Anyone bought parts from overseas?

RoadsterRich

I have located a number of parts for my 1930 Chrysler 77 over seas. What sort of customs issues and duty should one expect? Is there appropriate wording for the customs forms? I want to be above board, just not stupid and put the wrong thing down and end up with them tied up for months, rejected or costing me more in duty than the parts themselves cost... The parts are used American made parts, not sure if that makes a difference or not.<P>Any information is greatly appreciated.<P>Rich

Rich:<P>Personally, I would phone the Customs Service, unless, someone on the DF is a "Pro" on the issue. Most companies actually have a designated "Overseas Importing/Exporting" department, just to let you know how specialized it can be.<P>My initial thoughts were to label them "Used Automotive Replacement Parts" to keep the value honest and truthful.<P>To let you know how a slight error in description can cost big bucks domestically, if we ship a raw casting it is Class 50 - the lowest. If we simply put a drilled hole in the casting, it is considered Class 70 - Semi-Finished, then the freight rates skyrocket.<P>The way rules & regulations change by the hour today, I, again, would phone the people at Customs.<P>Regards,<P>Peter J.<P> confused.gif" border="0

There are actually two (and maybe more) problems. One is the "used parts" nature of the items, ie how will they be accepted at customs. Some of this may very well depend on what country. For example I know some men in Costa Rica who have some operations in Miami. We've only had a few parts exchanges. I send parts to Miami and they send parts from Miami. Some Candiaians have similar contacts to make it easier. I've sent some small parts identified as gift used parts to England and they went through with no problem. I guess it must depend on what size, weight, numbers, etc. and on what contacts can be established.<P>The second problem is dealing with acceptable currencys and exchange rates. I have a friend overseas that has access to parts I need and he has a couple of US cars and I have better access than he does. I buy the parts he needs and send him a gift. He does the same for me and we keep a running tab. If the tab gets too lopsided, we figure out a payment. Sometime the cost of getting an overseas certified check in the proper currency can cost more than the parts. mad.gif" border="0

The parts will be coming from New Zealand. The currency exchange is not an issue as he quoted me prices in US$, and is a verified international PayPal user.<P>My main concern is with customs and of course duty. I don't think I could be comfortable declaring an item as a gift if I have paid for it. I understand the exchange concept, but this is clearly a financial transaction. I merely don't want to get it stuck in a higher taxation category because I didn't know how to declare it, not to put it in one it doesn't belong in. Or worse stuck in some customs warehouse or returned because of the wrong words.<P>The seller will be shipping priority mail. I have been told that the more descriptive the itemizations are, the less likely it is to be delayed. I would assume this might be something like "Used Left Front Shock Absorber, Delco-Lovejoy 15X1250F-G". Though perhaps used is not a good word. I had little luck trying to talk to Customs, perhaps it was my ignorance as to what I really needed to ask.<P>Seems mighty complicated to just buy a few car parts... yeesh.<P>Rich

The advent of the Euro in MOST countries on the continent has simplified currency exchanges. However, the UK and a few others have NOT converted to the Euro, so it is the same old story there.<P>I suggest you not go it alone, but rather spend the money and seek professional assistence if there is any real money involved in the purchase. If it is a small amount, then you might want to wing it.<P>1937 says that he has had no problem shipping to other countries. It is not the shipper who usually has problems, it is the recipient of the shipment who does.<P>Some years ago I shipped some early '50s curved windshields to South Africa. No sweat on my end, but it was hell for the reciever. Sent some to Switzerland, and there was apparently no trouble on either end.<P>Remember, you are on the receiving end. Most countries don't care what you ship out or take out, but can be really tough on what comes in. This is only my opinion and I could be wrong, but I think the key here is "Used antique automobile parts of US manufacture and/or origin." I can't say whether you should say "Over 70 years old" or not. Again, a pro would know. ~ hvs<P>Rich ~ I just read your last post after making mine. Some of what I said is no longer relevent to your question.<P>Remember that when dealing with Customs people, that they are Government employees and therefore part of the Government, and you know the old oxymoron, "We're from the Government and we're here to help." Yeah, sure.<p>[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: hvs ]

Okay, now I am really confused. I spoke with a broker (he is not automotive, but still a professional broker) who is a friend of a friend. He said that used auto parts manufactured in the US being sold back in to the US should not have any duty. It seems that the real key as near as I can tell is in using the proper customs form, and being very accurate on the country of origin, and the contents of the package.<P>Still asking around, as it seems the answers very with who you ask...<P>Rich

Rich...<P>As I posted earlier, "go to the Pros".<P>You are getting well intentioned data here, but, the U.S. Customs Service will, at least, give you some guidelines. See what they say, then, if you have to gerry-rig, go for it. On the web, go for U.S. Customs.<P>Regards,<P>Peter J.<p>[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Peter J Heizmann ]

used parts "coming home to roost" have no duty, and adding the text "used antique auto part for 1930 vintage auto " will help.<BR> The company I work for receives hundreds of dollars of new reproduction antique auto parts every year from "down under" and as of yet we have not had any duty to pay. Most goods are shipped through the postal system, although there are some exceptions. grin.gif" border="0 <BR>Bill

I have imported parts from England on several occasions. Used parts carry no duty, regardless of country of origin. New (repro) items do carry a duty. Most shippers can take care of the duties on their end. If the part in question is new and expensive you will need to go through a shipping agent. They will take care of receiving your parts, getting them thru customs, and getting them to you.

Rich, For what it is worth, I bought NOS<BR>Buick Parts from a person in Finland, and it was the easiest transaction I have ever had.<BR>This person had a friend in the Postal business. Like we have UPS here. The ONLY stipulation was that the parts had to be shipped to a Business here. Because of the anthrax thing. It cost me $20 Shipping Charge<BR>and the parts got to me in 7 days. From Finland to Rockford, Illinois in 7 Days. There was NO duty. No extra tax. Have them send it to your Business. I work out of my home ( Real Estate Broker ). I just had them sendd the parts to Greg Thomas Realtor. At my<BR>home address because my home IS my Business Address. If you do not have a home business, have them send it to your place of employment. I was told by the Finland shipper<BR>that as long as the "shipment" was going to a business, it would eliminate ALL the problems. I hope this helps you. Greg....

To follow up on this thread, first off thanks to everyone who responded, the information was great! Special thanks to Bob McAnlis for the detailed information he took the time to provide me. Bob is a stellar example of what makes AACA and the Discussion Forums here on the website most invaluable to anyone working on an Antique Car.<P>The short version for those that don't care for my lengthy dissertations is: The parts left New Zealand 31 Jan 2002, arrived Melbourne Florida 4 Feb 2002. There was no duty as all parts were of a United States manufacture. The parts were shipped Air Mail and arrived at my house at Noon, delivered via DHL.<P>(now for the long version...)<P>The service was fantastic, the parts were heavy so the postal bill was better than $100, but well worth the price. The box was a little worse for wear, however it was extra carefully packed so there was no damage to anything and all arrived safely. DHL noted the damage to the box on delivery in case there were any issurance claims issues. The driver also said that DHL now has its own customs office here in the U.S. and things move much faster.<P>My next round of parts are reproduction so we shall see how I fair on the duty, they will be shipped this coming week. I will report back on how I fair with the non-US origin parts. At this point I must say this was every bit as simple as any US based transaction, with the exception of my paranoia about dealing with customs. <P>Thanks again to all who helped out, your information and assistance is and was greatly appreciated...<P>Rich