were to mount water seporator

HELP I just finished my new garage and i am putting in a new air compresor so my question is were do i put the water seporator. 30X40 heated floor awsome

Most of the shops I've worked in have the water separators mounted close to the compressor. If an airline is metal (iron pipe, etc.) and the run is quite long, I've seen cases where an additional water separator was installed near the end of that run.<BR> The idea is to be able to drain off water from condensation. Of course a compressor working with humid air will produce the most condensation but a long airline can allow the air to cool and moisture to condense and collect in that line. If in doubt, add another drain... they're cheap compared to the damage moisture can do to air tools or, worse yet, moisture can destroy a paint job! frown.gif" border="0

I know the expense involved, but my system includes a water separator near the compressor (which is outside the garage) and at every drop. I designed my set up using the TIP catalog design. Except that I used high pressure PVC for piping. Works great.

Ron<BR>I have seen warnings in trade mags about using PVC for air lines. Supposedly the oil in the lines can attack and destroy the PVC from the inside.

Recently on one of the television shows on SpeedVision they did a piece on using the PVC high pressure pipes. The subsequent show they had recieved numerous calls and emails from viewers, and the pipe manufacturers I believe. Ultimately they announced that using PVC piping with the compressor was dangerous due to the risk of the pipes bursting/exploding. They also said they had admonished their distributor who had recommended its use.<P>I cannot comment on the accuracy, it is beyond my expertise. I only know that they went to the trouble to make an announcement on their show not to use it, and that they were wrong. Not something that they would do lightly I would think.<P>Rich<P>PS: Ron we sorta like having you around, please check in to the safety factor and confirm whether the danger is fact or fiction!

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I can't comment on the likelihood of PVC pipe to fail, but I would like to comment on why it is so dangerous when it does fail. It tends to shatter. Air, being compressible, looses little of its pressure when it's volume changes little. A liquid, on the other hand, looses practically all of its pressure when its volume changes just a little. If PVC pipe fails under pressure of a liquid, there's little pressure left to propel the plastic shrapnell all over the shop, but air is another story.

Several good issues here. First, get a TIP catalog and look at their design of the drops. They recommend that from the initial pipe off of the compressor, everything slants down to let any condensed vapor drain to the drops. At each drop there is a "down" pipe with a drain. The air drop tees off of the down pipe above the drain several inches and then horizontally for a couple of inches and then vertical for a few inches to the quick disconnect. Then separator and filter. <P>Like Orwell's Animal Farm, all PVC is created equal, but some are more equal than others. The PVC I have used for 20 years is rated at 640 psi. I never operate my compressor over 150 psi. When I route the pipe I pay attention to providing protective covering in the form of lumber and use a lot of clamps.<P>Yes, I've heard some horror stories, but most of them are from using thin wall cold water PVC with low pressure ratings. That is not very smart.<P>However, for those who want to keep me around (and I do appreciate the thought) I will check out some more sites. cool.gif" border="0<p>[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: ronbarn ]

The water separator only works on liquid water. So you need to have it where the water vapor has had a chance to cool down and condense.<P>I have used copper pipe on my system for a number of reasons: 1) It is easy to install. 2) I don't have to worry about explosive tubing. 3) It conducts heat very well.<P>I put the water separators at the ends of the runs where I am pretty sure the air/water vapor has cooled enough to condense out the moisture.<P>I guess it would not hurt to put another one on the outlet of the tank to catch anything there. But I think the tank itself acts as a big water separator. Certainly I have to drain the water out of the bottom of it pretty often.

as to question about water separators - I my self work in manufacturing industries - and work in a very old building - water separators are at every drop , but have found ( this is due to hot an cold conditions ) you would again get water at end of 50'3/8 hose - so we work with a separator at the end of this hose and and a 15' work hose for your tool, this seems to work best for us , and also do this at home