Jetaway

On 12/31/2010 at 10:11 PM, rocketraider said:

Nope. Your 68 is supposed to have a Jetaway, which was a 2-speed electrically downshifted torque converter transmission starting 1964. PowerGlide was only for Chevrolet. Buick-Olds-Pontiac used the Buick-designed Super Turbine 300 2-speed. Buick called it Super Turbine, Olds Jetaway, and Pontiac TempesTorque. Buick and Olds offered it behind small-blocks 64-69 in both full-size and intermediate carlines, Pontiac only in intermediates. Oddly enough, the A-body performance cars also got it.

The only one I ever owned had a sticky downshift switch that would often stick in kickdown when you set the automatic choke on a cold start, and would prevent the thing shifting out of low gear. A shot of WD-40 in the switch would help for a month or two, then it would start all over again. This was a 64 Tempest sedan daily driver.

Joe, that Accel-A-Rotor thing happened so quick you never noticed it. I'm told it was designed to occur within a few feet of the car starting to move forward. 3.64 to 3.03 is not a big drop. That (technically) 2-3 shift from 3.03 to 1.57 is quite noticeable and is the source of most griping about the Roto. One of my Starfires would occasionally stall the engine when it made that shift. You did not want it to happen if you were trying to get moving uphill.

When Pontiac came out with it's new 1964 "A" body Tempest the standard engine for the Tempest/LeMans was the Chevrolet Gen 3 straight six machined to Pontiac's specifications at 215 Cu.In. Did this engine come with the Powerglide because of it's Chevy's bellhousing pattern????

I suspect not. IIRC it had a Pontiac flange on the crank. I doubt they would have bothered if they were just going to bolt on a powerglide.

4 hours ago, Pfeil said:

When Pontiac came out with it's new 1964 "A" body Tempest the standard engine for the Tempest/LeMans was the Chevrolet Gen 3 straight six machined to Pontiac's specifications at 215 Cu.In. Did this engine come with the Powerglide because of it's Chevy's bellhousing pattern????

And my 1976 Oldsmobile Omega ( and standard for 1976 Cutlass ) has the same engine now at 250 cu. in. and it's T350 bellhousing is Chevrolet.

5 hours ago, Pfeil said:

The ST300 used behind the six cylinder motors had a dual pattern bellhousing. Olds used the ST300 behind the Chevy 230 and 250 I6 for 1966-1969. The dual pattern case is clearly shown in the Olds Assembly Manual drawings for each year. Note the figure in the lower RH corner of the page from the Assembly Manual.

0423001747.jpg

Jetaway 3.jpg

Jetaway mounting.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

And my 1976 Oldsmobile Omega ( and standard for 1976 Cutlass ) has the same engine now at 250 cu. in. and it's T350 bellhousing is Chevrolet.

Unfortunately not really germane to a question about a 1964 car, since the TH350 didn't exist until part way through the 1969 model year. Once the TH350 was released, yes, the Chevy pattern version was used behind the Chevy six in the BOP cars. Prior to that, the ST300 was dual pattern.

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

Unfortunately not really germane to a question about a 1964 car, since the TH350 didn't exist until part way through the 1969 model year. Once the TH350 was released, yes, the Chevy pattern version was used behind the Chevy six in the BOP cars. Prior to that, the ST300 was dual pattern.

Thanks for clearing up these murky matters. Also I know the automatic for 64-65 Tempest six was air cooled. And the st300 in the 326 and 389 did not have a variable pitch stator like Buick and Olds.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Pfeil said:

And the st300 in the 326 and 389 did not have a variable pitch stator like Buick and Olds.

Correct, only Buick and Olds used the switch pitch converter on the ST300.

Here is the Pontiac six with  ST300 automatic notice the open air bellhousing for air cooling and no trans cooler lines.

At about 8:40 in the video.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)