Dandy Dave

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Marty is from New Orleans. Do you remember a lot of beautiful cars being lost in 2005?

Marty and I are friends and I am aware of where he lives and what happened down there.

Dave,

Susan is right,

When Hurricane Katrina came through, our local AACA Chapter in St. Bernard Parish (a small suburb, downriver from New Orleans) had approximately 97 families as members, with an average of 3.5 cars per family: nearly 350 cars in our little club. We know of eight (8) cars that either survived, or were restorable. Most of our members cars were under 10-20 feet of salt water for weeks (mine were not). One member lost nearly fifty of his own beautifully restored old cars, including a '56 Crown Victoria and many other jewels on display in his warehouse and party room.

Many of our members moved north of Lake Pontchartrain after Katrina, joined another AACA Chapter of Louisiana Region, and purchased other old cars. A small dedicated group remains to keep our chapter alive. I do not live in St. Bernard, but have been a member of this family-oriented club since the mid-1980s.

The above does not pretend to include the damage to cars in the city of New Orleans, or the many other parishes which suffered major loss of vintage cars, much less the Gulf coast of Mississippi which had a very different type of damage - their water came inland as a storm-driven wall of water, but exited with hours, washing away all in its path. One member mused "all of my cars were still there, but they were in different garages - the house was just gone".

Sorry, this isn't about snow - just responding to Dave - thanks for your interest.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Marty, I "cringed" while I read your post. So much history was destroyed during that storm. Much of it will never be known by most.

Woke up to about 5 more inches this morning. The Buick Snow Master is waiting in the wings. Dandy Dave!

It's that time of the year up here as well....

Got my Canadian beer fridge stocked for New Years....

Ahh yes, I see you have the standard single door fridge....nice. All I got here is the walk in.

I for one am tired of snow- and cold wind too. Snowed about an inch between 10PM and midnight last night. Up this morning, not much to fool with, roads clear, sidewalks clear, sun is out, life is good.

By 11AM the blackest cloud I'd seen since summer thunderstorms was boiling up in the north, and a half-hour later it was snowing balls. At first thought it was sleet or hail the way it was coming down, but picking one up, no doubt it was snow. 1/4 to 1/2 diameter balls of snow. Covered the street quick too.

I have never seen anything like it. Weirdest snow I've ever seen.:confused:

And there's 6-10 inches forecast for Monday night.:mad: Global warming my patoot.

I understand why people move south. I wouldn't live anywhere gets snow like some of y'all put up with.

We had a thunder snow squall last night. :eek: Ended up with 3 1/2' inches of snow on the ground this morning. Hearing thunder while watching a blizzard is an interesting experience. :)

The only snow I want to see down my way is that white stuff on our beaches.:D

I hear ya, but there is something beautiful about 4 distinct seasons. Having said that, I'm ready for spring:D.

Now I gotta go shovel the drive............:(

Bob,

may have to make a run up the "Valley" & check out that walk-in!!!!!

Y'all don't know anything about snow unless you've lived in the Washington DC area. It's gotten to the point here that if snow is _predicted_, things start shutting down and the whole area and everyone in it goes berserk. The local media weather weenies are usually the cause of this frenzy and the stations go into 'round the clock coverage of the ensuing madness. If you don't believe me, tune in online! People I know who used to live here, and now live in places like Syracuse, just roll their eyes and laugh - it's absolutely incredible.

Y'all don't know anything about snow unless you've lived in the Washington DC area. It's gotten to the point here that if snow is _predicted_, things start shutting down and the whole area and everyone in it goes berserk. The local media weather weenies are usually the cause of this frenzy and the stations go into 'round the clock coverage of the ensuing madness. If you don't believe me, tune in online! People I know who used to live here, and now live in places like Syracuse, just roll their eyes and laugh - it's absolutely incredible.

Its the same down here during hurricane season. Its like they try to dramatise everything.

The only snow I want to see down my way is that white stuff on our beaches.:D

I hope it wasn't left there by angry looking men in very fast boats!:eek:;)

They will generally close schools on a forecast here. Doesn't have to be any snow, just a prediction of some, and the schools lock down.

A forecast of snow will also send everyone stampeding to grocery stores, which soon get cleaned out of milk, bread, eggs, chips and beer.

DOT crews will start brining the roads on a forecast of snow. Again, doesn't have to actually happen, only that it's forecast.

Meself, I've begun to put more stock in a weather rock than the TV weathercasts. You know, as in "if rock is white, it's snowing"? If rock is wet, it's raining? If rock has moved, it's high wind?

And yes, I do have one at the back door steps!

And terlet paper. Glenn, I didn't realize the insanity had spread quite that far away! I think I'm gonna get me one of those rocks...

I hope it wasn't left there by angry looking men in very fast boats!:eek:;)

Nope, but I had a friend years ago that found a "bail" that had washed up on the East Coast.:D

My dad's oldest of his two older brothers for many years lived on Drummond Island in Lake Michigan. In winter the kids rode a school bus to the ferry. An icebreaker would have come through to open the channel for the ferry to go across to the mainland. Then kids would get onto the ferry and go across the channel and then board a different school bus on the other side to go school. They rarely called off school.

You guys make WINTER look bad. After 50 years here in sunny Florida I built my dream garage in the mountains of western North Carolina. (no house yet)

In Florida we play 365 with cars but have to A/C our shops in the summer.

I figure in NC I'll have to heat the shop and the house.

Got this picture, of my new barn from the up the hill neighbor in NC, just before going on a 42 car antique car tour here in FL, led by a 99 year old 1912 Cadillac on New Years day.

Am I wrong to consider moving to NC?

Winter here too, pool to cold to swim and I have to wear a jacket in the AM and sometimes it's to cold to paint outside for weeks. I even had to cover my orange tree two night this year already. Next thing will be people suggesting heaters in cars #*$^*&)(#@!.

Paul

P.S. For Sale: 2/2/2 tropical pool home with 3 car shop with A/C, cable TV, phone. Best of his and her worlds, includes 1 year membership in world's best Antique Car Club. Cheap!!!

post-32318-143138399205_thumb.jpg

post-32318-143138399213_thumb.jpg

Paul,

We have family in Western NC. My wife always says we need to move to the mountains. I remind her that we don't visit them in the winter. We just recorded the coldest December on record. We have had a little snow since Christmas and are expecting more starting early tomorrow morning. School is already cancelled for here tomorrow and NC DOT has already treated all of the major roadways locally. We seldom have roadways treated in this manner.

I spend much more money operating the AC in my garage than I do Heat, but we need both here... The family in Western NC almost never uses any AC.