Reverse Problems

MarkV

So, I have had the '48 trannie completely redone, by a person I have used multiple times, and they put everything back together and it works great in forward gears, but, will not go in reverse still! He has looked over everything, I told him it was something to do with the overdrive, and Merv concurred. The overdrive cable is stuck in the engaged position, I am thinking that this is the only way, that it would be prevented to go in reverse! Let me know what you think!

Will the giear shift lever go into the reverse position or if it does will the car not go drive in reverse? the position of the OD lever and control cable should have no effect on the transmission shifting into reverse. If for some reason the OD is engaged ( solenoid activated) the transmission cannot go in reverse and the car will not move backwards. This is due to the free wheeling clutch behind the planetary gear set.

But, The low/reverse shiting lever with in the transmission shifts a control rod that goes thru the adaptor housing into the OD when the reverse gear is selected. Suspect this rail and fork assembly maybe stuck or jammed. The (stuck) OD shift lever may not be engaged in this rail/fork assembly and is interfering and not allowing the transmission to shift into reverse. There is a tapered pin that holds the OD shaft/control lever in place . You may be able to remove this pin ( tap straight up)pull the lever out a ways and engage it properly into the rail/fork assembly. You you may able to do this while the transmission is still in the car.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

Isnt there a reverse lockout switch that will release the OD solenoid once you shift into reverse? My car is in long term storage so cant check it out. But my Packard is hooked up this way and if the switch goes bad it will not release the OD locking the trans from going into reverse. You can go forward just not backwards.

Should be located just above the shift linkage and activated when shifted in reverse. If its there push the button with the key on and you should hear the OD release. if not check the wiring and switch.

The lock out switch just cuts votage to the system or in some cases doesn't allow the governor to complete the circuit for the OD relay. The purpose of the switch is to open the circuit when the OD is locked out or the transmission is shifter to reverse. If the OD solenoid is stuck in the OD position this will also not allow the reverse to ingage and keep the OD control locked "in". If the car drives in conventional gear ( no overdrive) then the problem is probably interference as stated earlier but if the car is stuck in overdrive then the trouble could well be the solenoid has power to it and has not released allowing the rail/fork assembly to move. This too can cause the OD control to stick in the "in" postion.

Well, they disconnected the cable, still no go! They are going to take it apart again and see what is wrong The lever moves smoothly the car just wont go in reverse, it sounds like it is stuck between gears and overloads the engine to where it sounds like it will shut off

Sounds like you may have power to the OD solinoid when you don't want it, or possibly the solinoid is stuck in the energized position. The solinoid comes out with two bolts an a couple of wires to unplug, you don't have to pull the trannie yet. Pull apart the solinoid electrical connections and see if the trannie will shift into reverse. If still no shift into reverse take out the solinoid. If this works, you have solinoid and/or electrical connection problems. You could loose some transmission fluid though, depending on the angle of the car on the jack stands or lift.

Abe