1956 Buick Master Cylinder

eulcon

Unfortunately the time has come when I can no longer ignore my leaking master cylinder.

I'm sure this subject has been beat to death, but I can't find anything.

Everything I've read so far seems to suggest that rebuild kits aren't available and I'd have to give up one of my limbs to have it professionally rebuilt.

I want to keep this original (the car and my limbs), so modification is out.

The car has manual brakes.

My question is:

How can I solve this problem cheaply? :)

Do they make rebuild kits? ...

If they don't make kits, how do professional rebuild places rebuild them?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by eulcon (see edit history)

Eulcon, as you can see by the lack of responses, you can't get there from here. In otherwords, there is little chance of cheap repair here.

BUT let me ask this. Where is the leak? Is it at the pushrod end ( ie, inside the car) or external? Do you still have a solid brake pedal or does it bleed down while in use? And here's what I'm thinking.

I believe the MC has a separate reservoir unit attached. If the leak is outside the interior, there is a small chance that the o ring between the MC and reservoir is what's leaking. If you have a solid pedal you may want to try and get a better look at this. But if the leaks is internal to the interior, and the pedal is soft, then I would check CARS INC. in NJ. Last I remember they had a manual MC. Also you may want to check Bob's for comparison shopping.

However consider this. If you find a NOS one, chances are it is already 50+ years old. Between that one and your original one, eventually you are going to need new seals.

Last time I checked (last year) neither Bob's Automobilia nor CARS, Inc. lists a 1956 master cylinder or rebuild kit in their catalogues. What to do is really a problem if you own or are working on '56 brakes.

White Post Restorations in either Virginia or West Virginia used to advertise that they would rebuild and resleeve any master cylinder, so perhaps they have a stash of rebuild kits for '56 Buicks?????

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

• 1 month later...
Guest 1956 Nailhead

Eulcon,

Cars Inc. does rebuild them and they do have kits. However you can speak to Russ at Centreville Auto (BuickRodder). He can send you out a new one and you send in your core to keep the cost down. As in new I mean newly rebuilt. He sometimes lists them on Ebay under the screen name of BuickRodder. If you can't find any info on it, let me know and I will find Russ's number. Cars Inc is 908-369-3666. Hope this is helpful.

Jason

Thanks for the reply ...

I finally faced the fact that there was no cheap remedy for the problem, so I went ahead and had it rebuilt by White Post Restorations.

If you ever need one rebuilt, I highly recommend them.

I sent it to them UPS on a Thursday, and had it back by Monday.

Looks like new and works great ... All for the low, low price of 370.00 ... That still seems like a lot to me, but better then anybody else I could find.

Thanks again for the reply, I do appreciate it!

Keith