Opinions on convertible top color for judging

impala

I have almost completed the restoration on my 61 Impala convertible. I'm ready for the top and can't decide on color.

The standard top colors are black or white.

Most of these came thru with black tops (my cowl tag is T2, black) but every one you see now has a white top similar to most having 348's in numbers that GM never came close to building.

According to some old timers in the know through a COPO you could get any color top you wanted regardless of what the dealer's brochure said.

I think red to match the interior and side stripe would look sharp and set the car apart from all the others. BTW the body is Ermine White with a Roman red side stripe and interior.

My Question: How would AACA judges view a red top on this car?

I know documentation is always best but I doubt I could find anything specific to this color.

Comments appreciated, especially from judges.

Thanks,

impala

I have no idea if a red color is correct or not for this car.

The easy answer is you risk losing points unless the color is as it could have been originally. If you have documentation that the color of the top was available from the manufacturer, you will be safe. If there is any question on the correctness of the color and you have no documentation, you will risk losing points. If I were you I would choose a color that you like and for which documentation exists.

Decide if you are building the car specifically for judging, or for your own long-term enjoyment. Determine how many (how few) points you might potentially lose in the event that a judge were to ding you for the color, and if you could live with it.

Personally, I'd stick with the white top - much cooler than black under the sun in hot weather - looks sharper - correct -

I have cars with black, blue, tan, and white tops, canvas and vinyl. White looks right on certain cars in certain color combos - yours included in my opinion. A white Impala with red interior -- the black top would just look like you were trying to hide the dirt.

If you are interested in judging, assuming no change from the 2010 judging guidelines, you are looking at a mandatory 10 point deduction for incorrect top material.

As Marty suggested, you have to decide what your intent is, but if you desire to be comptetive in judging, 10 points is a big hit to take.

For AACA judging it needs to be a color that was available for the year, make and model you have. And offered for the combination of the interior and exterior colors. If only black was offered for that year, make, model and interior/exterior combination then go with black. If either black or white could have been used then it is your choice.

With something like an Impala you run the risk of a very knowledgeable Team Captain and/or judging team being assigned to the class it is in. But only you can decide if using a wrong color is worth the points lost. :)

For AACA judging it needs to be a color that was available for the year, make and model you have. And offered for the combination of the interior and exterior colors. If only black was offered for that year, make, model and interior/exterior combination then go with black. If either black or white could have been used then it is your choice.

With something like an Impala you run the risk of a very knowledgeable Team Captain and/or judging team being assigned to the class it is in. But only you can decide if using a wrong color is worth the points lost. :)

I definitely won't go with the wrong color. I'm still in the process of trying to find documentation that special colors could be had. If none exists then I will go with one of the two standard colors.

Thanks to all who have responded.

impala

Click on this link and then on the Contact "button". You can then fill in the fields regarding what you are looking for. If you are an AACA member you get one and a half hours of free research. You can get copies of what is found for a reasonable fee. As judges we accept any information from the L&RC without question.

AACA Library

Pgh. is about 4 hrs. from Hershey and I did consider that but right now my work schedule doesn't permit it.

In the interim I'm chasing other leads but have come up empty so far. There's plenty of info on the web about the COPO issue but so far nothing specific to my situation. I did find a statement that "any color could be ordered" but it wasn't from an authoratative source.

I would like to pose the question to Alan Colvin (author of Chevrolet By The Numbers). If anyone has a lead or contact info for him I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

impala

I'm kind of amazed that Chevrolet only offered convertible tops in black and white in '61. Oldsmobile had tops in light blue, mint green, beige and red, in addition to black and white. It's no secret that an Impala is the same body as in Olds 88. The tops should interchange. You'd think they would have offered more colors. I've seen white cars with red convertible tops in the past and I think they look sharp. I had a '62 Starfire convertible that I put a red top on. The car was red metallic at the time, but was coded for white. I never got around to painting it white.

Paul

Yeah I'm surprised too and the fact that other GM makes offered red tops makes me think there's that little bit of documentation somewhere that says a red top could be specially ordered.

Unfortunately I may never find that documentation.

impala

I have a copy of information provided to the Chevrolet dealers concerning the 1961 model cars. It is dated Oct. 1960, convertible tops were available in black or white on all exterior colors. Blue tops were available on both Jewel Blue and Midnight Blue cars.

No red is listed.

Guest Kingoftheroad

While I'm no expert on the '61 Impala, I'm a big fan of the '61 Impala. I'm also big time into putting a car back the way it was or as close as possible considering whats available now. I'd pick one of the correct color choices, this way you pick what you like and it won't hurt you in a show.

IMHO, A white top would look SWEET on a white '61 Impala with a red interior..

I have a copy of information provided to the Chevrolet dealers concerning the 1961 model cars. It is dated Oct. 1960, convertible tops were available in black or white on all exterior colors. Blue tops were available on both Jewel Blue and Midnight Blue cars.

No red is listed.

Yeah that's what my research says also.

Interestingly I've received info from the Antique Olds club that a red top was offered on a 61 Olds 88 but I guess for some reason Chevy didn't offer it although it's the same top.

Thanks,

impala

hmmm.. all of this for a few points at a car show??...I would put on it what I want...I am sure what ever color you put on it will not effect the value of the car. Red would certainly be hot for sure..:) go with the red

hmmm.. all of this for a few points at a car show??...I would put on it what I want...I am sure what ever color you put on it will not effect the value of the car. Red would certainly be hot for sure..:) go with the red

I feel like you that red would be sharp too and would make it unique.

As far as points, for the 17 years on and off I've been working on this car my goal has always been to go as far as I can in AACA. There is so much competition out there that a 10 point deduction might prevent me from achieving what I want.

At this point I'm probably going to go with the white. No, the top color should not effect the value but an AACA senior grand national award will. Thanks for your input.

impala

Guest windjamer

Shop-rat is right on, one point can make a hell of a differance. I dont want to rain on your parade,but I have a friend who has a 61 Impala convertable it is white and absolutely gorgeous. I spent two years trying to get him to take it to Hershey. He finely told me,Dick, it has a red top, they never came with a red top :(

If the car is perfect in every other way it could be the top scoring vehicle in the class and get a first despite the red top. Only the owner can decide to take the chance.

But if there is a choice, as there is for the car being first discussed, why put a top on that is wrong when the owner wants to take it as high as it can go in the AACA system? That would not make sense to me to do that.

Shop-rat is right on, one point can make a hell of a differance. I dont want to rain on your parade,but I have a friend who has a 61 Impala convertable it is white and absolutely gorgeous. I spent two years trying to get him to take it to Hershey. He finely told me,Dick, it has a red top, they never came with a red top :(

Your friend is correct in that they didn't come with a red top. Most were black as standard but white could be ordered.

According to those in the know you could get other colors by special order. This of course would have to be documented for judging purposes.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of your friend's with the red top would you?

impala

Edited by impala (see edit history)

If the car is perfect in every other way it could be the top scoring vehicle in the class and get a first despite the red top. Only the owner can decide to take the chance.

But if there is a choice, as there is for the car being first discussed, why put a top on that is wrong when the owner wants to take it as high as it can go in the AACA system? That would not make sense to me to do that.

Susan, to answer your question as to why an incorrect color top would be installed.

There are two issues here. First is judging and second is what colors appeal to the owner.

I know it's my decision and I eventually have to decide what's more important to me, judging or a unique looking car with the colors I happen to like better.

impala