Anyone Know Any Regulator/cutout Restorers?

hddennis

Guest BobD735

Hi,

Have you considered removing the existing wire, and rewinding your existing coil with the same wire gage/length, and replacing the points?

Bob

Guest BobD735

Hi Howard,

You might consider, using the regulator/cutout photos that you published and re-submit them in the Buy/Sell section of this web site, requesting information and part sources for the pieces you are looking for.

Lots of luck!

Bob

Hey Bob, I hunted for these for 3 years and bought every one I could find. If there are more out there they are being kept. I even advertised on eBay multiple times and got NADA. I think your first suggestion is the route I'll try now, pretty sure I could rewind it but still need a source for points and spring steel to rebuild the double contact arms. The quest continues.

Howard Dennis

Guest richentee

Spring steel can be had from McMaster Carr. The points you might have to scavenge from another regulator, a T or later. If that metal box box in picture two contains a capacitor to protect the points that will require some research to size correctly. Good luck.

Richentee I thought McMaster Carr would be my best bet just hadn't dug the catalog out yet. I wished this was as simple as some people make it sound but this is the most complicated early electrical system I have ever ran into. It switches between 6 & 12 volts and the current also reverses itself. I've collected every piece of period literature I've ever come across for the last 3 years. The manuals of the time don't even agree and as if that isn't bad enough there appears to be 5-7 variations of this dash made by Briggs-Stratton. That capacitor you mentioned is the very reason this unit is the last one I'm trying to save, the other 5 dashes I've restored didn't have it.

Howard Dennis