Door Handles

My 1928 Commander Victoria came to me with two handle styles so I can't verify which is correct for it however the driver door handle appears to be replaced with a 1929-30 version. The splined stud it attaches to in the lever assembly inside the door is the same for several years so subtitutes can be used if needed.

I do believe the passenger door handle is original 1928 style. The window lift handles are also two different styles. The reason for this as you probably realize by now is that the original zinc diecast "Potmetal" metallurgy is self destructive at this age and crumbles from any stress applied like opening the door! Be sure replacements you get are brass, bronze or other more durable metal.

The most active reproducer of prewar Studebaker parts is Steven Munts, Custom Antique Parts, 4903 South Mohawk Drive, Spokane, WA 99206, phone 509-892-9258. Contact him whether he has reproduced the handle you require.

Stude8

post-31139-14313840184_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138401847_thumb.jpg

Not so fast. I had a conversation with Steve Munts a number of years ago about the door handles and window cranks on 1928 Studebakers and he said he had seen at least five different style on the 1928 models. He only reproduced a few of them. The Type one twos and threes were totally different cars in many cases. They also used up 1927 parts on some of the low production models like touring cars. I am attaching a better photograph of the handles on my ORIGINAL interior 1928 GE Type 2. This is an important dialogue because it is this confusion that make the 1928 dictators some of the least valuable studebakers on the market.

As an illustration I am also going to post The August 1928 GE list of Headlight parts page. There were five different style if you include the CM Hall type used on only some Royal types. This catalogue has not been reproduced and includes parts changes not listed in the later all sixes catalog.

I have tried six times to add the photographs and the pdf of the parts book. I get a site security error message. I will wait for the administrator to reply then I will put up the pdf and photographs.

A most interesting thread. My '27 Dictator came to me with mismatched interior door handles (I suspect as a result of deteriorated pot metal). I also remember reading Steve Munts is/is going out of business. It would be nice to know how many handles were used on 1927 models and which are "correct" for the Dictator model.

I just realized that I have a good interior shot of a Royal Dictator from the Studebaker sales book for 1928. I hope you can make out the door handles at the resolution for on line. Interestingly the cloth in the image appears to be the same as my 1928 Royal Dictator.

There is also another shot in the book of the interior of a President. The door handles in that image are quite different. I can post that as well it people are interested.

post-31704-143138420888_thumb.jpg