Does anyone know whcich version of the first four issues of Automobile Quarterly is rarer.

Guest Gummibear

Guest Gummibear

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have two different versions of the first four Automobile Quarterly books. The one that seems more common is the one that has the pictures covering most of the cover. The other that I haven't found any listings for anywhere is like the later years where it is a smaller set in picture in the middle of the cover. Here is the two versions of Vol 1 No 1.

Thanks,

Richard

DSCN0049.jpgDSCN0050.jpg

Edited by Gummibear (see edit history)

The bottom issue is the oldest, have to find mine, it may have had a dust jacket as well. The top issue may be a reprint. I can remeber buying that first issue at a book store when it first came out. Just noticed the top issue has the subscribers name embossed on it, a feature that started years after AQ first came out.

Those AQ's with the larger picture on the cover were the original issues, sent quarterly to subscribers. Some may also have been left over for later purchase. The others, with the smaller cover pictures, were probably a subsequent printing or binding, but there is nothing to indicate that in the books themselves. Compare the thickness of one to the other and you will see that the earlier issues had thicker covers. Given a choice I would personally opt for those.

After the first year, the volumes which followed were about 7/16" shorter horizontally.

The second and fourth issues of volume 1 were valued at about twice as much as the first and third ones according to the 1991 edition of Tom Warth's "Car Book Value Guide". No distinction was made relative to the two different cover treatments.