1938 Buick front shocks

Guest OLBUICKS

Guest OLBUICKS

I need to check the fluid in the front shocks of my 38 Model 47. When checking the fluid should the front end need to be raised under the A frame with coil spring compressed, or jacked in the center crossmember with the front end dropped? and what fluid should I use? Thanks

Guest Silverghost

No need to change the normal standing position of your car to check shock fluid level.

Most folks use hydraulic jack oil ~~~Most auto stores have it.

Motorcycle fork oil can also be used~~~ It comes in several thickness grades to give you a stiffer ride . ~~~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Csteve300

Robert, I can't speak for dry shocks from experience, however,without fluid I would think they would be very loose. I am not a fan of knee action shocks, although I have owned 3 cars with them. They do not seem to have the resistance of tube type shock.

Guest Grant Magrath

I can speak from experience about dry shocks! They're bouncy! You can certainly feel the difference as you work the shock arm up and down as you fill them.

Cheers

Grant

Grant is right on here. Mine were loose as a goose until I put some fluid in them (used fork fluid) and now they are working correctly. One still leaks a little. If they seem to not have any resistance, they are most likely out of fluid.

robert-mine were exactly like yours until I put fluid in them

Really, well, i guess to fill them, you just have to take out the little bolt on the top. They are REALLY tight, I was trying to get one off.

Where do you find fork fluid.

Thanks for your reply Grant...my '36 has lots of little issue now with the front end. We had to put another engine in it as mine had three cracks when bought. :( did not see that.

Robert

If you are just topping up a driver filling them up will be OK but if you are restoring the car I would fix the leaky seals now or the will just empty out again.

**** !!! Just listening to the news as I type this!!

Christchurch hit again !!!

You OK down there Grant ???

Danny

Mine must be missing something, because there is a no resistance at all. They just go up and down, and you can't even hear anything inside of them doing anything. Just the arm goes up and down. Probably frozen on the inside.

robert

If they are bouncy, they cannot be locked up. They are just dry and there is no resistance @ the compression and rebound pistons, obviously due to lack of fluid. To swell the rubber piston cups in mine, I filled them with MEK (methylethylketone), bounced the car several times, and let them sit for a day, emptied it out and refilled with hydraulic jack oil. To get more resistance, you can add a tablespoon of STP to each shock.

My $.02

Mike in Colorado

:)