Model codes

Guest keller

My BCA membership is up for renewal and I believe they have messed up a few of the model codes for my cars. I really want things to be accurate, but I have forgotten where to find / ID the correct information. Can anyone help me out here?

1) 1967 Skylark California GS - Car is correct and unrestored. Just not in 100% great shape. Even have the black CA plates that were last on it. Also have a few dealer books, brochures, etc. Plus a copy of an ad for the model. Although these have the 340 V8, they are built on the V6 Skylark post coupe body. As such, the VIN is a 43307 VIN. However, BCA assigned it a 44607 number, which is a GS400. What should I write down?

2) 1987 Regal T - Has the turbo engine as well. (Optional in 1987) BCA indicates 4GJ47 and I think this is correct.

3) 1989 Reatta - With sunroof. BCA indicates 4EC97. Think this may be correct.

4) 1989 Reatta - No sunroof- See above. BCA does not have recorded for some reason.

5) 1996 Roadmaster Limited Wagon - BCA indicates 4BR34. Is this correct for the wagon?

6) 2001 Regal GS Joseph Abboud Edition - No idea what the code would be for this.

Should I be looking on the RPO / body tags for this information? Thanks for any help.

1. The 67 Skylark in the nomenclature is an A or an A-special at the time. Eventually morphed into the G body.

2. 87 Regal T is a G/K for G body K series. 47 For a 2 door coupe

3 & 4. 89 Reatta is an E/C body and style(Buick). No designation for sunroof as that would be an option content. If it was a convertible, it would be a 67 in the vin.

5. 96 Roadmaster is a B/R body and style. The correct designation for a wagon is 35.

6. 01 Regal GS would be a W/F for body and style. The two door coupe designation would be either a 27,37,47, or maybe 57. Not sure witout looking at the VIN. I seem to think it would be a 47 maybe. Have never heard of the JA edition vehicle. Maybe it was a local promotion?

All of the VIN's would have a 4 as the first number for cars/trucks prior to 1981 with 13 digit vin numbers as the 4 is the designation of the Buick Division. In 17 digit VIN#s, it would be the 3rd digit from the left.

According to the 2008 BCA Membership Roster:

In 1967 43307 was the standard Special Coupe, 44307 was the Skylark Coupe and 44607 was the Skylark GS Coupe. If the California GS designation wasn't factory, then it appears that a region put out a special edition - the Northland Ford dealers did just that with the F-150 for years - all the dealers in the region had them.

In 1987 the Regal T-Type was 4GJ47 unless it was a Limited T-Type, then it was 4GM47.

All 1989 Reatta's are 4EC97 - sunroof or not - no difference.

All 1996 Roadmaster Estate Wagons were 44BR35

The 2008 Roster only lists one code for the 2001 Regal, which I know isn't correct, as I have sold a number of them and the LS & GS had different model codes in the VIN. The following code information is from "The Buick - A Complete History" by Terry B Dunham and Lawrence R. Gastin: The 2001 Regal LS was 4WB69 and the GS was 4WF69.

The Joseph Abboud Edition was a factory option package- it featured two-tone paint below the body side molding, and an upgraded leather interior, plus some additional items which I don't remember.

I hope that this helps.

Guest my3buicks

as stated above 43307 would be the number that you would want to use for the 67 California GS - It was a regional model built on the Special 2 Door Sedan - yes, they are real GS's if you are wondering.

If you need a copy of the original sales brochure for the GS California private me you address and I will copy and mail you one.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

As for the "California GS" car's model designation, I'd tend to concur that the "6-cylinder" model designation might be the most correct. I suspect that the "California GS" was an "option code"-vehicle rather than having its own dedicated VIN-specific model designation (as the GS400 would have). In that same time frame, you'll not find a Chevy Camaro VIN that will designate "Z-28", "SS", or "RS" as these were option packages on the basic Camaro couple or convertible vehicle. The same could well be true for the Skylark's "California GS" package.

Ford built some "California Special" ("C/S" exterior designation) Mustangs back then. A special option group for California-only dealers. Nothing really special in the drivetrain area, just a new "special" model available only in California (at least initially). I suspect the Skylark California GS might have been in a similar orientation.

In Jim's model designation listings, the "4" in front of the following 4-part alpha-numeric designations indicates the vehicles are Buicks, with other GM divisions having their own respective numbers. This separates the following model designations from similar ones in other GM divisions . . . where the same designations might also be operative. For example, the "BR35" designation for the B-body full-size station wagons could also be Chevrolets or Oldsmobiles.

The "A" and "G" intermediate-size nomenclatures have always seemed curious to me. They were ALL on the same general mid-size platform, but Chevy had only "A"-cars whereas Buick and Olds had "G"-car versions. In some cases, they really got "mixed" in the later 1980s, as I recall. But they were all replaced by the fwd "W" cars later on.

I remember when I saw the press release for the Joseph Abboud Edition Regals. At the time, Mr. Abboud was a high-fashion clothing designer and was given the Buick Regal as his "canvas" to create a special edition vehicle. In the picture, it didn't look that outstanding, but when I finally saw one on a dealer's lot in Ohio, it was VERY nice looking in the choice of exterior and interior colors (seems like they also came with a sunroof, with ONE group of options?). I don't believe that the particular colors were used on any other GM vehicle, but I've never checked on that. When you see one of these cars (as I did a few weeks ago, in a non-metro area of North Texas), you'll notice that it's different and unique from other similar Regals . . . for whatever that might be worth.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

I suspect that the "California GS" was an "option code"-vehicle rather than having its own dedicated VIN-specific model designation (as the GS400 would have)

Likely correct. In fact, from what I can garner from the dealer Selling Manual and such, it appears that you could order everything piecemeal (340 V8 w/4BBL, GS hood, etc.) and have it come that way from the factory. The California badges were added by the the southern California dealers, and the GS badges on the C-pillars were likely to have been as well. The rest of the car was pretty much the same as a GS-340, save for color, and no rocker stripes. And I have don't have the black base bench, but the dual shade metallic blue one in my car.

Ford built some "California Special" ("C/S" exterior designation) Mustangs back then.

Well aware. Sadly, you can get repro Mustang "California" badges, and 68-69 GS "California" badges, but not 1967 ones. :mad: One of mine is cracked, and both are severely pitted.

I remember when I saw the press release for the Joseph Abboud Edition Regals. At the time, Mr. Abboud was a high-fashion clothing designer and was given the Buick Regal as his "canvas" to create a special edition vehicle.

Other than the small interior accent(s) (steering wheel color in my car) and the JA badging (including one tail light with the JA logo instead of the GS or LS) they were very similar to the Olympic editions offered in 2001. Color schemes as well.

If the California GS designation wasn't factory, then it appears that a region put out a special edition

Southern California.

In 1987 the Regal T-Type was 4GJ47 unless it was a Limited T-Type, then it was 4GM47.

Not a Limited. Well aware of the 1035 of those. Almost bought one in '91. Sadly, too many miles. And cigarette burns. But it was the ultimate in stealth.

The following code information is from "The Buick - A Complete History" by Terry B Dunham and Lawrence R. Gastin:

Why didn't I think of looking in there? I never took the wrap off my 6th edition!

Thanks!

If you need a copy of the original sales brochure for the GS California private me you address and I will copy and mail you one.

Message sent.