Variable speed wiper

HarryJ

Some few years ago I aquired a carb rebuilding business. I tried to make it pay for itself; however, no go. So, I had to liquidate the business and try to sell the real estate. From the inventory of the shop I kept a few items, among the junk I kept were two NOS in the box "Time Wiper" units. These are after market devices to give your car variable speed windshield wipers. Does anyone out there have any knowledge on these devices?

post-34905-143138387644_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138387648_thumb.jpg

These don't provide variable speed wipers, they are an add-on aftermarket intermittent wiper mechanism. They work by interrupting the slow/normal speed of a car's wiper system. When activated they turn the wipers off and on at an interval determined by the knob on the control box, allowing the the wiper system to return to the normal resting position just as if you turned the switch off and on. When the mechanism is switched off the wipers act as normal.

I installed these in 2 of my daily drivers in the 1980s. Both worked very well, lasted through my ownership of both cars (5 and 7 years), and they were pretty easy to install.

The only problem with them is that the time delay mechanism has to be mounted under the dash, and it makes a loud/mechanical clicking noise with every repetition. Even in the 2 noisy cars I put them in (1982 Subaru Brat & 1989 Mitsubishi truck) the noise was an irritant, but it was worth it to have intermittent wipers cheap.

I bought five of these units at Hershey back around 1984 or so, for $ 2/ each, and had about the same experience as Dave.

As I recall, I installed them on:

1972 Citroen SM (Maseratti)

1971 Citroen D-21 Station Wagon

1963 Impala Convertible

1969 Pontiac Custom"S"

1977 Chevy Suburban

1978 Chevy Suburban

several other drivers - I took them off as I sold the cars, and transferred to the next