Cure for pain in the A*# e-bay ads

R Walling

To search for parts for a specific car, go to the advanced search and exclude the word ,FITS, and your items will be only for the car parts, not super turbos, dodads or screw assortments. :P

I NEVER have used the word FITS and still end up with trivial crap that I would not put on any car.

Guest Jim_Edwards

And how about 20,000 car covers or in dash radio adapters?

I guess ebay hasn't figured out they have sellers that are ruining the value of the site for buyers and all the sellers who haven't bought a container load of crap from Taiwan or mainland China.

Jim

Guest Double M

Actually Ebay recently passed a new rule prohibiting multiple listings to combat this, but it seems to have had little effect. I believe soon offenders will be charged for breaking this rule...

As an ebay seller it is frustrating for me as well. Ebay kept urging me to fill out the compatability feature and I just left it blank. I figured if a guy couldn't find the part I have listed for say his 1939 Cadillac by the listing and title which said 1939 Cadillac Horn button then he didn't really want or need one that bad.

Ebay offers a way to eliminate words in other searches and it works great. The problem is they won't let you do it in ebay motors. That is more frustrating. The last thing I really want to look at when I'm looking for parts manuals is one for every foreign car made. (I deal in domestic parts only). Maybe someday they will figure it out. Suggestions and complaints get you nowheres I have found.

Guest Jim_Edwards
As an ebay seller it is frustrating for me as well. Ebay kept urging me to fill out the compatability feature and I just left it blank. I figured if a guy couldn't find the part I have listed for say his 1939 Cadillac by the listing and title which said 1939 Cadillac Horn button then he didn't really want or need one that bad.

Ebay offers a way to eliminate words in other searches and it works great. The problem is they won't let you do it in ebay motors. That is more frustrating. The last thing I really want to look at when I'm looking for parts manuals is one for every foreign car made. (I deal in domestic parts only). Maybe someday they will figure it out. Suggestions and complaints get you nowheres I have found.

I would hope that most looking for parts for their car or even a car have the good sense to be specific in their ebay search as to year and brand, although I can tell from these forums that is apparently not always the case. You are certainly right about ebay apparently being ineffective in curbing the ding bats that seem to think if they have 100 of something they have to list all 100 where they come up whether applicable to an individual's search or not. If I'm not mistaken there is a way on ebay to list there is more than one item available and buyers can then elect to buy one or more. Of course much of the crap can be avoided by looking at "Auctions" only, which will greatly reduce the "Buy it Now" listings of all the crap.

Jim

These are yet more examples of why eBay is a company that caters ONLY to the sellers and rarely listens to the buyers, especially if your not a power seller. It's odd why they don't care that w/o buyers, sellers are out of business. This is a classic example of a company that I love the product, but HATE the company (just like Harley-Davidson) Until they put equal importance on buyers and sellers, they will always suck and I try to circumnavigate them when possible. I have made the vast majority of "eBay purchases" w/o eBay involved other than initial contact. I would be less likely to do that if they were proactive in customer service. Maybe a real phone number to a real person in customer service would be SUPER.

It used to be you could actually find what you were looking for, but now it like going to a swap meet, you must now wade through all the non-auto related crap (jewlry, foot massages, candles etc) and hopefully, HOPEFULLY somewhere in there are actual auto-related items.

I have made many respectful complaints over the years to eBay, not a single one was ever answered.

I actually don't think they care a whole lot about either. I'm a top rated powerseller. I sell about 3000 car parts a year. I get the same run around as anyone else. The only difference is I get a special phone number to call to resolve problems. I've only used it once or twice and it doesn't do much except put you on hold for less time. I've even ended emails with phrases like one of the guys who pays your salary and what not but that doesn't get you anywhere either. You just get to smile and pay their fees.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Ain't at all like ebay was when it first started up and they truly cared about their reputation and the reputation of both buyers and sellers. It's probably only a matter of time until someone sets up a decent competitive site for folks like us. Being successful is great, becoming wildly successful obviously not so great.

Jim

Ain't at all like ebay was when it first started up and they truly cared about their reputation and the reputation of both buyers and sellers. It's probably only a matter of time until someone sets up a decent competitive site for folks like us. Being successful is great, becoming wildly successful obviously not so great.

Jim

Yeah...set that up, will ya? And make it an auction site about ONLY antique cars and parts...nobody can list a part or car unless it's 25 years old or older! I will shop and sell on that site...email me when it's ready. And oh...NO BRAIDED HOSES ALLOWED!!

Yes, too bad that ebay cannot clean some ads up. I click the vintage car part section but even then not a large percentage of parts for the marque that one is looking for. All new stuff or an auburn fender from 1929 that also fits hudson, buick, stutz, pierce,moon, minerva or white truck. amazing

keith123451@live.com

auburn, moon etc

To search for parts for a specific car, go to the advanced search and exclude the word ,FITS, and your items will be only for the car parts, not super turbos, dodads or screw assortments. :P

The best cure is to try another auction service. If you haven't tried them yet, Ahwooga.com is less expensive, easier to navigate, INCREDIBLY Customer-service oriented, and ONLY driven to link up automobile market sellers and buyers. I have been suitably impressed with them so far. The best revenge against a company that doesn't provide service, is to deny them the opportunity to fail you - YET AGAIN! Go to where the new market is and where your business is WANTED! I think many of the folks here would be very pleasantly surprised with the Ahwooga site.

Docs Gal