jetaway transmission Olds 442

Guest dwcchc1

Guest dwcchc1

I am looking at a 65 442 with the jetaway transmission, original motor, and 323 rear. It is only getting 9 or 10 miles to the gallon. Any guesses as to why the mileage is so bad. The engine is not turning excessive rpms.

I'd say that's about right for that combination. Back in the day, they were really not noted for fuel mileage. A carb rebuild might help, but you factor in ethanol fuel and I doubt you'll get much better. My Cruiser with 350 would get about 16 mpg until ethanol entered the picture, now 13.5-14 is about the best it can do.

'Course premium fuel was less than 30 cents a gallon back then too.

I am looking at a 65 442 with the jetaway transmission, original motor, and 323 rear. It is only getting 9 or 10 miles to the gallon. Any guesses as to why the mileage is so bad. The engine is not turning excessive rpms.

I'll agree with what Glenn said, especially the part about ethanol in gasoline. Most folks do not realize that the lower energy content in the ethanol will adversely affect mileage.

Of course, as with any old car, is it in correct tune and mechanical condition? Simple things like tuneup, plug wires, alignment, and brake adjustment can make dramatic improvements in mileage. Other things like mechanical wear (worn timing chain, worn suspension components, dragging wheel bearings) can also reduce mileage. When was the last time the carb was rebuilt? Are there cracked and leaking vacuum lines? Finally, is the car being driven the same way as a daily driver, or is the added horsepower being used? ;)