75 Regal survivor

Guest sherwoodstage1

Guest sherwoodstage1

Hi guys, I just joined and introduced myself,and figure I'll get going with a post.

Here's one of my Buicks,most recent purchase and kinda excited about it,and would be the one I bring to the show to put in the survivor class as not much has been changed on this car.

It's a 75 Buick Regal survivor,beleive they call it ranch green,green velour interior,350-4,dual exhaust,rally wheels,am/fm,A/C,power windows.100% orig paint,shows some age though,but is very shiny still.Interior is time capsule mint,as well as the inside trunk!!!!!The car is said to be from Cali,and then came over to Buffalo,NY.It was sold at your 2005 Buick Nats in Batavia,NY.

The thing that has been raising a question for me is that it was marketed and sold to me as it having 114k miles,and am finding alot of the cars areas to not show me to make me beleive it's 114k,but could possibly be only a 14k mile car.I have a true undisputed 14k orig mile 73 Lemans in the family,so I have very good reference to judge it by.

Even with alot of the car still in mint conditon,I understand a car can be very well taken care of and survive like this,but certain things just won't hold up and show you the diff of 100k miles.

The car still has it's orig floormats,carpet without not as so much of a heel impression or scuff on the tranny tunnel right next to your driving foot.The driv seat would/should be worn from sitting in it for 114k,and sliding in and out for that time period,ntm the green int still very vivid in color,and the driv door not even so much as thinking of sagging when opened,and door/roofrail gaskets still orig and puffy!!!!And the windshield still orig,and not sandblasted!!!!

When looking inside the valve covers oil fill,you would think this motors been out/rebuilt,as to how unbeleivably clean the rockers,and head are.

You see what made me wonder?

But last weekend it got more interesting,I thought to myself,no matter how well you have taken care of the cars condition,you won't stop the brakes from wearing,so pulled the wheels to check and what I found short of amazed me.

It still has the white,rivited asbestos brake shoes on the back,with delco still on them,as well as the front disc pads!!!!!And appears to be the orig rotors and drums!!!!!How long have asbestos pads/shoes been gone now ????

Even the 140 mile drive home,did'nt feel like it had 114k,and everything working including the A/C.

Figured this would make a great first thread,enjoy some pics to....

post-72875-143138405356_thumb.jpg

post-72875-14313840536_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138405362_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138405365_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138405367_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138405369_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138405371_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138405373_thumb.jpg

Beautiful car and fascinating story! Thanks for sharing the photos and information about your car. I've e-mailed a link to your story to a friend in California who owns a '73 Regal with 12,800 miles. He'll be excited to read about your car, and I look forward to seeing his responses.

Guest sherwoodstage1

From what I have closely inspected on the car so far,the things I know that def have been replaced are : tires,exhaust,upper and lower rad hoses,and the master cylinder.

It's funny,as I said there is a 14k mile survivor 73 lemans in my family,still sitting in the same garage spot since 1984,got it running this year to keep things lubed,it also will need tires,exhaust,brake work and replace all rubber hoses.Dry rotted from sitting to long.Just enough humidity over the years to rust the exhaust to.

To me, in order to reallly "pass judgment" on the 14K or 114K issue, you'd have to look at things which would be considered "normal maintenance" or "normal wear and tear" items to see if they'd been replaced. These would include the water pump, belts, hose clamps (AND their position on the hose, as the assembly manual had specs on how the clamps should be positioned on the hose), and other things which could need to be changed AND installed by a normal mechanic who might not put things completely back as they were found (especially the hose clamp--type and position). In other words, the things which an average person would not pay attention to as they were done.

There should be some date code stamps, along with GM part numbers on the alternator, for example. Probably similar on the fuel pump body, too (at least the date code and assembly ID). As I recall, many Buick V-8s would have needed a timing chain replacement by the time they got to 90K, so evidence of that repair might also be an indication of the mileage. Did the wheel studs have the factory retention clips on the rear brake drums when you took the wheels off? If so, then further indication that things were as the left the assembly plant, typically.

Looking through the oil filler hole can be a good indicator, BUT I've received similar results on a 100K+ engine by using Stewart-Warner Alemite CD-2 engine detergent additive and a good quality motor oil.

At any mileage, though, the pictures show that the vehicle apparently led a "sheltered life" away from direct UV rays of the sun.

NEAT car from an era when few cars were considered "future collectible"!!! CONGRATS!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest sherwoodstage1

As far as the rear brake drums having their retainer clips,no,as when I pulled off the drums,you can see they were in a diff position by the dust mark on the inside where there are the holes in the end of the axle hub.They were probably pulled off for inspection by previous owners.

