Chrome (Re) Plating Experiences?

Hello, I have a 1965 Plymouth Fury I am restoring. It's time to do the chrome on the bumpers, most of the quotes I get seem outrageous to me, $400. plus for each bumper. I did find a place in Richmond, VA that is advertising in Hemmings called Hanlon Plating Co, they have very attractive prices, has anybody had any experience with them or do you have any suggestions for chrome work? I'm in the Charlotte, NC area. Thanks.

Bluesmobile:<P>1937 is right on the mark. For my '72 TR-6, I paid $1400 for 2 bumpers, 2 door handles, 2 headlight trim rings, and, the polishing of 2 sill strips.<P>You are in the "pay now, or, pay later" stage of restoration.<P>I can say nothing but great about:<P> Librandi Plating<BR> 93 Airport Drive<BR> Middletown, PA 17057<P> 717/944-9442<P>They are extremely good, and, in no way will you lose parts. I work in Wrightsville, about 30 minutes from them. I would call, ask for Todd Librandi, President. If you opt to go with them, let me know, and, I will monitor the progress. (I go by there a lot).<P>Bumper Boyz: I, too, have not heard many positive comments about them.<P>Regards, Peter J.<P> wink.gif" border="0

Dear Bluesmobile, Having restored many cars over the years has given me a lot of experience with chrome plating guys. At the top of my list would be Librandi's in Harrisburg, PA (great value for the quality) and at the very bottom of the list would be Hanlon in Richmond, VA. You really do get what you pay for with chrome plating. By the way, Todd Librandi has two types of chrome plating to choose from. Show chrome and 'regular' chrome. There 'regular' chrome is a good or better than other platers 'show chrome' I highly recomend them smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 The turnaround time is usually six (6) weeks. Good luck, Jeff

Dear Bluesmobile,<BR> I have not had a good experience with Hanlon Plating in Richmond, Va and do not recommend them. There have been many comments at Hershey that it is a shame that my car is so good and the newly-plated chrome is so bad!! The last time I tried to deal with them I had to immediately return the items because it peeled off before it was back on the car. Do not be lured by the prices because it will cost you in the long run. The secret of good plating is in the preparation and my experience was that this is not being done at Hanlon. Good luck.

I called about a dozen plating companies for qoutes when I was getting my bumpers replated on my 65 Eldorado. Several co's have two levels of quality. The cheapest qoute was from Tri-Cities plating in Elizabethton TN (near Johnson City TN). They said they do nothing but "show chrome". I took my bumpers there and they had them ready in about 3 weeks. The quality was awesome. One lower bumper end was rusted and had a few pin hole in it when I took it there. They repaired all of it except one pin hole. I took it back and they gladly fixed it and replated it to show condition. It has been a year now and it looks as good as the day I picked it up. They are only about a 2-3 hr drive away from Charlotte NC. They have a web site. I think it is <A HREF="http://www.tricityplating.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tricityplating.com</A> If not they usually advertise in Hemings or you could call info for Elizabethton TN area code 423. Good luck

I and several members of our local club have used Chrome-Rite plating in Fayetteville, NC.<BR>Reasonable turn around time and does good work at an affordable price. One friend had over $3,000 of plating done. They have a space at the Charlotte spring show. I do not have their number at the present time but can get it if needed. Send me an email for any other questions. smile.gif" border="0

bluesmobile<BR>I had some work done by them the chrome job was alright , if your not building a show car - my car parts were a mix of steel and pot metal - they aren't real good with pot metal - but they made no guaranteed about these type of parts - as to your question about bumpers ,I like the way they looked but I thought they could have cleaned the backsides better - I would still sent them more work - as you said they do have a fair price - ask how long it will take to get parts back - good luck with project rolleyes.gif" border="0

They told me it would take about three weeks to get the bumpers back. How long did it take for you to get yours? I would probably take them there in person and might pick them up in person just so I could check the quality of the work. I just need a good job, does not have to be high dollar 100 point restoration work. I have a friend who bought bumpers from The Bumper Boyz in California via one of the shows,he has a 49 Chevy, but the chrome peeled off within in year, he had the hassle of shipping the parts back but apparently they did warranty the work. But they also want $400. for each bumper.<P>Can anyone recommend a place that is good for rechroming small steel parts (not potmetal)? Place that won't warp or lose the parts?

DO NOT GO WITH THE BUMPER BOYS!!!<P>My explanation is way too long to post here without making your eyes tired.<P>See some of my observations on this company on BCA message board re: same topic.<P>In a nutshell, you will throw your money away.<P>RB40Buick<BR>BCA#9592