1931 Dodge Brother trip/visit

keiser31

We reached our destination for the weekend-Desert Hot Springs.

179 miles today. Vapor locked a couple times today-kind of scary on a 4-5 lane hwy when the car decides to quit!!.We tried to stay on the R-hand lane, but hard to do when you have to cross two exit lanes to get back on the freeway.

Put water on the fuel pump the first time ,then ice the 2nd time.Wasn't that hot today,so can't understand why it was vapor locking.Maybe it's that US gas!!!.

Glad to finally reach our destination for the day!

That's it until next week.

Glen.

Hi Glen- Congrats on making your destination. I am sure it is beautiful there right now, as it was nearly 80ºF here in San Diego.

And I feel your pain, the freeways can be really tough down in Southern Cal when you are in an 80 yr old car. My DB buddies from Canada never understand why I would convert my 1929 DA's over to a Five speed T5 transmission. Now you know. The stock 3-speed crash box won't allow you to keep up with traffic. And sadly, there are few if any alternatives to the freeway system in many places here. San Diego freeways @ 45 MPH = dead meat. Now I cruise happily @ 60-65 smoothly and quietly. I love it!

Best wishes on your continued safe journey and thanks for your postings. Joe

Guest MidTNDawg

Glen, thanks for the report. Sorry for your problems but very happy it worked out ok. As Dr. Joe said, it sure sounds like a beautiful day and trip. Enjoy the week-end. Looking forward to any more reports. Doug

Hi Glen

What type of fuel pump are you using; the original or an after market electric? Re the vaccum lock. Also, more specs on the S-10 transmission conversion. Are those using the conversion worried about over running the brakes, wheels, etc.? My understanding is that even though the early ads said our cars would run 50 to 60 mph there were few paved roads out in the country then to prove it and our cars (my '28 DB Std 6 with mechanical brakes) seem a lot more comfortable at 30 to 35 mph after 80 years on the road. Continued gook luck and best wishes. Paul

On the road again after spending a couple of days in Desert Hot Springs with a couple we met on the last leg of the 2010 coast to coast tour in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region></st1:place> . We drove from there to Dulzura, SE of San Diego on Sunday. A little less traffic to deal with.

We stopped at Home Depot in <st1:place w:st="on">Sun City</st1:place> and got some plumbing insulation & put it on the heater hose and the gas line. We had no trouble with vapour lock since.

Monday we toured the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">San Diego</st1:City></st1:place> harbour , nice & hot today; in the 80’s.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

HI Glen and Edna

Glad to see you are having fun. -17c tonight so justttt alllittle eeenvious.

Do you still have the splash pans on your car? I heard that if they are off not to much heating problem. Then maybe a water and dirt problem will start. Take care Kevin

HI Glen and Edna

Glad to see you are having fun. -17c tonight so justttt alllittle eeenvious.

Do you still have the splash pans on your car? I heard that if they are off not to much heating problem. Then maybe a water and dirt problem will start. Take care Kevin

Hope you don't mind my answering of your splash apron question.....if you mean the items on each side of the engine, then yes, Glen's car still has them installed on the car.

One of the pict. show them off, maybe that was a pict. taken at another time

They are both there...they just hang a bit low. I took those photos at the same time and I saw them. You can see them if you look REALLY close.

post-37352-143138416549_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138416554_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Dulzura to Yuma 203miles

Rented a side by side 2-up bike on the harbor in San Diego.( gave the old girl a rest!)

Beautiful drive along 94 & I-8. Much smoother than the rough I-5. Went from rocky terrain to the flat fields & sand dunes. the GPS was great for showing the curves ahead of time.

We had a private campground all to ourselves and the Dodge felt right at home on the Barrett Spring dirt road to get there.

Pictures to follow.

The message sometime ago that was a little garbled was because it was pasted from Microsoft office.Not sure why it went like that.

To answer a few more questions; the fuel pump is original with no electric.

