EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE THE GREEN LIGHT

Marty Roth

Even when you have the green light.... you cannot be too careful, especially when driving your collector car....

Click on the below link,

YouTube - Red Light Runners Compilation

Take a look at some of these -- and try to stay safe.

See you down the road --

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards

Proof the various states are issuing driver's licenses to unconscious idiots that shouldn't be allowed on a sidewalk with tennis shoes.

Jim

Even being in a parking space can be dangerous when the other driver is careless.

Just today we stopped for lunch in a nearby town. We had just pulled into a diagonal parking space and Bill had looked to see if it was okay to open his door to get out. The space beside of him was empty.

Thank heavens he did look because a man in a fullsize pick-up truck made an illegal turn across traffic to dart, at way too fast a speed, into the open space. :mad:

If Bill had opened the door the front of the truck would have torn the door off of our Jeep Liberty and most likely drug Bill into the path of the truck and crushed him between the truck and our Liberty. The truck was going way too fast for the man to have stopped. He wanted that close space that badly.

The man then got out of his truck, never looked at us and went walking away to go to the barber shop to get a haircut.

So watch out for bad drivers....even sitting in a parking space.

Guest bofusmosby
This is what a guy on a cell phone in an SUV did to me when I was lawfully parked at the side of the road, all the way out of the driving lane.

QUOTE]

Yea, I wonder how many of those idiots where either talking or texting on their cell phones. The first time I took my car our for a ride, some idiot almost "T"-boned me. Lucky for me, the horns on my car sound like they belong on an 18-wheeler.

Just yesterday I had my trial for a careless driving ticket I got in Oct. I had stopped at the stop sign, checked traffic and proceeded. A mailman in his mail truck decided to turn left into me on his way to McDonalds at lunchtime, but stopped short (about 2') of hitting my drivers door. I also stopped and let him know what I thought about his agressive actions and started to leave. He pulled forward, I anticipated the impact so I stopped. His left front corner hit my left rear just as a cop pulled inbehind him. The a-hole cop gave us both careless driving tickets. He said I should have accelerated thru the intersection to avoid the wreck! In court I was all alone, no lawyer, no witnesses except for the cop and mailman who I knew would be there. Even the photos and google sat image I had were dis-allowed as I did not have hard copies (my printer croaked).

I showed where had I done as the cop suggests, I could have ran over people in the crosswalk just 30" ahead that he did not know was there. I got the cop so pissed off on the stand about the omission of the crosswalk on the drawing he made of the intersection/wreck that he asked to judge to make me stop! (WAAAAA, sniff sniff!!!) The mailman even complained that I was trying to put it all on him. I said "Of course I am, as it was all your (his) fault and he could have avoided it by waiting for the intersection to clear as the law states he should have. In the end, the judge said "NOT GUILTY!" and then the cities procecuting attorney even said "good job!" to me as he left. The mailman got 3 points and a $150 fine plus whatever he punishment got from his employer for wrecking his truck on duty. Yup, that was a fun day in court!

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

I was involved in a T bone "accident" [i was the party T boned and was innocent] and have seen two other T bone "accidents". Anyone who is the guilty party running a red light and causing a T bone "accident" should be arrested for attempted murder.

Review that tape again and look at the mayhem caused.

To do what? Maybe save 30 - 60 seconds of time?

A week ago, my wife was stopped at a stop sign, very clear and visible, in her GMC Envoy. A young boy (probably texting but we don't know for sure) never even slowed down, hit the rear of her car at full speed. No skid marks, nothing.

As a testament to the strength of having a truck frame, the damage to my wife's car was a rear bumper needing replacement (still $1300). His Jeep Cherokee was totaled, the entire front end clip ripped off and in the middle of the road. We think what happened is he hit the trailer hitch, and on the rebound the front of his Jeep snagged something, and it ripped the front off his car.

Wife OK, but his insurance company is sucking up bigtime, we aren't the kind who would sue but there are plenty who would, they've already offered her a sum to settle for "mental anguish", with us only asking to fix the car and pay the emergency room visit.

There are idiots out there driving for sure. I always wait and look, even after the light turns green. This might **** someone off behind me, but it saved my 31 Pierce, I waited and looked once, and a van ran the red light, right where I would have been had I been watching light only......

Great advice. I ALWAYS look left and right when I have the green. Same goes for a stop sign.

