Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Dandy Dave

Guest bofusmosby
Y'all don't know anything about snow unless you've lived in the Washington DC area. It's gotten to the point here that if snow is _predicted_, things start shutting down and the whole area and everyone in it goes berserk. The local media weather weenies are usually the cause of this frenzy and the stations go into 'round the clock coverage of the ensuing madness. If you don't believe me, tune in online! People I know who used to live here, and now live in places like Syracuse, just roll their eyes and laugh - it's absolutely incredible.

Its the same down here during hurricane season. Its like they try to dramatise everything.

They will generally close schools on a forecast here. Doesn't have to be any snow, just a prediction of some, and the schools lock down.

A forecast of snow will also send everyone stampeding to grocery stores, which soon get cleaned out of milk, bread, eggs, chips and beer.

DOT crews will start brining the roads on a forecast of snow. Again, doesn't have to actually happen, only that it's forecast.

Meself, I've begun to put more stock in a weather rock than the TV weathercasts. You know, as in "if rock is white, it's snowing"? If rock is wet, it's raining? If rock has moved, it's high wind?

And yes, I do have one at the back door steps!

Guest bofusmosby
I hope it wasn't left there by angry looking men in very fast boats!:eek:;)

Nope, but I had a friend years ago that found a "bail" that had washed up on the East Coast.:D

My dad's oldest of his two older brothers for many years lived on Drummond Island in Lake Michigan. In winter the kids rode a school bus to the ferry. An icebreaker would have come through to open the channel for the ferry to go across to the mainland. Then kids would get onto the ferry and go across the channel and then board a different school bus on the other side to go school. They rarely called off school.

You guys make WINTER look bad. After 50 years here in sunny Florida I built my dream garage in the mountains of western North Carolina. (no house yet)

In Florida we play 365 with cars but have to A/C our shops in the summer.

I figure in NC I'll have to heat the shop and the house.

Got this picture, of my new barn from the up the hill neighbor in NC, just before going on a 42 car antique car tour here in FL, led by a 99 year old 1912 Cadillac on New Years day.

Am I wrong to consider moving to NC?

Winter here too, pool to cold to swim and I have to wear a jacket in the AM and sometimes it's to cold to paint outside for weeks. I even had to cover my orange tree two night this year already. Next thing will be people suggesting heaters in cars #*$^*&)(#@!.

Paul

P.S. For Sale: 2/2/2 tropical pool home with 3 car shop with A/C, cable TV, phone. Best of his and her worlds, includes 1 year membership in world's best Antique Car Club. Cheap!!!

post-32318-143138399205_thumb.jpg

post-32318-143138399213_thumb.jpg

Paul,

We have family in Western NC. My wife always says we need to move to the mountains. I remind her that we don't visit them in the winter. We just recorded the coldest December on record. We have had a little snow since Christmas and are expecting more starting early tomorrow morning. School is already cancelled for here tomorrow and NC DOT has already treated all of the major roadways locally. We seldom have roadways treated in this manner.

I spend much more money operating the AC in my garage than I do Heat, but we need both here... The family in Western NC almost never uses any AC.

Guest Gary Hearn
Nope, but I had a friend years ago that found a "bail" that had washed up on the East Coast.:D

I think they found a "bale". "Bail" was what they did when holes were shot in the hull or what they posted when they wanted to get out of jail.

Guest bofusmosby
I think they found a "bale". "Bail" was what they did when holes were shot in the hull or what they posted when they wanted to get out of jail.

OK, you got me. Geeezzz.... Well, you knew what I meant.:)

Snow is forecast for Tuesday here in northern Virginia. Can't happen, it got all used up last year.

Oh Fudge! (in the immortal words of Ralphie from The Christmas Story); same forecast for CT too--starting tomorrow, and supposedly proceeding on into Wednesday...

Oh-Fudge-Black-Shirt.jpg

Hey boss, can I "work from home?"

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Is that "Buick" running a nailhead or a Perkins?

You hit the Nail Head dead Center. Why a Perkins of course. I'm sure a Buick engineer was in on that design. ;) Best starting Diesel I ever saw. :cool:

The Storm is on it's way starting tonight, Tuesday, and into Wednesday. The Buick Snow Master is ready for duty. :D Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Snow is forecast for Tuesday here in northern Virginia. Can't happen, it got all used up last year.

Well, it's Tuesday, not even 2 pm here in the DC area (Montgomery County MD), not snowing yet but all the school systems are either closed or closing. DC area under CONDITION WHITE!!! :eek:

Guest Jim_Edwards
Well, it's Tuesday, not even 2 pm here in the DC area (Montgomery County MD), not snowing yet but all the school systems are either closed or closing. DC area under CONDITION WHITE!!! :eek:

If I have a guess, the fear of a repeat of a few days ago is going to pan out to be virtually nothing. Looks to me as if the Low pressure area that created havoc across the South and South East has basically fizzled out and the same pretty much applies to the system that yesterday was dumping snow across the Midwest. Paranoia running rampant?

