1950 paint colors

Pete Phillips

After five years of patiently waiting, my 1950 Roadmaster 2-dr. hardtop is going to the paint shop on Friday--they called today and said they had an opening--hooray! The car has been stripped of most of its trim and rear fenders and been sitting in primer in my garage since the day I first brought it home--previous owner's abandoned restoration project. I have kept the car running by religously starting and running it at least once a month, occasionally moving it around under its own power inside the garage. 74,000 actual miles, such a sweet running car, doesn't leak, and I have all of its parts plus some extras from a parts car that came with it.

Its paint code is #25 which is Kashmir green, a medium-to-dark slightly metallic green. I think half of all 1950-52 Buicks are painted this color, and I don't particularly like it, but I have a green original interior on this car and a green firewall (and I don't want to take the engine out nor redo the original interior which is pretty nice), so I'm pretty much stuck with Kashmir green. My question is, are there any other roof colors that go with this for 1950? I want this car to be correctly colored for 1950. Perhaps a light green roof? Or white roof, or did they just not do that?

Maybe somebody can just assure me that another all-Kashmir green '50 Buick will still look good!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

1949 Super Estate Wagon

1950 Roadmaster 76-R

1959 Electra 2-dr. ht.

1962 Electra 225 4-dr. ht.

1963 Wildcat conv.

post-32059-143138394526_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143138394531_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

No question that Buick Division was a bit "green" nuts in 1950 as there were seven different green paints offered in that year. There were only two tu-tone offerings with any of the seven and none involved Kashmir green. The two combinations offered were Verde Green over Cirrus Green and Verde Green over Niagra Green.

Now if you don't give a flip about year color correctness you could leap to 1954 and use Beach White ('54 color code 43), which would probably look great over Kashmir green.

Jim

That's some great news Pete. I actually like the greens of the early fifties and would encourage you to stay with the Kashmir green. I think you will be VERY happy when it is all done and the chrome back on and shining. But here's something to play with to get an idea of what some different colors could look like. Just go down and click on the colors to change the colors on the car.

1954 Buick Highway - Style your 1954 Buick Century Riviera

Uhhhh Jim, Beach White is a new one on MrE for '54 Buick's. Arctic White and it's code was 2 or B for a top color is the only white I know of for '54. I'm thinking you meant 1952 maybe?

But again I vote for Kashmir Green...with Dante Red wheels

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

That's some great news Pete. I actually like the greens of the early fifties and would encourage you to stay with the Kashmir green. I think you will be VERY happy when it is all done and the chrome back on and shining. But here's something to play with to get an idea of what some different colors could look like. Just go down and click on the colors to change the colors on the car.

1954 Buick Highway - Style your 1954 Buick Century Riviera

Uhhhh Jim, Beach White is a new one on MrE for '54 Buick's. Arctic White and it's code was 2 or B for a top color is the only white I know of for '54. I'm thinking you meant 1952 maybe?

But again I vote for Kashmir Green...with Dante Red wheels

Yup, 1952 it is correct for Beach White. What's real interesting is the Ditzler color chips do not show a Kashmir Green chip, but have the notation that Kashmir green was added in the fall of 1950 as an over color, i.e.; a top color in tu-tone combinations. Strange!

But I agree Kashmir Green Poly is a nice color, maybe the best of all the 1950 greens.

Jim

My first Buick (and second car) was a '50 Super 2 dr hardtop with a stick shift and high speed Dynaflow rear axle. It had a very dark metallic green (almost black) top, and a very light "creamy" green on the bottom. It was a beautiful car, and I wish I never sold it even though it was the first of 18 Buicks including seven Rivieras in my life.

:) kaycee

• 9 years later...