Bruno's boo boo

Dave Mellor NJ

This is from an article in "Liberty Magazine",Nov. 9, 1935. It tells of Bruno Hauptmann using a marked ransom bill to buy gas. The alert attendant wrote the license number down which led to his capture. the station was at 127th street and Lexington Avenue in New York City. His car was a 31 Dodge. I heard it was a coupe but this article says sedan.

gasstationwhereBrunoHauptmannboughtgas.jpg

Hauptmann claimed he was given the bill by a so called investment adviser who owed him money. This adviser was proven to be a con man who was running a Ponzi scheme in the local German American community. It is believed he bought the ransom money for pennies on the dollar and used it to pay back the suckers who had invested with him. He then returned to Germany where he died of tuberculosis.

Here are his registration and License plate. Notice it clearly shows 31 DD 6cyl sedan. Maybe it was a leftover.

Yes...the 1930 had that radiator shell. I think you are correct about it being a left over 1930 that was carried over to '31. For purposes of finding parts for that car (or a car just like it), I would hunt for 1930 parts. The '31 DH parts are way different.