Had I not followed this I'd wouldn't be here now. Several years ago I came up around to a light crossing a 4 lane highway. There isn't great visibilty of traffic on the approach. Apparently god was looking out for me because looking left and right when I had the green was not something I usually did. I glanced left just as I was about to enter the 4 lane. Just then in the nick time I saw the 18 wheeler bearing down full speed. I jammed the brakes as he went by and missed me by a couple feet. He stopped about 150 yards down the road. The timing would have been perfect for a direct broadside hit.

Even since that day I have been giving people advice to look before you go through an intersection no matter what. We can't prevent every type of accident but this is one that can.

An additional hint from my wonderful driving instructor in high school, Coach Cadd, do not turn your front wheels in the direction of your turn until you are actually in motion and turning.

When you are sitting still waiting to turn keep the wheels straight. That way if you are hit from behind your vehicle will be more likely go straight forward rather than turn into oncoming traffic.

Doing this saved my ex-husband's life and the life of his step-son when they were plowed into from behind in a blind curve.

One of my many activities is that I am also a paramedic. In that capacity , I have the "privilege" to observe a number of drivers on the road (as do those of you who are professional drivers). It sometimes amazes me that we don't have more accidents. In addition, I have been on the scene of more accidents than I care to mention (I've been doing this for 25 years) where the people involved did not know what happened. As with operating any machine, it becomes dangerous when you take it for granted. Talking on the phone, texting, eating, drinking, singing, putting on make up, reading, changing clothes, making love (yeah that one is true), going to the bathroom (that one too), brushing teeth, combing hair, and dozens of others are all reasons I have been told caused distraction while driving. We all do it to some degree, and it is ALWAYS dangerous. I don't know how to prevent it but if we could it sure would save a lot of lives!!!

An additional distraction that I see time and again is pets loose in vehicles.

Many times little FiFi is standing in the owner's lap with their paws on the window sill, over the driver's arm. Or the owner is holding the pet and driving with one hand. A friend of mine had his SUV rearended a year and a half ago by a young woman that admitted that her little dog jumped into her lap and distracted her. She also was following too closely and hit his car because she didn't have time to hit the brakes, there were no skid marks on the pavement.

I have a dog. I love her just like other people love their dogs. She rides in the back of the vehicle and she is tied off so that she can not get over the back seat or jump out into traffic when I open the tailgate to get her out.

Pets need to be in a crate, behind a divider or tied off so that they can not cause a distraction to the driver. Children have to be properly restrained in vehicles. Pets should be also for their own safety and the safety of everyone else.

Edited by Shop Rat
Add a ' to owner's. (see edit history)

Guest billybird

I was watching a news special a while back and an "expert" claimed someone texting was the same amount distracted as someone on cocain when it comes to driving. I don't know if thats true or not; but I believe it.

One of my many activities is that I am also a paramedic. In that capacity , I have the "privilege" to observe a number of drivers on the road (as do those of you who are professional drivers). It sometimes amazes me that we don't have more accidents. In addition, I have been on the scene of more accidents than I care to mention (I've been doing this for 25 years) where the people involved did not know what happened. As with operating any machine, it becomes dangerous when you take it for granted. Talking on the phone, texting, eating, drinking, singing, putting on make up, reading, changing clothes, making love (yeah that one is true), going to the bathroom (that one too), brushing teeth, combing hair, and dozens of others are all reasons I have been told caused distraction while driving. We all do it to some degree, and it is ALWAYS dangerous. I don't know how to prevent it but if we could it sure would save a lot of lives!!!

I have seen MOST of those things, myself!!

Guest bofusmosby
I have seen MOST of those things, myself!!

I have DONE most of those things myself, except I do not own a cell phone. ;)

Just kidding!:D

Here in the Dallas Texas area I see people running red lights almost daily. I'm not talking about pushing through on the end of the yellow but zooming through totally after the light has changed to red, and many of the vehicles are 18-wheel trucks. We never start out at green without looking both ways just like a railroad crossing.

I've been T-Boned twice by drivers who ran stop signs. One was a hit and run. That idiot must have been drunk, or high on something and he was never tracked down. That time was in my 1962 Ford F-250. That is why it is so many colors. I put it back together and it still moves snow. The Second time was in one of my Chevy Novas, A light blue 78. The driver just never even looked my way and pulled right out in the highway and there was I. The old Nova Lived on, but was tore up on the passanger side pretty bad.

