Sign in to follow this  
keiser31

Wow...Tucker confiscated...

I was looking at the post about voting for the cars to be displayed in the Smithsonian and read that the Tucker (#39 is what they quoted) on the list was confiscated in a drug bust/dealings and given to the museum! Wow! Now we all get to go see it.

post-37352-143138392827_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how visible it's been since then, but their Tucker was on display when I had a chance to visit in 1995. I don't remember it being an especially impressive example.

I saw it in the traveling exhibit in the late 90s and its nice and complete but the sign said, Tucker automobile, famous for its revolutionary ideas such as air cooled engine and the five sided rear vent windows. Really?? That's the best info they could provide?? When they displayed Mike Erruzione's (sp?) Jersey from the 1980 Miracle on ice, they had on the tag: A US olympic team hockey jersey. Really?? I learned more from the factoids on cereal boxes. I love the museum but do wish they'd focus on sharing knowledge over social change,

Smithsonian has 1 of only 4 or so known BELL Automobile (built in York, PA) radiator badges.

As far as I know, the Cammack Tucker collection, which has been donated to the AACA Museum, is still located in Alexandria, Va., just a few miles from D. C. Mr. Cammack, an AACA member, has been very receptive in the past to showing his multi-car, engine and....plus-plus-plus collection to small groups. If it's Tucker you want to see, his is the place to go.

I...but the sign said, Tucker automobile, famous for its revolutionary ideas such as air cooled engine and the five sided rear vent windows. Really?? That's the best info they could provide??

Even more impressive considering that the engine is NOT air-cooled... :rolleyes:

Our club toured the Cammack collection last April. You can see photos of the tour here:

Tucker Collection Apr 2010

Even more impressive considering that the engine is NOT air-cooled... :rolleyes:

In a way it IS, as it was built by Aircooled Motors.:) If they capitalize the "C", they'd be correct. But, as you are saying, it was not air cooled. The engine started out life as air cooled, then converted to water cooled.

The engine started out life as air cooled, then converted to water cooled.

Tucker did consider an air-cooled version. The link I posted above has a couple of pictures of an experimental air-cooled version of the passenger car engine. Cammack's collection of prototype and experimental parts is just amazing.