Mr Earl Please !

Mark Simmons

Mr. Earl I am a Pre-War forum guy as I own a '34 series 40 model 41 but often cross over to the post -war side to see what's up with the newer car crowd. I have become a staunch fan of this whole crew over here even if you're the modern folks. I was reading with rapted interest the thread of a few years ago about the black modified 54 Buick that raced or races in Mexico. I watched with much interest the videos of the car screaming along the road. I was wondering if there is any news of that Buick or the white '54 with the two black stripes? Also if you've made any progress on the '54 "Muscle Buick" with the factory stick shift? Lastly the "Spam Pie" thread had me rolling and in tears by the time I got to the end of it--the thread not the pie. That sure brought back a lot of memories good-uns at that. May I request that I be able to chirp-in from time to time even if I'm part of the old car crowd ? Mark Simmons BCA# 45145

May I request that I be able to chirp-in from time to time even if I'm part of the old car crowd ? Mark Simmons BCA# 45145

Hmmmmm let me see....

Likes 54 Buick's....check

Likes Spam pie.....check

Keeping MrEarls feet to the fire on Texas Pete...Check

Yep your in! ....chirp away, with those credentials you get a front row seat at 1954Buick.com also ;)

May I request that I be able to chirp-in from time to time even if I'm part of the old car crowd ? Mark Simmons BCA# 45145

We can be even more fun in person, usually. (You should have seen Mr. Earl's facial expression when I asked him, in the hospitality breakfast room at the recent South Central Buick Meet in Fredericsburb, with him not knowing who I was . . . "Are you the Greek Fisherman I've been reading about?") Check out the pictures of Mr. Earl as he showed-off his '54 Buick down there, too!

Come and stay whenever you like and for as long as you can tolerate it!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Welcome aboard Mark. Uhhhm I love them lil 34 Specials and quite a few of the other Pre-war Buicks. Wouldn't take much to talk me into some tradin some day. About that La Carrera PanAmericana Buick. The white with black stripes is the same car as the black. A fellow named Othon built it and raced 3 years before his wife made him give it up. But it is still racing and came in 5th in a the Mayor group of 20 cars this last October with only about 20 minutes behind the first car, a Studebaker. My dream has always been to have a PanAm car, but that has dwindled to someday driving my newly acquired little Texas Pete Special down to watch.

About 54Muscle. It still resides at Buick Gardens , however it is awaiting transport to it's new owner, El Diablo, in Germany.

Glad you like Spam Pie. Please get yourself a helpin of it ever now and then. Guaranteed good for the soul.

So yes, please do join us young folk here on the Post War forum. We won't let nothing like a World War stand between us. But let me warn ya, watch that Texas crowd. Especially them Texez Road Waryer's. DO NOT TURN YOUR BACK TO THEM, especially when they have a camera in there hands.

Now ol Pete Phillips though, he's alright. In fact he just acquired himself another little 54 c-dan. Probably about the 3-4th 54 he's owned. He's still trying to figure our how I talked him out of the sweetest little one owner, no rust whatsoever, quietest runnin 264 Special ever was. Other than them rascals, everybody else here is just good ol Buick boys. and girls.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Especially for the new guy, Mark.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o36I9kNz3HE" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Same car with the new owner/driver. Othon says he is a much better driver than he was. Othon is very humble.

Mr. Earl, Thanks for the test drive. Maybe I should start looking around for a '54 Buick as my next project (Like I don't have enough on my hands with the '34). Do you think they'll still be runnin this race in 20years? Oh and is there a cut off age for drivers? Let's see wheelchair to car, unbuckle, get into car buckle up, start car, oh wait almost forgot stow wheelchair for pit stops ha,ha,ha. I'd just like to see that car and race in person. Oh well someday I hope. Mark

That was a brilliant video Lamar -- I think the most treacherous part of the drive was weaving through the crowds at the end. How folks didn't get their feet run over I'll never now. Like the "blue babes" handing out water.

Historical question: Did the original Carrera Panamerica race cars in the 50's use drum brakes? I can see how the cars of the day had plenty of GO, but did they have as much STOP ? The car shown here had Wilwood brakes listed-- which makes sense. Great driver too, very smooth.

Budd