My old mother drove a motor cycle for about 20 years and I always worried that someday she would get hit but thankfully she never did. I was glad the day that she gave the bike to a friend that taught her how to ride, and he came and got it out of here.

As far as truck driving goes. I have done my share. A lot of times I see drivers stopping beyond the white line at a stop sign or light. In a large truck trying to make a corner, it is difficult to get around them. If they only followed the rules it would make everything better and less stressful for all of us on the roadway. Also, with a heavy load, that rig cannot stop on a dime. Some lights around here do not have a long enough yellow signal duration. A few more seconds in a big rig would make a difference. Kind of makes me wonder about who engineers the lights and sets the timing in them.

I have always made a habit out of looking both ways before pulling away at a green light also. Dandy Dave!

WOW!, that's a new one.......:eek:

Skyking, I remember that guy specifically. He had rearended another car at a stop light when he leaned out the window to spit out the foam. He was on his way to a date and was running late. He had a bottle of water in one hand and the toothbrush in the other. I didn't ask what he was driving with!!!

These stories just prove how bad the world is getting. I fear when my son or daughter is out driving with my my grand kids in the cars.

Did anyone happen to watch Oprah last night?

The Worst Days of Their Lives and the Miraculous Twist of Fate - Oprah.com

What a HORRIBLE thing to go through. I saw it and as usual...Oprah got me. Let me clarify...I do not watch TV all day while at home. My wife comes home from work and breaks the silence by turning that box on.

Guest Skyking
Let me clarify...I do not watch TV all day while at home. My wife comes home from work and breaks the silence by turning that box on.

That's how I saw this program. We watch TV while eating diner. After that I seldom watch TV.

I had occasion to participate in the installation of a traffic light in front of the plant where I work.

The line across the road is called a "stop bar", and it is there for a reason. It's the point where turning vehicles can clear the front of your car. It's where the optical sensor is aimed, or more correctly, aimed at the space behind the bar, so that the light control system "knows" that there's a vehicle in the space.

Time and time again I see people stop beyond this bar, and of course, see people who cut the corner instead of turning the corner, crossing over the stop bar as they turn from the cross street.

I've mentioned it before, but there's a great book called "Traffic", which goes into detail about how people's personalities change behind the wheel of a vehicle. Agressive, competitive, anonymous, drivers don't just merge, they want to be ahead of you. Pull out in front of them, even at a safe distance, and they're mad because you are where they think they should be. C'mon, we've all felt these feelings, particularly when younger.

There are a lot of things people do in automobiles that they wouldn't do on foot or bicycle/motorcycle, simply because an enclosed car de-personalizes you. Pedestrian, guy on a bicycle, or on a motorcycle, is a recognizable person. Guy in a car or truck is "traffic."

Now, at the age of 60, I'm much more careful and less agressive, as I really don't want it to end in my favorite mode of transportation (or, as the old joke goes, I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like his passengers........)

Be careful out there!!!

I have a friend in Fla. that lived the nightmare of a young man blowing through a STOP sign, in a turn lane from a cross street.

Her son's wife to be, Jennifer, was killed instantly. Her son was so badly injured that the doctor's kept him in a medically induced coma for at least ten days, during which time he didn't know that his wife to be had been killed and had already been buried by the time he was able to get out of the hospital. So he never got to say goodbye.

Her husband was on the same of the car that Jennifer was but in the front seat. He had several major bones broken and had to have several surgeries.

My friend was lucky, she was driving and her worst injury was a broken arm.

Many lives changed forever in that split second in time. One that no matter how much they might like to can not be taken back.

I let my girfriend use my 89 crown vic to take her kids somewhere and some idiot ran the stop sign near the house,she got banged up a little and got a lawyer since the idiots insurance company does not want to pay up. I liked the two fire trucks hitting each other and would hate to have to explain that to higher ups.

I like it when I see an idiot fly past a cop, and though a red light, and get pulled over. I guess that's my favorite.

I was on a local County Road a number of years ago when a couple of young drivers blew past me on a solid double yellow line. Comming the other way was a State Trooper. He turned around and pulled them over and stopped me to ask if I had witnessed the act. I knew the Trooper and told him yes, I saw the whole thing. The youngsters admitted what they had done and he waved me on. For once, a law officer where you needed one. :D Dandy Dave!

