Is this true about Chevrolet Cars and SUVs?

Guest davidhill

Guest davidhill

I am looking into getting the 2010 Chevy Equinox for my birthday and someone told me Chevy's are good for the first couple of years and after that they aren't very reliable.

Is this true??? :confused:

I have a 1996 Suburban, 2500, big engine. Bought with 28K miles, now has 160K miles. Minor, routine maintenance along the way. Brakes are weakest part, have done them a couple times.

Hard to say that's not "reliable."

A lot of factors figure in to reliability. Routine maintenance and oil changes (which I'm convinced should be at 5000 miles, that's what my company lease car pays for and they've had a lot of experience, think the 3000 miles just adds to cost), how it's driven, and some random factor of one vehicle getting a lot of parts that are just within specification.

I have a 2009 Malibu, company car, and it's one of the nicest cars I've driven out of Detroit for a long time.

All in your perspective, I guess.....

That would depend upon who you talked to and everybody has there own opinion. I have had quite a few Chevy's through the years and have gotten over 200,000 miles on most of them. I do my own scheduled maintenance and they have served me well, plan on buying a Chevy pick up next, currently have a 2005 Chevy Astro van. It has 100,000 miles.

Gm has had problems with some of there designs,, the 3100V6 3200's 3400's all have problems with the intake manifolds gaskets leaking, the 3800 series 2 have problems with the plastic intakes melting and flooding the engine with coolent,, have lost two motors to that, now have modifyed the the intake/ egr to fix that,, but my GF has an astro that we just took in to have E-tested last november and had 460,000Km on the clock and still going I did rebuild the original transmission last year, had to replace the 3-4 clutch pack, but they have an upgraded setup for it,, but it went at 450,000Km which is better than what dodge was getting out of there mini vans transmissions

I just traded my '98 Safari in a '05 Astro. The Safari had over 200,000 miles on the clock. The fuel pump was replaced at 170,000, water pump at 140,000, shocks and idler arm at 130,000, intake gasket was done at 180,000 miles. The intake was not leaking. I did it as preventative maintenance. It still had the original exhaust system. It was running great, just had too many work related dents. I wanted to obtain an '05 that will hopefully give me as dependable service as the '98.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience of Chevrolet and GM is that they are not very well built. Some people have no trouble with them while others have nothing but trouble. Like any car you will likely have better luck if you baby it and maintain it by the book. If you are buying new you can do this, and not worry. Plus it will be under warranty.