I do not have a T-5 trans.There is a 39 Desoto OD mounted remotely, between it & the trans is an 8"driveshaft.

I found out why the coolant bubbled out on the Grapevine summit NE of LA. The overflow on the rad was plugged.(working good now)

In San Diego, the same tire went flat for the 3rd time, so ordered a new tube & seems to be good now. The ribs on the inside of the tire seem to wearing through the tube. That's it for now.

Guest MidTNDawg

"I do not have a T-5 trans.There is a 39 Desoto OD mounted remotely, between it & the trans is an 8"driveshaft."

31DH, idrjoe, or anyone, is there more info available for the 1) results of the od unit, i.e., effects on rpm's, cruising speed, etc and 2) the install procedure for the '39 od.

I assume any Chrysler product od from the 30's would work. What about the Columbia od which got installed on Fords?

Thanks, Doug

Well hey there Glen and Edna, (if you are still reading this) how's your adventure going? You probably are still out there in Yuma with the snowbirds. Dad and I sure enjoyed meeting you folks. I sure wish I had the day off when you were here in San Diego, so we could of done some touring together. It's always fun meeting Club members from out of town. I love your car and am enamored by your spirit of adventure. Maybe one day I will get the courage to drive one of these old cars up to see you on the farm/B&B. The pictures you shared of your homestead were really neat. Thanks a million for stopping by- wishing you the best and lots of good times ahead. Joe

We've been in the Yuma area since the 21st-enjoying our time here. Right now we are out in the desert by Imperial Dam ; in the land of wind chargers,solar panels,generators & blueboys.( sewer tanks on wheels pulled by ATV's &

pick-ups).

Checked the clearance on the valves and they were all over the place from being too tight to too loose. I think we are about half way through our trip since we left home,travelling 4185 miles so far.

We had a good run from Yuma to Mesa yesterday,244 miles(Jan 30).I-8 was smooth & mostly level with a bit of a tail wind, so had trouble keeping the Dodge down to 55mph ( our normal cruising speed.) Even got Edna driving while Glen had a nap! There was very little traffic for a change. Made it in 5 hrs.

Short run to Casa Grande yesterday(Tues.) The front seat came loose so stopped at a machine shop and had a metal plate made.

While in Mesa noticed the middle hanger on the exhaust pipe was broken, so wired it up in the parking lot of the RV park.

Stopped at an irrigation dealer to see if I could purchase a cranking mechanism for our irrigation gate and noticed a cement pad there, so drove the one side of the car on it & borrowed a cordless drill to drill a hole and reattach the exhaust pipe hanger.

Today repaired the seat and wired the headlights direct to the cable going to the starter using a light switch with a built-in fuse. Purchased the switch at an auto-parts store. On the package it said "for older vehicles." The original fuse on the car was not enough to run the halogen bulbs plus the trailer lights.

We are staying with some friends for a few extra days as the nights are getting as cold as 25F; a little cold for sleeping in a tent! It's only a couple degrees warmer than at home!

Edited by 31DH (see edit history)

Thanks Glen My buddy is runnig a volvo od in his ford 29 pu and he is running about that 1800

You are having fun being the back yard mechanic in the side of the road. That is what cruising in the old iron is all about. Hope you donot run into any snow. Nasty weather in the eastern states.

take care Kevin

Guest MidTNDawg
About 1800RPM 14 US gal ; 18 imp. gal.

I am seeing the reality of info from idrjoe concerning transmission gearing and think I may have to do something in this area. Boy the engine has to be wound up in my DA to run even 40 mph. Doug

Guest MidTNDawg

Bob, 55 mph sounds to be really pushing it. The brakes seem to be very adequate, but I think lower rpms are more than desirable. idrjoe used a BW T5 but I am wondering about a later '30's. I will probably get into that in depth after I am back at home driving regularly. The good news? It is plenty driveable but with one exception which I will address in a separate forum. Doug

If your going to stick a T-5 in it why not just go ahead and stick a small block and get it over with. I guess cheby motors are about the easiest and cheapest