1958 Chevrolet Apache

Guest tcoker7

Guest tcoker7

Hello,

I have a 1958 Chevrolet Apache. How do I know what it is if its a 31 series or 32 series? I am trying to find out what fender emblems I need to put on the truck. They are so many of them and I want to make it as original as possible.

Thank you for any information.

Tcoker

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest difference is the wheelbase. The 3100 wheelbase is 114". The 3200 wheelbase is 123.2". The difference is all in the length of the box. Also, many of the 3200 had a recess in the driver side rear fender for the spare tire storage. Other than the wheelbase there was little difference.

3a in the vin would be 3100

3b would be 3200

Check out this VIN decoder as well for more info

Tools - VIN Decoder

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
Guest Gman422

My knowledge differs, like this: A 31 denotes a half-ton whilst the 32 denotes a 3/4-ton truck. Successive up-numbered trucks are 1-ton (36)etc. Also directly to this is: that if it had 6 lugs originally it is a 31 (pickup, panel, or cameo) the 3/4 and one-ton trucks have 8 lugs.

Edited by Gman422 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This may be too late to be of use to TCoker but for others searching on this... it appears Brian is correct. Per the 1958 repair manual both 3100 and 3200 series' are 1/2 ton the difference being wheelbase and bed differences with the 3200 being the longbed. 3/4 ton series numbers are 3400, 3500, 3700 (Light Duty Forward Control vechicle type) and 3600 (Light Duty Conventional vechicle type). The 3600 is the "normal" pickup truck and only comes with the 123 1/4 inch wheelbase so all are longbeds (not true for Forward Control which have wheelbases of 104, 125 and 137 inches). 3100 & 3200 will have 15" with 4 lugs (lowest gross vehicle rated truck), 15 - 16 - 17 inch with six lugs. All 3/4 ton trucks will have 17 or 19 in and 6 or 8 lugs depending upon individual model.

And I've just begun tearing down my longbed I've had since 1999. On blocks, right front fender and hood off. Left fender almost off. Already have a pile of parts and a number of plastic baggies with bits and pieces in them... Truck was "free" so it will be interesting to see how much $$ it costs to put it back on the road.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jak 1963

Im finding this discussion realy interesting but the badge on my 58 has a 38 on it. I think its a one ton duelly but I,m getting confused

• 5 months later...
Guest 58apache38
Im finding this discussion realy interesting but the badge on my 58 has a 38 on it. I think its a one ton duelly but I,m getting confused

It is, a 38 is a 1-ton and can be a dually or not

• 5 years later...
Guest apacheman

hello all I recently bought a 1958-1959 apache stepside  long bed 4 flats on the  AZ mexico border  the new title issued says reconstructed looks like 58 emblem on the hood the title says recon 1959

az title says it first rolled july 1959 it says its # 109955 I'm trying to get past the 16.5 rim and looking for a simple affordable rim and tire replace to 16" ? I need a seat windshied right front fender really appreciate anybodys insight  or parts sources on this  Thank you  Danny   Tucson AZ 1-386-424-0001