I just did'nt look at one thing to try and judge,but a numerous amount of areas on the car.But what sticks out to me is the fact that there are still the asbestos brake pads and shoes,which have been gone since the early 80's.To have 114k miles,would have had numerous brake jobs,and by now have semi metalic on them,and new drums,maybe even rotors.

Forgot to mention that the front rotors have never been cut,still has a 45 degree chamfered edge.Look very well like they are the originals,also having asbestos pads on them,and in the pic of the rear you can see that the components still have cadmium plating still looking new to.

If this car did alot of sitting around,would bet for sure thats the reason for having new water pump,tires,hoses,exhaust.

As far as the timing chain comment,yes,I agree about the buicks going thru timing chains(had to do one on my 76 skylark when it had 56k orig miles.From closely looking for that,the motor looks to never have been torn down.

Guest sherwoodstage1

Heres a few more pics,of the brakes,as said about the retainer clip on the studs.Another strong point, IMO,that these are def the orig drums.In the pic of the drum,you can see where one stud had a star clip retainer ring mark from when the rim is tightened down.

You can also see the pic of the rotor having a chamfered edge still present,showing its never been turned,along with the asbestos,rivited pad.

Anyway,it is fun having a survivor car as to closely inspect for originality and seeing how things were.

As I had said,I bought this car,went to pick it up,and the whole time assuming I'd just purchased a 114k mile car.But to many points now are jumping out to show there possibly being a mistake in the history of this car.If your not a real car guy,I can see you pass it off,but being around a few survivor cars now,these stick out to me.

Another thing I am def going to do,when the weather clears,is go pull the wheels on the 73 lemans we have,as I 100% know that it is a 14k mile car.What a great comparison,another A body GM from the same era!!!!Heres some pics of that one.....

post-72875-143138407127_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138407129_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138407132_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138407134_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138407136_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138407138_thumb.jpg

post-72875-14313840714_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138407143_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138407145_thumb.jpg

Wow, another great '70's-era GM intermediate! I always liked the louvered rear quarter windows on these LeMans coupes, and your car is finished in a unique and attractive color scheme.

The California owner of the low-mileage '73 Regal has registered for the forum, and he'll be posting a response to this topic during the weekend -- hopefully with photos.

Guest sherwoodstage1

Makes no diff in the condition of the car,or how I will be driving it.In fact when I bought it ,I was going there thinking it was 114k.But after taking possesion,and closely inspecting it,signs started poping up that it is not 114k,and makes the purchase that much more rewarding and interesting to me.No matter what make,I love seeing survivor cars.And as stated by many,you can restore it ten times,they're only original once.

Guest sherwoodstage1

Pretty nice car Tri-shield!!!!! These 73-75 Century, Regals have grown on me recently,and is what sparked the interest in finding one.

Re: mileage

It could well be that the seller figured it was 114 due to its age, not really knowing that it might be 14, but used the "114K" figure as a default mode of sorts, just so he'd be covered if anything was said. Better to hedge bets that way if you're not completely sure.

What about the date code on the spark plug wires? It'll be in "quarters" of the year rather than "months". Unless somebody got really gung-ho about getting it running, there would be no need for new spark plug wires in 14K, but 114K would be a completely different situation. Same for the spark plugs, with the original ones most probably having engine-color overspray on them. But the plugs might have been changed with the other stuff, too. Just something else I thought about today . . .

Thanks to all for the neat pictures!

NTX5467

Guest sherwoodstage1

NTX5467,that's what the seller said to me I asked it being 114k? He said"it has to be'it's 35 years old!!!".

Well anyway,today went to work on the car,and pulled the pass side wheels to check out the brakes,they looked the same as the other side,everything a.o.k.On the drum from the pass side,you can see there are/were 2 of those star clips over the wheel studs.And now realizing these are the orig drums the car was born with,I looked at the drum alittle closer and found something very unusual,did'nt know the factory did this!!!!!!And now really shows it is the orig drum!!!

A stamped in mini tri-shield right on the edge of the drum!!!!!!Really neat.

I also had time today to wax the whole car w/ a cleaner wax,came out good for doing by hand,richened the color up some,and gave it alittle more shine.

Alls thats left to do before spring is oil,tranny,rear fluid changes.,and maybe clean up the eng bay alittle.Can't wait ,gonna be a fun car I think!!!!

Some pics....

post-72875-143138410228_thumb.jpg

post-72875-14313841023_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138410233_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138410236_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138410238_thumb.jpg

post-72875-14313841024_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138410242_thumb.jpg

post-72875-143138410244_thumb.jpg

Guest sherwoodstage1

My uncle is actually the one who bought the lemans,1984,never even signed the title,never registered it,just started it up a few times a year until he passed in 2002.Then it sat from then till last summer when I went over and fired it up again.Before that one hits the road,it will need quite abit of work to make it roadworthy,all hoses,tires,exhaust.I did'nt dare to hit the brake pedal when backing it out of the garage!

