1956 Desoto Fireflite new owner

Guest claytonsmith

Guest claytonsmith

Hello everyone,

I'm not by any means new to cars... but I am new to Desotos. I was recently given a 1956 Fireflite. It's a 4 door and is pink and brown. The car has front and rear AC, a record player on the trans tunnel, power seat etc. The car is in fairly good shape for its age. The body is seemingly fairly solid and the paint is decent by my standards. The engine is mechanically sound, the fuel system needs to be gone through, probably could use brakes etc.

My classic automobile knowledge is mostly limited to Fords. My question is... what exactly did I get my hands on. Are these cars considered rare? I intend on getting the car to "driver" status. I'm going to end up needed a carb and some other normal maintenance items. Who carries parts for these presumably esoteric cars?

I know thats a lot of questions. I thank everyone in advance for their info!

-Clayton

Clayton - I had a 1955 DeSoto Firedome (red & white beauty!!) way back in 1962 when I met my (now wife) gal out in Oregon while in the Navy. Unfortunately, I got rid of the car. If I had it now - in the shape it was in then, would be worth about $35K. Oh, well - I now have a 1950 DeSoto and 4 other collectible cars. There are many places you can find out information about your '56 - one of them being DeSotoland website. It is free to register & you can find out quite a bit of information, by posting your questions on a "thread forum " type of format. Also, I would suggest googling 1956 DeSoto - and search the various websites. Some will be able to tell you about your vehicle. Others will be able to provide information on locating parts, etc. Good luck...........Irv D deelin@roadrunner.com

The car was not a low production car which would make it not rare. The rare items are the front and rear AC and the Hiway-Hifi record player. They are GREAT cars and drive like a dream. Here is a tidbit for you...

post-37352-143138412728_thumb.jpg

Guest William Grubbs

Clayton, you are extremely lucky. The '56 DeSoto is a very popular car and getting more so all the time. Parts prices keep going up and your car has some of the more valuable ones. The Fireflite is the 4bbl version. Please see my reply to the post just above yours. I listed a few resources that will interest you. Get ready to have some fun with this car. They are a joy to drive.