check a/c

Guest squiretom

Guest squiretom

now that it is chilly in florida, i have had occasion to use the heater or econ setting . lo and behold the check ac light has illuminated ( previously ac was working fine). is there an ac code i should look for next time

i cleared all the code the ac now works.

i think it did the same thing last year.

since then i use the auto ac and set it at 75 .

ac working fine yesterday and today.

Guest Silverghost

I suspect your Freon-R-12 or R-134a A/C system charge may be slightly low or borderline .

This will first show up as an A/C warning fault code when the outdoor temps are low in the 75*f or lower range. Your system does this via a pressure switch to protect your compressor from damage & burn-out .

You may need to re-set yourA/C warning fault code and slightly re-charge your A/C system to top-it-off properly !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest squiretom

does the battery disconnect do the same as clearing codes through the ipc diagnostic?

i cleared the code through the ipc .

Guest squiretom

i guess i need to check the refrigerant level. i converted about two years ago and there is some residue on the compressor, hope a top off is all i need.

thanks for the replies , especially about the 75 deg f issue.

Just to follow up on clearing a/c codes. If you get the low freon alert it can be cleared by using the IPC diagnostics or disconnecting the battery.

If you get the warning that tells you the compressor has been disconnected to prevent damage, disconnecting the battery cable may be the only way to clear the code. Clearing codes using the IPC diagnostics does not always activate the compressor after you get the warning.

• 2 weeks later...

This often happened on my previous 89.

Even though I had checked refrigerant, until I saw true warm weather, the light came on. There was nothing wrong.

As I remember, there is a dangerously low warning as well that turns off the compressor. This never happened.

Tom T

Tom is correct. If the R12 or 134A gets too low, the compressor will turn off. The only way it will turn on again is to reset the codes. My 89's Low Refrigerant warning would come on anytime it was below 60 degrees. Oddly, if the temp. dropped below 35, the warning never appeared. Go figure. I had the refrigerant checked several times, it the readings were within specs.