Jim

(snip) Paranoia running rampant?

Jim

Absolutely. I've lived here all my life and it gets more silly by the hour. And not just the weather... neighboring county (Prince Georges, MD) has had eleven murders in eleven days (happy new year). This is the place, you may have read, where the county exec (Jack Johnson) recently got busted for misuse of funds by the "Fibbies" and told his old lady to stuff $79 grand in her shorts (google it!).

Well, here it comes again, :P Suppose to keep on all day. Post more photos later. Dandy Dave!

At least a solid *foot* on the ground here in Southern Connecticut, Dandy Dave, and it's still coming down strongly as I type this (during one of my shoveling breaks)...

Yuck!

Will try for a photo or two later on...

Good luck to us all shoveling ourselves out today!

At least a solid *foot* on the ground here in Southern Connecticut, Dandy Dave, and it's still coming down strongly as I type this (during one of my shoveling breaks)...

Yuck!

Will try for a photo or two later on...

Good luck to us all shoveling ourselves out today!

Whats da matter Steve, Ain't ya got no Buick Snowmaster? :eek: In you case I guess a VW Beatle snow shovel would do. Hhhmmmm, Now how would Red Green do it. ;)... Dandy Dave!

Whats da matter Steve, Ain't ya got no Buick Snowmaster? :eek: In you case I guess a VW Beatle snow shovel would do. Hhhmmmm, Now how would Red Green do it. ;)... Dandy Dave!

Red Green would somehow incorporate duct tape to pick up the snow.

Well looky there... the old coal shovel don't lie. Yep, a foot at least. After using the Buick SnowMaster I cleaned up a little with the old 1962 Ford F-250 just to give it a little exercise. That's a 272 under the hood and a vintage Hy-Lo-Jack snow plow pump. :cool: Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143138402551_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138402567_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138402584_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138402604_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138402622_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby

Well, we may not be getting any of that white stuff this time, but its supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow morning. I know, I know, thats nothing to many of you. BUT, down here, thats cold!:eek:

Guest Jim_Edwards
Dave,

How many vin # are on that truck? Looks like the pieces of at least 4.

It is Ford's first "Designer" series truck........A Johnny Cash model, created "One Piece at a Time." :D

Thinking about it, I believe there is about 7 different trucks rolled up in that 1962 F-250. package. I've owned it for about 30 years. The original truck had a 223 6 cylinder and a little 3 speed on the tree. The cab and nose was rotted out pretty bad but I ran it that way for several years until the engine developed a knock. I aquired a 279 CID (Produced 52-55) Ford Truck engine out of an old 1955 F- 750 fire truck which had a 5 speed over-drive Clark transmission. I pulled that 279 apart, unseized it and re-ringed it back in the early eighties. I ran that engine for about 15 years until it threw a rod while plowing snow one winter. I aquired the 272 about 10 years ago, pulled it apart and did a valve job on it. the rest of the motor was in good shape so I put it back together again. I don't run it hard like I did when I was a young un.

The Top of the cab is from the original truck. The bottom half was from a truck my uncle aquired for the running gear. It was a California truck that found it's way east and ended up in a roll over. The bottom was in excellent condition 28 years ago, but the roof was crushed, So I cut the top off of my old cap and lined up the glass openings and gas welded them together. Mig welders were rare and expensive in those days and not many had them. I also saved the fender wells from that old tan california truck and about half of a fender that was usable.

Then about eight or ten years after putting the old truck together, I was heading to the Rhinebeck Car Show back in the late eighties, early 90's, and was T boned by a gang of hoodlems in a big old red GM wagon that ran a stop sign. They forced the 1962 Ford under a flat bed tractor trailer, trailer which tore up the passanger side and snaped the front axle off by the rear trailer wheels just before it came to a halt. It was a Hit and Run, and they ran. Never found them but I did a lot of searching. Had it towed back home and was on the trail searching when I came across a 1962 F-250 parts truck. I bought it, and used the front axle and some other parts to put my lovely old Ford back together again. I believe that snapped off axle is still out back sitting by the parts truck. Of course I had some friends looking out for parts for me and ended up with a couple of doors that were better than mine. As you can see, one is red, and one is white, both off of different trucks. The hood was off of truck that was dammaged durring shipping and replaced at a dealership. I got it from an old friend who aquired it from the dealer who cleaned out a bunch of unwanted stuff in storage. Several other pieces came from several local salvage yards.

The horns on the roof were out of a 1953 Chevy two ton truck we had on the farm in the farm dump when I was a kid. The light on the roof was on it when I bought it 30 years ago.

The Gar-Wood Dump Body came off of a 1936 Ford truck chassies we had on the farm years ago.

Talk about a Love affair with an Automobile. I always wanted to enter it in an Ugly Truck Contest. She has been a tough old war wagon and has served me well though the years. I was thinking about it the other day that this old truck is pushing fifty. Oh yeah, The vin number for a 1962 Ford F-250,... It is attached to the Glove Box door and still remains with the truck. :D Dandy Dave!