Congrats on the purchase of a really fine Buick. I love, love, love the first-gen Regals (and will have one day!),

when the right one comes along. Won't care if it has 100K-miles, as long as it looks good, is rust-free,

and has a few power options. Like the power windows on yours.

I bet it's a dream to drive, too!

TG

Guest sherwoodstage1
Congrats on the purchase of a really fine Buick. I love, love, love the first-gen Regals (and will have one day!),

when the right one comes along. Won't care if it has 100K-miles, as long as it looks good, is rust-free,

and has a few power options. Like the power windows on yours.

I bet it's a dream to drive, too!

TG

Thanks alot,true,I went there thinking it was 114k,did'nt matter.Also,yes,drives great,got a 140 mile teaser drive. .The owner let me use his plates to drive home.Now 3 out of 4 Buicks I own are green!!!LOL

Guest 827GFZ73

Hi Sherwood,

Congratulations to you on your purchase of a beautiful car!

Brian,"Centurion", was kind enough to send me a link to this forum via e-mail. He also provided me the encouragement to join BCA, register for the forum, and join in on the fun.

Needless to say, I was thrilled to know that there is someone out there who is also a fan of 1973-75 Buick Regals. You are fortunate to have purchased a gorgeous '75 in Ranch Green with a green interior without a vinyl roof. This is an uncommonly attractive combination. I believe GM offered this color for only one year. The optional sport steering wheel is quite rare for a Regal. I have only seen these in a few '73 Gran Sport models. Those chrome plated wheels look great too. Have you considered getting white wall tires?

After seeing the pictures you have posted, along with the comments from other BCA members, I have NO doubt your car has 14,000 miles! The original paint looks wonderful after you waxed it. Once you get the beautiful original upholstery cleaned, you will probably be even more convinced that it is indeed a low mileage car. However, make sure that you use a product specifically intended for automotive use, and that it is mild and non-caustic.

I also admire your 1973 Lemans very much. From certain angles, it has the sporty look of the Grand Am. Wow! What coincidence it is to own two cars with the identical low miles!

Brian has related to you that I have a '73 Regal with 12,800 miles. This car was given to me by the Dad in 1974 just before he passed away. Attached are the pictures. I will write a history on it and post it in the "Me and My Buick" section of this forum.

Regards,

Joe

post-72893-143138410353_thumb.jpg

post-72893-143138410369_thumb.jpg

post-72893-143138410392_thumb.jpg

post-72893-143138410661_thumb.jpg

Edited by 827GFZ73
Name signed twice. Pictures were posted (see edit history)

Guest 827GFZ73

Oh...and one more thing. I noticed that the spacing of the letters got wider and wider toward the end of the first post. Do any of you computer experts know why?

Thanks.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for showing us pics of your fantastic '73; now we have two benchmarks for comparison

when looking for a similar car! There's something just so REGAL about the design,

that naming the car must have come easily. Pardon my gushing,

but it looks like it just stepped out of a brochure,

or the showroom. Just too wonderful.

TG

PS, I should have said three benchmarks, as I neglected to mention Eric's beautiful '75 Century Coupe;

forgive the exclusion, and man, what a "save!"

Edited by TG57Roadmaster
Add Eric's sweet Century (see edit history)

Joe, thanks for the great photos of your stunning '73 Regal coupe, and Eric, thanks for participating with that action photo of your fine '74 Century.

I've seen Eric's Century first-hand, and it is an excellent example.

It's great to see these cars receiving some much-deserved recognition.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

The car collector in Vermont who I bought my '66 Buick from in 1999 passed away 3-4 years later. His daughter inherited his garage, used car dealership and remaining collector cars. I don't know if she still has it or not, but one of the cars she had was a '73 Century 4 door with less than 7000 miles on it. It was a base Century, 350 2 bbl., automatic, p/s, p/b, white walls, wheel covers and Am radio. It also had rubber floor coverings - no carpet. I had no idea that Buicks came with rubber floor coverings as late as 1973. It also had the plainest 2 spoke steering wheel I've ever seen in a Buick. I last saw the car at the Stowe, VT show in 2005, I think. I really liked the car and would have bought it but it was that awful gray/bronze color with a beige interior. The driver's door had been repainted at some point and it was slightly darker than the rest of the car. That color was awfully hard to match. I think the '73-'75 Century / Regal is one of the best looking GM cars of the 70's. She also had a '77-78 Electra coupe with 4000 miles for sale.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)