Sign in to follow this  
DJRCShop

1955 Pontiac Intake Manifold Help........

I'm looking for some information, I have a 55 pontiac chieftain with the 287 2bbl. i want to convert to a 4bbl, and i cannot find a intake that will fit, it can be aftermarket im not picky and i dont really want anything flashy. I just want i little more power. I will also need a 4bbl carb too....

Thanks

Jay

I'm looking for some information, I have a 55 pontiac chieftain with the 287 2bbl. i want to convert to a 4bbl, and i cannot find a intake that will fit, it can be aftermarket im not picky and i dont really want anything flashy. I just want i little more power. I will also need a 4bbl carb too....

Thanks

Jay

I once owned a '55 Pontiac Super Chief and it was a really great car. As far as I know the 4bbl intakes for all Pontiac engines through the 389 should fit unless there were major changes in the heads that would prevent using certain later intakes. Guys with the Pontiac Club can tell you which ones work and which ones don't.

Now to your objective: I'd stick with what you have simply because a 4bbl is not going to give you any significant improvement in performance with the 287's low compression. Beyond that the transmission if an automatic is not going to give you any blow everything off the road performance either. '56 models got a new transmission which helped but if you got into changing out the tranny you'd also likely have to change the steering column shift linkages as well, maybe even the steering column.

Under no circumstance to you want to stress that old gal too much as you will most certainly have rocker stud issues unless the ones in the heads have been replaced.

Jim

thanks Jim, maybe i will just have the 2bbl rebuilt. i just would like to be able to cruise 55, 65 instead of taking back roads, to the shows.

Jay

If you can't cruise at 65 something is wrong. I don't know what but when it was new your car was easily capable of keeping up with traffic on the new interstates and had a top speed around 100 MPH.

The mid 50s Olds I had would cruise 70 plus all day long and I would presume the same era Pontiacs would too unless someone changed the gears in the rear end,a local junkyard has about 5 55 or 56 pontiacs so I can look for a 4 bbl the next time I go there.

hi, a 2bbl 287 put out 180 horses, the 4bbl power pack up the horses to 200, jim, 8 to 1 compression wasn't low compression in 1955, the 56 316 engine made 20 more horses, but the strato-flight hydra-matic took 20 more horses to operate, no better jim. the 287 and 316 had the same port sizes intake manifold to cyl heads. you can use an aftermarket intake manifold as long as the water passages match the shape of thoses in the 55 heads. manifold will interchange from 1955 to 1960, but if you have power steering, you need to stay with the 55-56 factory intake. with the 2bbl and a good non-tired engine, and a good tune up, no reason why you couldn't go 70-80 mph all day. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina with the power pack 287 V8, dual range hydra-matic.

I once owned a '55 Pontiac Super Chief and it was a really great car. As far as I know the 4bbl intakes for all Pontiac engines through the 389 should fit unless there were major changes in the heads that would prevent using certain later intakes. Guys with the Pontiac Club can tell you which ones work and which ones don't.

Now to your objective: I'd stick with what you have simply because a 4bbl is not going to give you any significant improvement in performance with the 287's low compression. Beyond that the transmission if an automatic is not going to give you any blow everything off the road performance either. '56 models got a new transmission which helped but if you got into changing out the tranny you'd also likely have to change the steering column shift linkages as well, maybe even the steering column.

Under no circumstance to you want to stress that old gal too much as you will most certainly have rocker stud issues unless the ones in the heads have been replaced.

Jim

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off interchange without modification. Intake manifolds are as follows:

1955, 56, 57-58, 59-60, 61-62, 63-64, 65-71, 72-76. So you will need a 55 only 4bbl. intake manifold.

Automatic trans for your car is the very good D-type Hydramatic trans, and was still present in 56 860 and 870 Chieftains, only star chief got the new dual coupling Strato-Flight (later to be named Super Hydramatic),Hydramatic division called it Controlled Coupling Hydramatic. Just remember that the trans you have was the basis for the famous B&M Hydro stick and ended up in many race cars as well as heavy duty stock applications in GMC and some Chevrolet trucks.

As far as performance HP. goes, you will gain a LITTLE with the 4bbl. over the 2bbl (7.4 vs. 8.0 compression) and you will not be over-carbureted because both engines use the same # 640 camshaft. The car will get- if driven properly for mileage, better fuel mileage with the 4bbl. because the small primaries are more efficient than the larger 2bbl - they have better velosity at light throttle and atomize fuel better.

Don

A suggestion:

At this point in time, try to determine WHY you can't cruise at 70 MPH?????

So a compression test.

Check out the ignition.

It just may be that when you restore the Pontiac's correct performance, your desire for a four-barrel will disappear. IN ANY CASE, assuming the 2 barrel isn't completely plugged, replacing a good 2 barrel with a good 4 barrel is NOT going to solve other issues. Solve the other issues first.

Jon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off interchange without modification. Intake manifolds are as follows:

1955, 56, 57-58, 59-60, 61-62, 63-64, 65-71, 72-76. So you will need a 55 only 4bbl. intake manifold.

Automatic trans for your car is the very good D-type Hydramatic trans, and was still present in 56 860 and 870 Chieftains, only star chief got the new dual coupling Strato-Flight (later to be named Super Hydramatic),Hydramatic division called it Controlled Coupling Hydramatic. Just remember that the trans you have was the basis for the famous B&M Hydro stick and ended up in many race cars as well as heavy duty stock applications in GMC and some Chevrolet trucks.

As far as performance HP. goes, you will gain a LITTLE with the 4bbl. over the 2bbl (7.4 vs. 8.0 compression) and you will not be over-carbureted because both engines use the same # 640 camshaft. The car will get- if driven properly for mileage, better fuel mileage with the 4bbl. because the small primaries are more efficient than the larger 2bbl - they have better velosity at light throttle and atomize fuel better.

Don

Don: Not much can be added to all the great information in your post.

Jay: Pontiac made a lot of cars in 55 and a substantial amount had a 4-barrel. Rochester was the 1st carb offered in production followed by the Carter. You should be able to find a stock set up without to much of a problem. I have the 4-barrel Carter and cruising at 70 all day long isn't an issue. I even had it up to 95 on a few occasions. Gas milage is 10 to 12 mpg.

thanks for all the reply's, The current 2bbl carb on the car is not the original one i tracked the numbers off it, its off of a 1957 gm truck, it is a rochester. and its definitely junk. ive been searching for a intake for months now and have had no luck. im open to anyone that has a intake and carb. i'm in Mass.

thanks for all the reply's, The current 2bbl carb on the car is not the original one i tracked the numbers off it, its off of a 1957 gm truck, it is a rochester. and its definitely junk. ive been searching for a intake for months now and have had no luck. im open to anyone that has a intake and carb. i'm in Mass.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you asked anyone in the Oakland/Pontiac Club of AACA? There are at least seven pictures of 55's on their site. Have you gone to Performance years Forums webb site? A bunch of information on their site. How about POCI webb site?

Don

hi, you may want to check out pontiacsafari.com. a very informative site about the early pontiac V8 engines, and related parts, specs, interchangability, etc. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I still have a 1955 Pont. 4bbl intake no carb $125.00 + shipping I toke

this a 55 about 10 years ago.

John Hanson

johnanddee1956@yahoo.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go Jay! Perfect! Thanks for chiming in John!

Don