1970 Ford maverick fuel pump & Tires

Hello everyone. Thank you for all the comments on my last thread, I really appreciate it. I finally got around to talking with the lady that owns The maverick and she says that everything is solid all the way around. No rust holes through the body Anywhere except for the few small ones in the engine compartment. Also the frame is in great shape. She said the only problems with it at the moment Are the bad gas and flat tires on the driver side. Im pretty confident that this car, beings it is older, has a mechanical fuel pump under the hood? I figured i would just get one of those little 2 gallon gas cans and fill it with fresh gas. What im wondering about the fuel pump is, It has an input side and an output side right? Can i just pop the main fuel line coming from the gas tank off of the mechanical fuel pump and pop on some fuel line of my own and stick it into my little 2 gallon gas can? this would be my supplementary tank to get the car home. THIS WOULD BE COMPLETELY TEMPORARY... just to get it home. I live 30 minutes away from where This beasty has been sleeping:) So after the fuel problem was taken care of and if it starts up and runs good like she says it will, i still need some good tires for that driver side. I was wondering what the lug pattern was and the tire size. I was hoping it has size 15 tires because i have a brand new spare that i could swap out depending on how many lugs the car has. Then i figure i would just use a donut spare or something like that to get it home. Do you guys think i could do these things to get it home?

Thanks guys,

KT

I would never take any craigslist or ebay sellers word on the condition of any car this old that they are selling.

BUYER BEWARE~~~

Have the car checked-out by someone that knows what to look for !

Lay on the ground and actually look for rust under the car at the suspension areas where they connect to the basic car structure itself !

These cars are known to sometimes have serious rust problems underneath yet the body itself may look fine on the outside exterior !

Any unrestored Maverick this old is sure to have some rust !

The two gallon gas tank will work but be sure it is properly secured and cannot tip over. Make sure it is also out of the way of any hot exhaust pipes & manifolds !

You don't want to start a fire here !

I am not exactly buying what she has told you about the no underside rust and the "bad Gas" statement !

The engine should run on the gas in it's gas tank !

I am not trying to prevent you from buying this project~~~

I just don't want to see a young person like you get burned with buying a lemmon of a first car project !

Be Careful & Good Luck !

It does run on the gas in the tank but it runs like crap. I will be pulling the spark plugs as well to check for fouling and all that stuff. I will also make sure all plugs have spark too. I am definately not going to just believe what the owner says. I know i can get burned if i was to do such a thing:D I do know what to look for and i will also have my uncle Chad with me to determine some things and double check after im done. I have used craigslist quite a bit. I'm way more equainted with motorcycles than cars but i know the basics. I dont plan on really restoring this car. I want to make it... my own:) You know, glass packs and matte black paintjob!!!! i cant wait to check it out. Thank you for the reply. Do you know anything about the lug count on the wheels? Im guessing 5 lug but im just wondering if i can take any 5 lug wheel and throw it on there? I was also wondering what size tire.

Let me know whats up guys,

KT

It does run on the gas in the tank but it runs like crap. I will be pulling the spark plugs as well to check for fouling and all that stuff. I will also make sure all plugs have spark too. I am definately not going to just believe what the owner says. I know i can get burned if i was to do such a thing:D I do know what to look for and i will also have my uncle Chad with me to determine some things and double check after im done. I have used craigslist quite a bit. I'm way more equainted with motorcycles than cars but i know the basics. I dont plan on really restoring this car. I want to make it... my own:) You know, glass packs and matte black paintjob!!!! i cant wait to check it out. Thank you for the reply. Do you know anything about the lug count on the wheels? Im guessing 5 lug but im just wondering if i can take any 5 lug wheel and throw it on there? I was also wondering what size tire.

Let me know whats up guys,

KT

Okay, let's back up a step or two here. Let's start with whether you have personally laid eyes on this beast you are interested in buying. There are all sorts of problems with the info you are sharing with us. So let's start with some basics. Which 6 cylinder engine does the car have? To answer your question about fuel pump, the engine would have had a mechanical fuel pump originally. Now a problem with the statement about rust holes in the engine compartment. Where in the engine compartment? Inner wheel wells or firewall? Basically rust in either location is not a good sign for a uni-body car like a Maverick and could indicate the car has been driven on a beach frequently or on roads where salt/sand mixtures are commonly placed to deal with ice. Rust worms could be in other places not easily seen.

Now to the "running" like crap issue. Lots of reason a car can run like crap and not all are associated with fuel delivery. One of the bad things about Mustangs, Falcons, Comets, etc. of the era is the top of the fuel tank is also the floor of the trunk if I'm not mistaken and by now the original tank would have likely required replacement due to pin holes from rust out in the top of the tank. Pull the trunk mat up to see if there are evidences of fuel residue or an old fuel odor. A bad tank is a deal killer in my mind as the gas tank in 1970 Mavericks and Comets were unique to the year and those two cars. No one makes new tanks for them. To get one that is not too bad repaired runs between $150-$200.

