doug, thanks for the info. Good to hear "simple" I remember the old diaphram pumps were ever so simple to re-do. Doug

Most of the Kingston Vac tanks I have seen have a venturie type valve fitted to the to the tank, some were diecast some were brass but they all had an orifice disc fitted . Can anyone out there shine some light on the operation of this device and the reason for different orifice sizes?

I have never seen a diecast Kingston tank nor brass, did quite a bit of research into them some time ago, clare30 can you tell me what model auto that used these tanks?

OK, thanks, I have now determined the "pump" is a Stewart. Either it has been replaced in the past or was a Canadian made car based on 1930's comment. It was first delivered in MT. Doug

Most of the Kingston Vac tanks I have seen have a venturie type valve fitted to the to the tank, some were diecast some were brass but they all had an orifice disc fitted . Can anyone out there shine some light on the operation of this device and the reason for different orifice sizes?

Clare, I believe you are referring to the device fitted to the top of the tank. This was used to increase the vacuum to the vacuum tank. Both brands used their own version of this "vacuum amplifier" and both operated on the same venturi principle. They are usually made out of pot metal and are prone to crumbling. Joe

Oh I see yes you are right joe, I misread what was posted, actuall there were three variations, 2 pot metal cast and I have also a brass unit. The orfice size is critical to its correct operation as an add that I have states this clearly not to open it up as some techs were evidently experimenting with back then

G'day 1930,

I was refering to the fitting on the top of the tank which has the manifold vacuum line attached. There is a brass orifice on the opposite side of the fitting and the wiper motor is vacuum line is fed from it also. Both our DA's have the Kingston tanks fitted. I have heard this fitting was to increase vacuum to the tank.

Regards Clare30.

Yes you are correct Clare, if you are interested you can shoot me an e-mail ( in a couple of weeks ) at jhason2@yahoo.com and I can send you some advertisements explaining how they worked. It may take me that long as I cant presently get to much.

Both Myer and Romar sell the gaskets and springs for the Stewart. Romar rebuilds as well. But sounds as though your seller got it to work. Mine worked for about 20 years and then I replaced with a 6 volt eletric fuel pump. But it left me as the side of the road 3 weeks ago. So, nothing lasts forever! If you want an electric as back up O-Reilly auto has an Airtex item E 8011 pump for $ 52. Even with the vacuum tank I would recommend a gallon of gas and a small funnel if you ever has to charge the vacuum tank or ran out of gas. Also, the DBC News ran a 3 part article in 1998 about how to check out and rework the Stewart. It is on the CD sets the club sells of back issues. The CD's are an excellent investment as is the CD by John B on Victory 6 which has general applicability to cars of this era.

Paul

No, you need to refill either the carb or put a little gas in the vacuum tank. When the car starts leave it idle, highest vacuum, it will quickly fill the tank.

There is a weep hole in the top of the Kingston tank for a quick fill, cant remember if stewert has same and cant get to my Stewert to see

On some stewert there's a 1/4 inch NPT plug on top on others there no plug but has a center mark on the inside so one could drill/tap for a plug.If you do tare into the vacumm tank be sure to check out the inter tank for pin holes we offen have to make new tanks from galv. sheet metal also the outer tank is bound to be rusty too.This's one reason to pay some one that know what to look for.Simple Yes If one knows what is involved.

Vern

"Also, the DBC News ran a 3 part article in 1998 about how to check out and rework the Stewart. It is on the CD sets the club sells of back issues. The CD's are an excellent investment as is the CD by John B on Victory 6 which has general applicability to cars of this era."

Is there supposed to be a link to the club store on the web site? If so, please let me know where it hides. I would like to get a set of the CDs.

Guest rbardin

I have a Kingston fuel system that I would like to use that was original on my Dodge Victory 6. The old pot metal parts on the pump can not be used and would like to find brass replacements. Any ideas or info? I see from the posted photos that there is hope to keep it original.

Kingston did not use any pot metal parts except a single fitting at the top of the unit ( there was a brass replacement avail for that piece ) I think you are confused per our tele conversastion and you mean to say Stewert here in which case parts are avail from guys that have spare units for rebuild/replace. Might try Wally Deck His contact info is such

Wallace Deck

PO Box 380

Ridge Farm, IL 61870

(217) 247-2162

e-mail: wdeck40000@comcast.net