Formulating Francis Cream Paint for a '36 Roadmaster

JoelsBuicks

I've reached a point where I need to purchase paint for my 36 Roadmaster. Originally, the car was black but I want to change it to Francis Cream which is apparently a one-year only offering for Buick in 1936. I've found a website that has cross references to colors but the codes they show are not meaningful to either DuPont or PPG suppliers.

In order to get the right color, I either need a small patch of Francis Cream color for them to match or I need the formulation. Has anybody gone through this process for this color? At this point, I'm looking at a single stage urethane, either PPG, DuPont, or Sikkens.

Thanks for your help,

Think I have color chips for 36 altho not certain of condition. I purchased my paint from AutoColor as it was the only source I located for my 36 buick model 40. Link is http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclns.html. If you don't want to use their paint could buy a quart and have sample for your supplier of choice. I used Ballue Brown, original color of my car and found it to be as close as I could tell to the original that was found on parts of vehicle. Hope this helps and I'll see if I can find the chips and advise. Will be out of town quite a bit this week so may be weekend.

Rod

From what I can tell, the Sequoia Cream looks to be a little more yellow but I've only seen pics. Could it be the same color as Francis Cream but with just a name change? I know that the guy at PPG worked for quite some time to come up with a cross reference before giving up. Rod, AutoColor may be the way to go.

Thanks,

Joel

Guest Grant Magrath

Sequoia Cream is the same as Chevrolet's Italian Cream for the 1939 year. So it may be that the if a cream was used on the 36 Chevies, it could be the same formula as Buick's. Just a thought.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Interesting...

I painted my 39 Chevy Tusk Ivory. I was going to go with Italian Cream or a blue color whose name escapes me now. There's a few diecast collectables in Italian Cream for sale online, so you can get an idea of how it looks. Strangely enough, I ordered my Vette paint today. Mille Miglia red!!!

Cheers

GRant

Joel go down to your local hard ware store and get some colour chips from the paint section wich you think would be a pretty close match, take them (if you know some one who has the colour your after) and find the chip that has the closest match, take that colur chip to some one who has a photo spectrometer in the automotive industry and get them to take a colour reading for you, this will scan the data base and should come up the top ten colours that are a pretty close match, we use spies hecker with the photo spectrometer with a lot of sucess, this will get you the closest possible match good luck

Edited by Besty (see edit history)

All the fancy names of paint colors reminds me of the story of the Packard guys in the Art and Styling department, having to come up with names for all the colors. Tired and ready to go home, one of the fellows wrote down "Phartedon White" as a joke. Came in the next day and the brochures were being printed, as it was thought it was some Roman reference.

Urban legend type thing I'm sure, but points out the strange names for colors..

All the fancy names of paint colors reminds me of the story of the Packard guys in the Art and Styling department, having to come up with names for all the colors. Tired and ready to go home, one of the fellows wrote down "Phartedon White" as a joke. Came in the next day and the brochures were being printed, as it was thought it was some Roman reference.

Urban legend type thing I'm sure, but points out the strange names for colors..

This is the same as car build, GM was building cars in Canada that the USA never wanted to know about. Look at the cars and trucks built in Canada and check out to see if you have one. The color might be the same (doubt it)post-70388-143138408094_thumb.jpg