There were both 4 and 5 lug bolt patterns used with Maverick in 1970. Which will depend on the specific nature of the brake system in the car as there were two variations of drum brakes as well as front disc brakes offered. Additionally it could have 13" or 14" wheels.

Here is what I would suggest you ask the seller.

1. How long has the car been sitting?

2. Why was it parked?

3. Is the battery dead as a door nail?

4. Were there gas fumes evident inside the car when driving? (fuel tank issue)

5. How old are the tires? Two being flat is not a good sign and the car should be trailered not driven. Just ain't safe!

6. Automatic or standard transmission?

From what you are revealing that car may well be a money pit. You might want to look for something in a little less distress and with fewer unique one year parts issues. I'm seeing roughly $800 to get the car road worthy without a new or repaired gas tank or any issues with the brakes and transmission. This appears to be potentially a far more than a tune up will get it back on the road car. I'd look for another a little newer car with fewer potential issues, though it might cost a few hundred dollars more.

Jim

I have already asked the lady most of the things you told me to ask in your reply. They bought the car from an old lady for their kids for when they got older. They got old enough and the kids decided they didnt want it. That was about 2 years ago. The lady says they have been starting it once every year. It has the 4.1 litre 6 banger in it. They said when they bought the car, it was totally drivable and everything worked great on the way home. But obviously not now after being parked for a couple of years. I know where to look for rust underneath the car. I will when it comes time to go and look at it with my mom. As for the engine compartment, there are 2 or 3 very small rust holes on the inner wheel wells. That is the only place i could find rust IN THE PICTURE.. If i find more or if i find any in a place that i REALLY shouldnt be, ill just pass on the car. For the most part everything sounds true. It would be a ******* thing to lie about rust not being in places if i can just get down under the car and look. Just clarifying, i do know where to look for problems. thanks for the info on the gas tank. I dont think it has that issue with the pinholes, i believe it just has old, nasty, smelly gas in it. I figure ill do my gas can setup and then clean up the fuel linings and change the fuel filter when i get it home to my nice warm garage:) the simple standard tunup stuff will definately get this car back on the road if the body and frame are in the condition that she claims they are in. Im sure ill be posting alot on here in the next couple of weeks. I will be going through the carburetor, changing the oil, plugs and wires, air filter, tires, and popping out dents and sanding/sealing rust spots. I also plan on sanding the points and checking the timing. I have one more question, do you guys think that a standard donut spare would fit on that maverick? You said 4 or 5 lug. Does that mean i can just use any wheel and tire with 4 or 5 holes?

Thanks for all the help guys,

KT

I have already asked the lady most of the things you told me to ask in your reply. They bought the car from an old lady for their kids for when they got older. They got old enough and the kids decided they didnt want it. That was about 2 years ago. The lady says they have been starting it once every year. It has the 4.1 litre 6 banger in it. They said when they bought the car, it was totally drivable and everything worked great on the way home. But obviously not now after being parked for a couple of years. I know where to look for rust underneath the car. I will when it comes time to go and look at it with my mom. As for the engine compartment, there are 2 or 3 very small rust holes on the inner wheel wells. That is the only place i could find rust IN THE PICTURE.. If i find more or if i find any in a place that i REALLY shouldnt be, ill just pass on the car. For the most part everything sounds true. It would be a ******* thing to lie about rust not being in places if i can just get down under the car and look. Just clarifying, i do know where to look for problems. thanks for the info on the gas tank. I dont think it has that issue with the pinholes, i believe it just has old, nasty, smelly gas in it. I figure ill do my gas can setup and then clean up the fuel linings and change the fuel filter when i get it home to my nice warm garage:) the simple standard tunup stuff will definately get this car back on the road if the body and frame are in the condition that she claims they are in. Im sure ill be posting alot on here in the next couple of weeks. I will be going through the carburetor, changing the oil, plugs and wires, air filter, tires, and popping out dents and sanding/sealing rust spots. I also plan on sanding the points and checking the timing. I have one more question, do you guys think that a standard donut spare would fit on that maverick? You said 4 or 5 lug. Does that mean i can just use any wheel and tire with 4 or 5 holes?

Thanks for all the help guys,

KT

STOP, THINK, and LISTEN!

That car should not be driven or even started without first changing the oil, which after the amount of time it has been setting will have separated and will have become incapable of properly lubricating the engine. A real good way to chew up the main and rod bearings along with the crankshaft!

No attempt should be made at starting it before making sure there is no moisture trapped under the distributor cap.

Do not assume there are no pin holes in the top of the gas tank without examining it by pulling the trunk liner back. No exceptions!

Do not assume the brakes are functioning. The shoes could easily be stuck to the drums, wheel cylinders could be leaking, master cylinder may be leaking, and if it has a booster it could also have issues.