I like it when I see an idiot fly past a cop, and though a red light, and get pulled over. I guess that's my favorite.

I was on a local County Road a number of years ago when a couple of young drivers blew past me on a solid double yellow line. Comming the other way was a State Trooper. He turned around and pulled them over and stopped me to ask if I had witnessed the act. I knew the Trooper and told him yes, I saw the whole thing. The youngsters admitted what they had done and he waved me on. For once, a law officer where you needed one. :D Dandy Dave!

That reminded me of an incident about 4 years ago. I was on my way home from Lowes and this kid just felt the speed limit was too slow, so he rode my butt trying to push me (not gonna work!) I turned left past a school where he decided to pass me (HE WENT INTO 3RD GEAR AS HE PASSED ME), in a 20mph school zone, yellow school zone lights blinking & double yellow lines. As he cuts me off to get back into the one lane, a cop hiding off to the side pulls out behind me. He zipped passed me (and was obviously mad) on his way to have a conversation with the moron. I waved to the kid as I went on by, smiling! That had to cost him his licence and mucho $$ too as it's always doubled in school zones (should be tripled+.)

Guest bofusmosby

I hate it when I am driving in a 50 mph zone, and there is someone poking along at 25-30. As I finally get around them, I see that they are jabbering away on their cell phone. It makes me want to snatch that phone from their hand and beat them with it. Don't get me wrong. I would NEVER be aggresive towards another driver, it just ticks me off when some of these people have no consideration for anyone else. I remember a while back, there were commercials on TV about not being a driver that gets mad at other drivers (drivers rage) when on the road. Well, if there weren't complete idiots out there, there would no reason to get angry. There are so many people on the road that are totally oblivious to everyone else.

OK, I'm done. Whew, I feel much better now.

Guest billybird

I like it too when the Police is in the right place; right time. I was waiting at a traffic light one day; when the light turned green I went straight but the first car on the other side of the intersection make his left turn in front of me to be first. I had to apply my brakes to let him go. I was in my truck so the violator didn't see the police car right behind me. Turned on the lights and pulled him over right then. I laughed.

Wish there had been an officer to see these dangerous situations.

To get to the barn where one of my horses is we have to drive through a one lane tunnel. Lights control the flow of traffic.

About four months ago I am waiting in the driveway of the barn to pull onto the road to go through the tunnel to go home. The light was red on our side. From my right comes a woman driving pretty fast and she goes through the tunnel, against the light. I kept waiting for the crash but luckily for her the tunnel was empty. It has a blind curve in it so you can't see oncoming traffic if they don't have their headlights on, which many don't in daylight.

Then a couple of months ago Bill and I went out to the barn.

On our way home we drive through the tunnel and when we exit it we see a large SUV pull out of the line of cars waiting for the light to turn so that they can go through.

The driver then goes around us on the passenger side, where I am, and drives on the berm at the edge of the road and enters the tunnel.....against the light. :eek: He and his buddies are laughing and gesturing like they are having a good 'ole time.

Again luck was on the side of the bad driver and they got away with it and didn't get hit or caught.

We don't enter that tunnel anymore without honking the horn at least three times.

Scary the stupid things people will do.

Have had several interesting uncalled for events. Was going into work one afternoon. Waited on the sidewalk until the light turned red and started across. Just in time I realized the large dump truck approaching was coming too fast to even think about stopping. I jumped back and barely escaped getting hit. The driver had a cell phone to his ear. He went through that light and the next one and pulled in on a parking lot; I guess to complete his call. I had about a dozen witnesses. I called the city police but they would not do any thing. I then called his boss who was a friend of mine (I thought). Don't know that he did anything either.

Another time I was in Roanoke, Virginia on a two lane road in a mixed business/residential area stopped about 4 cars back from a car wanting to make a lefthand turn when I noticed a Kia approaching rapidly in a 35 mph zone. She had to have been going faster than that. I could see about a 1/4 mile behind me and when I saw her coming I said, "She's not going to stop." She didn't until she hit me with my foot planted hard on the brake pedal so I would not get knocked into the car in front of me. Even at that she knocked me about 6 feet. About $1,200 damage to the Blazer and her Kia had to have been totalled. Said she didn't know we were stopped. What I would like to know is what she was on. I could go on and on but I don't want to write a book.