1947 distributor and points replacement???

Pete Phillips

Can anyone tell me how the rotor comes out of the distributor, so I can replace the points in a 1947 Lincoln V-12? There is not enough clearance between the rotor and the post the points pivot on, to get the new set of points installed. I cannot figure out how to get access to the bottom of the distributor to get the rotor out.

Pete Phillips

Sherman, TX

Pete, be aware that after replacing the points they will need to be synchronized. This can be done the "old fashioned way" with straight edges and a scale but should really be done on a machine. In order to get the rotor out you will need to separate the the breaker-advance mechanism from the distributor housing. Remove the screw and plate from the right side of the housing and the vacuum brake nut and piston from the other side of the housing.

You can now carefully tap the complete breaker and advance mechanism out the rear of the housing. The rotor can then be removed. After replacing the points you will need to reassemble the distributor in order to set the point gap. You might want to consider sending the distributor to Jake Fleming in Dallas as he's the guy with the know how and has the equipment to put the distributor in top shape.