Question on 1909 early Model T

trimacar

Hi- in the mid-1970's, I pulled a Model T chassis out of the weeds in north Louisiana. It was then sold to a collector in New Orleans. It had exposed valve springs, and although I knew little about early Fords, he stated it was a very, very early car.

Does anyone know what happened to this car? Not interested in buying it, just interested to know where it ended up......and if someone owns it now and all they know is it came out of Louisiana, I can tell them the rest of the story...

Well, it's in my book!

I do have a manuscript, of 40 years of collecting and such.

Short version.

In the early and mid-70's, was going frequently in the winter to my Dad's hunting camp in north Louisiana. I'm not a hunter, but my brother is a master hunter, so we followed along. Our father helped us in our passions. He wasn't a big hunter, but he joined the club to keep my brother's passion alive. He had no interest in old cars, yet he bought me a '31 Chevy in 1964 (I was 13) and a '25 Dodge coupe in 1966 (I had my driver's license).

Would that we all had fathers who were so supportive.

So, on the trip up north to the hunting camp, we'd go by a doctor's clinic. Under the carport, I could see two Model A roadster, a 1917 Franklin touring, Model T touring, and early Buick (Model 16 toy tonneau, which I now own).

Unbeknownst to me (ain't that a great word?), there was a 1910 Hupp and a 1906 Autocar inside the clinic, sitting in the hallway.

Early 1976, I stopped at an antique store, about a mile from the clinic. In passing, I mentioned to the young guy that I would like to meet the doctor who owned the cars. The guy turned out to be the son in law of the doctor, and pulled out a list, saying "funny you should mention that, here's a list of the cars we just made, with prices."

I bought the collection, with the exception of a Model T touring (he didn't want to sell), a 1910 Buick (I now own, but he didn't want to sell), and the Autocar (overpriced).

I pulled the last of the cars I bought, including my 1910 Hupp, out of the clinic mid-June, 1976.

July 4th, 1976, the clinic burned to the ground.

I drove there, as the Buick, Autocar, were still there, as was a Model T. I cried.

The fireman had pulled the Model T from under a carport. The rims of the car cut their hoses. They thus refused to pull anything else out.

Autocar, burned mess. Buick, semi-burned mess, it was under the carport, not inside. I have one hubcap, partially melted, as it was on a wheel closest to clinic.

OK, this is getting too long. I later bought the Buick and Autocar, I'm in the long process of restoring Buick, the Autocar remains were sold to a collector on the west coast, and I understand it's a car again.

To the original question, the Model T was in the first round, I bought numerous cars in the collection, including a 1917 Franklin that ended up with Marty Roth of New Orlean, he reads this. The Model T was a side deal, had I known more about early T's, would have kept, the dollars were minimal compared to what's now floating around.

All detailed in my book, not yet published....anyone have publishing contacts? best to all David Coco