Discovery Channel looking for a late '50s Buick-URGENT!

bhclark

Want to be famous? OR maybe Infamous?

I received this email today. I am too far away to assist, but I checked the name out and I believe it to be a legit request.

I am trying to put together a recreation shoot for a Discovery Channel program for this Thursday, Jan 6. I am looking for a black Buick from the late 1950s. You don’t live anywhere near Charleston, SC, do you? If so, would you and your car be interested in participating?

Lincoln

The shoot is this Thursday, 1/6/2011.

If interested, PM or email me and I will send you his phone number and contact information, as I don't want to publish it here.

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

They are not going to crash it, smash it, crush it, burn it, , shoot at it, blow it up , or hotrod it like they do on other Discovery & Cable TV channel shows like Mythbusters, or Jessie James's , Boyd Coddington's or Chip Foose's, "Pimp" my ride, or other old shows~~~ARE THEY ?

WHAT EXACTLY do they want this late 50s black BUICK actually for ?

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Brian, one of our members at buick-59.com lives in North Carolina, and owns spectacular original examples of a black '58 Buick Limited 2-door Riviera and a black '59 Electra 225 4-door hardtop.

I've sent you an e-mail with the latest e-mail address we have for this individual.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Not meaning to nit pick here (well maybe I am ) but if this guy from Discovery needs a black 1950s Buick for Jan 6th, shouldnt he have started looking before Jan 4th ?

I mean Ive done some of this stuff with my Buicks and at one time did get called in the morning for an afternoon shoot ....... but the info on my cars was in the production companies hands long before the actual filming ever started. In fact one I recently passed on started filming in Wheeling W. VA at the beginning of October and the production company was out passing out fliers to cars they thought would fit their needs the weekend before labor day.

Discoverys kind of cutting this one close. Hope they find what they need.

Dan

Not meaning to nit pick here (well maybe I am ) but if this guy from Discovery needs a black 1950s Buick for Jan 6th, shouldnt he have started looking before Jan 4th ?

I mean Ive done some of this stuff with my Buicks and at one time did get called in the morning for an afternoon shoot ....... but the info on my cars was in the production companies hands long before the actual filming ever started. In fact one I recently passed on started filming in Wheeling W. VA at the beginning of October and the production company was out passing out fliers to cars they thought would fit their needs the weekend before labor day.

Discoverys kind of cutting this one close. Hope they find what they need.

Dan

Yup it was probably too short of a notice, but we helped him as best we could and that's all we can do. Maybe next time, now that they know we are willing to help they will ask with more advanced notice.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Its a strange thing. My cars have been used in 2 locally shot movies, however in both movies my Buicks hit the cutting room floor, one is actually quite funny if you catch it. The first one was not a big budget studio production its called "Mysteries of Pittsburgh" I think a part of my car still appears in one of the shots in this one . They were the nicest people, they needed cars and were very happy that they had a supply of cars to use. They treated both the cars and the owners of the cars with respect.

The second one was called "adventureland ". It was done by a subsidiary of Disney and they treated both the cars and the owners like something they had to scrape off of the bottom of their shoe. At one point during filming there was a guy with an older Ford and a member of the production crew jumped up on to the hood of his car and decided thats where they were going to watch the shot being filmed. the Fords owner asked her to please not sit on his car and she told him "Im a second unit assistanr director and ill sit wherever the hell I want to watch this shot". Well that was enough for him and pretty much the rest of us too. With the primadonna still sitting on his hood he started the Ford up and started driving away ...... she screamed , jumped off and he just kept on driving ..... never saw him on the set again. Ruined the shot and started a big problem. With the way we had been treated the car owners went to the transportation captain and told him to get a handle on these people or we were all going to follow the Ford right out the door. so there was a big meeting and the filmcrew was told to lay off the cars and after taha we at least got a little bit of grudging courtesy. It can be fun to see a movie made but it can also be a hassle.

Dan