James Melton in Las Vegas

TG57Roadmaster

Guest De Soto Frank

I wonder what James was singing at the Thunderbird ? Operatic arias on the Vegas strip ? :D

Might be his Rambler, it IS a Country-Club hardtop... ;)

Guest Silverghost

Later in his life James Melton sang mostly popular tunes~~~

Think of him as the Wayne Newton or Andy Williams of his era.

Sadly James Melton Died at only 57 years old~~~ a very sick and in many ways broken man !

He had gone through most of his money ~~~

And he once made BIG $$$ money !

His singing career was on it's last legs~~~

The type of music he sang by this period of time only appealed to older folks , the typical "Blue Haired Ladies" .

He was at the very end of his singing career.

My Father knew James Melton very well.

Dad had sold him several early Antique Autos that were found in the Piladelphia area.

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
Here's a test for all you folks who remember Jim Melton. Which anamal name did he use to refer to his antique car friends?

a) rabbit

B) chipmunk

c) squirrel

d) raccoon

Given the fact that a lot of folks "squirrel away" cars and parts, I would say squirrel.

Given the fact that a lot of folks "squirrel away" cars and parts, I would say squirrel.

CORRECT!! You are the winner. Frankly, I don't personally remember hearing it directly but my parents and their antique car friends did. I believe he frequently used the expression on his Texaco radio show when he referred to his antique car friends as "squirrels". Perhaps his daughter Margo would remember the origin of the term.

• 2 years later...

James Melton's daughter, Margo, has just published a wonderful book about her father, his musical career, and his cars, James Melton: The Tenor of His Times.

To quote from the release... "The James Melton story is the story of an era—the first half of the twentieth century: from the Roaring Twenties, through the Depression, WWII, and post-war prosperity. It is also a rags-to-riches-to-rags story of a talented, confident young man who raised himself from obscure beginnings in a tiny Florida town to the height of fame on stage, screen and airwaves—but who could not live without the adulation of an adoring public, and who had nothing to fall back on as he aged and musical tastes changed."

"The Tenor of His Times is a daughter’s attempt to rediscover the fascinating man who was her father—to understand what motivated his successes and to sympathize with the many pressures that brought him down."

Paperback, 268 pages (with 35 photos), ISBN #1482391449, April 2013

Copies of the book can be ordered through Amazon.com, or from the author, at a cost of $20.00 plus $3.99 shipping.

Contact: Margo Melton Nutt, 560 Hawk Pine Road, Norwich, VT 05055 or tenorofhistimes@gmail.com for further information.

Direct link to the book on Amazon:

James Melton: The Tenor of His Times: Margo Melton Nutt: 9781482391442: Amazon.com: Books