Exterior trim removal on 63 Riviera

Hi all. I'm going to be doing some minor paintwork repairs which will entail removing some of the chrome trim eg the false vent trim. I'd really appreciate any tips on doing this with minimal risk of damage to the various trims. I've ordered new clips etc so no prob if they get damaged. Many thanks!

If the 63s are the same as the 64s, you just gently pry the "fake vent" chrome out away from the body (they come right out, just have to be careful not to break anything..). There are no clips on the inside of the quarter panel holding it on, just a little plastic clip in the hole holds the piece on.... Providing you don't break anything upon removal, the vent trim just pops right back in when your done...

Many thanks. I didn't want to start prising things off without knowing how the various trims were held on. I'm guessing that replacements aren't that easy to get hold of. Incidentally, did all 63 Rivs have the trim running around the wheel arch edges? I only ask 'cos mine hasn't! I can see where it would fasten to tho'. As you may have guessed, I'm a very recent owner of one of these! Cheers.

Yes, all 1st gen Rivs has a stainless trim around each wheel opening.

I was not sure if the "fake vent" that you wanted to remove was on the side of the car or up in front of the windscreen, behind the bonnet.

The ones on the side just pry straight out. There are flat pins that go into sockets on the body. The trim is just weak potmetal. You need to pry gently right up next to the pin and work each pin out a little bit at a time. They will have years of corrosion on them, locking them in.

Edited by Jim_Cannon (see edit history)

. There are flat pins that go into plastic sockets on the body.

When I removed mine years ago, the sockets were a type of spring metal and yes, they had some rust on them. The replacement sockets from Classic Buick were plastic.

If the "horse shoes" have never been removed previously, you'll find that Paul is correct about them being corroded into the clip. If you try to push the clip and the pin both out from the inside at the same time, you'll most likely 1) break the clip, or 2) the clip will come out with the pin and slightly elarge the hole in the body. This would make reinstalling the trim piece very difficult.

Take care in removing the trim piece as was advised and try to keep some pressure on the clip so that it stays in place as the trim is being removed. If you can keep the clip in place as the trim is being removed, you can then extract the clip and it will stay in one piece and you can use it to reinstall the trim piece.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

. There are flat pins that go into plastic sockets on the body.

When I removed mine years ago, the sockets were a type of spring metal and yes, they had some rust on them. The replacement sockets from Classic Buick were plastic.

Think you were right, they were metal clips... Don't why I said plastic.... sorry.

Many thanks for all the good advice. Just waiting for the weather to clear a bit before starting on it (garage far too small!). Also looks like I'll need to find a new wiring harness soon. Under dash wiring looks pretty brittle.

• 2 weeks later...