Electronic Climate Control Question

Guest fcr

Had to remove panel to install new radio. NOW, Never get any blower air from vents on dash, just upper and lower. Panel lights up just fine. Air blows out of defroster in all modes.:confused.

Advice appreciated,

Frank

There is a hose that runs the vaccume form the engine to the inside of the car. I had mine go bad. This hose is located in the center of the fire wall,where the ABS,and fuel pump relays are, it runs from the engine to the firewall. I would check this connection.

And the hoses (several) all go to the bottom of the HVAC programmer, a black box next to the ECM behind the glove box.

Must say I'd be tempted to check the wiring behind the HVAC controller and above the radio (am assuming a 90 or 91 from what you said) first. You should not have been near the vacuum lines changing the radio.

That is WHY I said look at the connection on the firewall. You have to READ what is said very carefully to under stand. When the radio was stated that tells me it has to be a 1990 or 1991 model year.

Guest Kingsley

I will ease in my thread with the initial one so other related problems are reflected also.

When turning the igniion "on" in the morning, the AC blower will automatically activate even it was definitely in an "off" mode when last shut down and was not triggered at next start up.

Same problem on my '90 convertible - the same "none manual" activation but blower self-activates. Putting everything aside, could it be some existing temp condition outside the set temp range causing this?

The blower motor module, this is a guess, it is located on the firewall on the passanger side of the car, under the hood. The manual will tell you more about the unit.

Guest Richard D

Padgett, wasn't that the begining of Astro Ventilation? I remember reading the owners manual of a 1967 or 68 Impala and they explained that with the new Astro system the fan runs on low all the time and draws outside air. Please don't ask why I was reading 40 year old owners manuals, I really do have a life. i think

Richard

Guest Mc_Reatta

So much for my theory that it might be due to the power up testing the BCM does during the initial self checks.

I have never noticed this phenomena in any of my cars. I'll try to test out Padgett's thought on why this happens while the weather here will allow it. Usually the control sits on Max Cool all the time, and I know it comes back on in that mode when restarted.

A knowledge of the BCM programming would tell the tale, but alas, this still escapes us.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Kingsley, have verified in an 89 that the blower fan comes back on in the setting it was last in after stopping and restarting the car.

This includes the off position.

The BCM is supposed to save the climate control settings and the radio presets in non-volatile memory along with the mileage, VIN # etc. so that they can be recalled on start up.

There are two separate memory banks so that two drivers can store this information independently when they share the car. Which bank is used is selected from the CRT screen at start up.

Sounds like your BCM or that memory chip is getting flakey.

Do your radio presets remain?

If the fan runs on low all the time rather than off as Padgett suggests, it is not reflected in the CRT Climate Control Screen's fan speed indicator.