Great vintage passing eye mirror that is very gently used but still in very good condition. Will fit several makes/models/years, and simply needs to be screwed onto the vehicle. There are no cracks, chips, or breaks anywhere, & chrome is acceptable for a show car. Both of the mirrors are adjustable, and the glass has no cracks or breaks and is clear.

Overall, a rare accessory for anyone owning/restoring just about any classic auto or of course hot rods/rat rods! Please ask any questions. Asking $250 o.b.o<!-- START CLTAGS -->

post-72829-143138416489_thumb.jpg

post-72829-143138416499_thumb.jpg

post-72829-143138416507_thumb.jpg

When mounted, the driver looks into the mirror facing him which is opposite and offset/staggered from the other. the other mirror which is pointing forward shows what is ahead of the driver's car enabling the driver to determine if he could pass.

I once mounted one of these off-set on the left side of the windshield frame of my 1948 MG-TC. That model was only made in Right-hand drive. On the two-lane back roads of New Jersey, Upstate New York, and the New England states, you could get behind a big truck and be stuck there for a long time. To see well enough to pass, you would actually be in the way of on-coming traffic. This style mirror made it a little bit safer to see what was coming the other way without getting creamed.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

I Have One Of Those Mirrors.

But I Was Told That The Were Called A Cat's Eye Passing Mirror.

I Haven't Used It In Some Time...Perhaps Like A Lil Over 15 Year's.

But It's In Very Good Condition And If The Money Is Right May Sale It.

I believe that "Cat's Eye" may have been a brand name. I had read once that these were outlawed in some places, but that's just second hand info which I wouldn't worry about. The story was that while the mirrors allowed you to see forward, it could confuse a driver and cause him to pull out while another car was actually overtaking him from the rear. I imagine that they could really disorienting when for some. I would never hesitate to mount one on my car, but I'd promise myself to never rely on it for anything! Maybe the best thing you could do is put some tape over one of the mirrors to keep it from actually functioning. 

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)