1949 Plymouth

Guest sclatimer

Guest sclatimer

I have a 1949 Plymouth P-18. The engine was replaced once about 40 years ago. The engine number is TI46 - 36566. Does anyone know what year this engine is and what car it would have come from?

Generally Chrysler engines with a "T" prefix were installed in a truck. I don't have a list of Dodge truck engine numbers to go further than that though.

Engine number prefixes:

P -> Plymouth

D -> Dodge car

C -> Chrysler

S -> DeSoto

T -> Dodge truck (maybe Fargo too?)

PT -> Plymouth Truck

I -> Industrial

Apparently Chrysler shipped replacement engines with no number at all so the installer could stamp them.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

T146 is the model number of an engine from a 1948 or 49 Dodge B-1-D truck. 230 cu in and 102 HP.

It is practically identical to the original engine except for a slightly longer stroke than the original 217, giving it a little more "oomph", 102HP vs 97.

There are a few detail differences like different part number carburetor and distributor and possibly a slightly different arrangement of heater hose outlets. But basically, they built only one motor and altered it slightly for different applications.

Parts are available. They made millions of those motors. A lot of things can be ordered from NAPA or local parts stores. Or from online vintage car parts suppliers. A company called Vintage Power Wagons has tons of parts.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)