Do not assume squirrels and/or rats have not been chewing on wiring.

Presume there is water in the gas tank! If there are no pin holes visible in the top of it, drain it and put a few gallons of fresh gas in it. This time of the year there will be enough ethanol in gas it will disburse any remaining water to where it should be possible to start the car and keep it running long enough to get it on a trailer. As for the flat tires they'll probably hold air long enough to get them on a trailer if you put a can of Slime into them.

That's right I said trailer. Listen to the voice of experience of having dealt with many, many cars which ran until parked. Of course you can choose to be a head strong idiot and find yourself or a family member, since you are not old enough to have an operators license, stranded on the side of the road, in the middle of a car fire, or running up the back end of another vehicle. Also the car won't be covered by any insurance which will be leaving your family at financial risk. You ain't dealing with a damn Moped here!

Jim

Jim ~~~ You and I are on the same wavelength and are thinking the very same things here !

I have only seen the few craigslist photos of this car~~~

It does NOT look all that great and I do see quite a bit of rust here !

The woman seller's story also rings many alarm warning bells~

WE know you have your heart set on buying this old Maverick and fixing it up & making it yours~~~

But Remember~~~

There are thousands of cars like this out there & better ones for similar money out there !

I would suggest you save-up a little more money and buy a car in better overall condition~~~

Spend a few hundred more NOW~~~ and you will save THOUSANDS $$$ later on restoration & frustration !

Fixing an old car up can be a very rewarding and fun hobby !

It can also be a great learning experience !

If you don't pick the correct car in the first place it can be a nightmare that will spoil this old car hobby for you forever !

You could also get burned or hurt !

I started to fix my first old "Battering Ram Beater" up when I was just 16 !

We want you to have fun & be safe with your first project !

You have to ask yourself why some other person has not already bought this old project Maverick ?

There MUST be SEVERAL reasons !

Please listen to Jim & myself !

We have both been there~~~

And done that~~~

MANY MANY TIMES BEFORE !

I know that this is NOT what you may want to hear~~~

It seems you have decided to actually BUY this car without actually ever inspecting it first hand !

Do NOT buy just on a cheap price !

If you advertise here for what you are really looking for I suspect someone here may be able to find you a better car .

Advertise on Crigslist , or here that you are a young fellow looking for his first car project~~~~

Someone will find a better car for you !

In fact they may GIVE it to you for FREE !

I have my Dad's old 1979 Chevy Caprice Classic

that runs great and is safe to drive with a V8 and AC with full power equipment and New Tires that I will GIVE YOU~~~ For FREE !

It can be driven home !

If you want it ?

And if your Mom says it's OK !

I suspect others will be willing to make you a similar offer you can't refuse !

No matter what the seller says, check the cowls for water leaks! Life long California cars have been known to have rotten cowls.

Too many people buy Mavericks, only to find rust that they didn't think was there, and only get frustrated, and lose interest very quickly.

Where is the rust under the hood?

Plus, rusty 4 wheel drum brakes don't work very well.

I would simply ask your local mechanic (preferably one who has older cars in his shop) to go with you and check the car out. If he is any good at being a mechanic, he can tell you in about ten minutes whether the car is worth getting knee-deep into or not. I agree with Jim and Silverghost on what they say, but to keep yourself from getting all in a frazzle about wanting the car, take a knowledgeable person to check it out. It will be WELL worth the money spent/saved. Sometimes the mechanic can direct you to a more suitable older car for you to purchase and work on.

Ok. I understand why you guys are kinda skeptical about this car. Just to clarify, my uncle (who has TONS of experiance in a shop environment and works on older cars) will be coming with me on this journey to go and look at the car. We will both be looking for rust (i know where to look and i know he does too) and we will both be getting it running. I will check under the trunk mat for pin holes. Im just saying, i do know what to look for but i will have a cerified mechanic who has gone to school and stuff come with me to double check. I'll check break fluid levels and top them off if needed. While i pump the breaks, ill have my uncl check all the wheel cylinders and stuff to see if break fluid is gushing out. They say, they drive it once every year and start it every 4 months or so. But, thats just what they say, they cant proove that. So at this point, i will assume the worst and check every single little nook and cranny on that car for damage and rust. Im not just gonna jump in it and drive it home, i know ill kinda have to gear up for this. Also, i have a place that i can park the car thats 30 minutes away. All of it is highway driving so if something goes wrong and i lose breaks while in on the highway, i have time to roll to a stop if i have to. if losing breaks seems to be a big possibility, i will be putting it on a trailor if i can find one and taking it home that way. breaks are my biggest concern at the moment. I go to look at is soon. Ill have the cash in hand and if i buy it, it comes home with me the same day. Ill video tape everything for you guys to see. Thank you for all your help and your concern on me buying a POS. I dont really have my heart set on this car. If its crap, i wont buy it.

I will keep you all posted.

KT

• 5 weeks later...

Archived