Oil Breather Cap

Ron Luchene

I need to replace the oil breather cap on my 65' and am curious which cap is correct. My existing breather cap has a hose extending to the air cleaner. My air cleaner is an after market unit. I have seen pictures of Rivieras with and without the hose connected to the oil breather cap. Was this driven by emissions standards in some states or are there other factors? I would like to eliminate the hose if there are no issues doing so.

I have a 65 which was originally from California. It has a hose from the breather plug to the air cleaner, whch is original to the car. The hose constituted "California emissions" in 1965. I have seen other 65s without the hose, as they aren't California cars. I assume that you could eliminate the hose - just don't drive in California as you could be breaking the law;).

Keep the breather hose. When in place it creates a "closed" PCV system and will direct blowby gases back into the air cleaner instead of into the atmosphere....and the interior. Subsequently, the smell of blowby in your clothes and hair wont clash with that new Christmas cologne...unless the wife is a gearhead. ;)

Tom Mooney