Painting Sun Bleached Interior Beechwood Tan

Guest ReattaFan1

Guest ReattaFan1

I found Pep Boys had a Vinyl and fabric paint but nothing close to the Reatta beachwood color. But it gave me the idea to look around and I found a close color match by Krylon called Brown Boots. I found it at Wal-Mart but it might also be found in Lowes or the Home Depot too. It's in Satin so it's just like the original luster. Im not too fond of glossy interiors.

DSC00262.jpg

Here these pictures show the areas that were affected buy the sun in contrast to areas that were not bleached.

DSC00259.jpg

I tried a color test on just a section of the interior truck access door. The Krylon is a bit lighter than the original but 99% better than the olive color they were. Here is that sample with just one coat

DSC00266.jpg

Before painting always make sure you remove all the grime with a stripper like purple power cleanser and rinsing well. Then just before painting go back over with a lint free cloth and 91% isopropyl alcohol

Im doing several projects at a time so it may take me a week or two with the final product samples.

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

Over the years I have bought about 6 pints of the beechwood interior color from auto parts stores that sell automotive paint. I use my spraying equipment but most of these stores will mix up the exact color and then put it in spray cans. You then get an exact match.

I am pretty sure I have good speaker grills in tan and will check and then reply on your other post.

Guest ReattaFan1

Well, The test coat that I panted. Even though it's satin, it's still a tad too shiny for my taste. If you like the shiny Armor All look it still might work for ya. But, Ive got this far might as well have the right color and have the matte finish. Jim thanks, I'll check around to see if a local shop can mix me up some beechwood. Sherwin Williams has an automotive paint store close by. Harbor Freight has spray guns and but several to choose from. Im not sure what one to get. Im on a budget, It's a cheep one thats 20oz high volume low pressure. 20 Oz. High Volume Low Pressure Gravity Feed Spray Gun

Can I use that with a 5 gal air tank filled at 125psi with that air gun Will that work?

Then there is this kit but Ouch! 80 bucks http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

Guest ReattaFan1

20 bucks a can? Holy Cow! I just found a link to Fiero Store Online and it has the Beechwood Interior Spray Paint by Sherwin Williams. Thats a big difference from Wal-Mart 3 dollar Krylon. But I guess if you want a good finish... I'll still shop around a bit first. http://www.fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=50944&d=206&p=1

Guest ReattaFan1
If the color's right you might be able to bring the gloss down with a light abrading like with a scotchbrite pad.

Good idea! Yeah, the color is good. Or maybe find a spray clear coat matte finish if it's such a thing. I'm going to check Lowes and Home Depot before I move forward. They usually have a good selection of can spray paints.

Guest ReattaFan1
I think it was Mike who mentioned the SEM brand that comes in quarts is the perfect match. The do not sell that shade in a spray can.

You can find itin a can here Interior Paint Interior 84-88 Pontiac Fierofierostore.com

But for a cost. It's $20 a can

The fiero store teamed up with Shirlwin Williams and match the paint for the 88 Fiero Beechwood interior. I'm guessing with both cars being the same year and GM the color would be the same.

I'll be sure to check out the SEM brand. I found some cheep gravity low pressure air guns but I just got to do sone homework to find out what sprayer would be best.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ReattaFan1

Well, because of funds I couldn't afford to buy $30 a quart SEM paint. On top of that I'd had to get the sem paint tool kit. I have way too much going on at once on this car to spend any more than I have. Right now the car is at Midas getting new pipes from the converter back with a one exhaust port muffler . The total cost on that was over $300 but they knocked off $130. Some how I think that was just a sales gimmick to make me believe Im getting a deal. So, anyways back to the interior. I stuck with the same stuff I mentioned in the very beginning of the thread, the $3.oo can's of Brown Boots by Krylon. It really wasn't all that off. WAY better than the two tone sun bleached olive color it was. I did find at LOWES valspar has clear flat. I tried that on just one panel and I was in love. OMG that took the satin shine away. I've just finished all the panels. Tomorrow I'll be heading over to Padgett's place with the car. You can see what he says about it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ReattaFan1

Update on the Krylon paint. It's been some time ago that I painted these panels. At the time the panels did after a day did dry to the touch. After installing It looked beautiful and still does. BUT... The Krylon after being in the heat will become tacky on the vinyl pieces. It has something to do with a reaction to the paint in heat on vinyl. Anything plastic remains dry. When the temp drops back down in the evenings the paint is not as tacky.

I'd hate to have any others do this work and have the heartache that I have. I did a google search on the web with key word sticky paint on vinyl and found many other forums with this problem painting car interiors. Well, I learned first hand. I DONT RECOMMEND PAINTING THE INTERIOR WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN SEM VINYL PAINT.

Now, that said, how do I clean the paint off the vinyl? Is it possible to do it without too much mess and without ruining the panels? LOL, Or maybe if I go through one Florida Summer, the heat may bake the paint to a dry crisp. Thank God I hadn't yet painted the door panels. HELP!!!

I did a google search on stripping paint off vinyl and here is something one person advised:

"You may want to give Mineral Spirits a try or Laquer Thinner. Both are much less agressive than Acetone and since the are oil based should not strip out the conditioners in the vinyl to bad. Your will need to use a brush of course to work down into the texture of the vinyl. A few other things are goo gone, zippo lighter fluid, and a petroleum based cleaner called Lestoil. If those don't get the paint off then I don't know what to tell you."