Changing from manual steering to power steering on my 57 Special

1957buickjim

Has anyone out there changed from manual steering to power steering on there vehicle? I am looking for any and all information regarding that. I think I have all the components (pump, 2 groove pulley, PS gear, hoses, associated bracketry, pitman arm), but noticed in the MPM that I might need a different ilder arm and potentially different tie rods? Is that the case?

Also would be interested in any pros / cons of such a change as well as level of difficulty in doing so. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim:

It does appear that you need the intermediate steering rod Group 6.230, P/N 5670312 (Power) opposed to: 6.230, P/N 5670403 (Series 40/60 Regular)

I did help a club member change over a Century, about 10 years ago, but I do not remember changing the tie rod.

It was a pretty big job, as I remember we wished that we had removed the left front fender and inner fender before we started.

Dan

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

I moved my only power steering setup twice - to two different Specials though the last time was nearly 30 years ago. As I remember, I didn't change the intermediate rod, the first time - worked ok, but got a little binding at full turn in one direction, I think. The idler arm (Grp 6.231, # 5670300) is a different length and needs to match up with the different length of the pitman. Outer tie rods are the same. You'll need double pulleys for both the crank & fan - if you can get these all from the same car as the pump mounting brackets, the belts should line up (different pulley offsets on different years/cars). Put new seals in the box and pump while you have them out.

I don't remember it being a very difficult changeover, well worth the trouble. Makes the car much more pleasurable to drive.

Thanks Dan and Keith. Looks like I will have to pick up the idler arm. I will have to look for an intermediate rod though. I have changed out the seals in the pump but not the box. Is that an easy change? I do have a set of seals for it, I think. Also, i have the original HP hose. I am wondering if I can still use that? I did buy a new one from the NJ boys, but it is a bit different than the original. Can the original be rebuilt? Any ideas? Thanks again.

The box seals were easy - I think I just got standard seals of correct size from a bearing and seal store. I think my hose is original. If yours is in good shape it might last quite a while. I don't know how you would rebuild it and keep it looking original; you'd probably have to weld a connector onto the steel tube.