Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Dandy Dave

We're getting ready for ice - blech! - but nothing falling from the sky yet. I hope we stay on the warm side of this front. We've actually done fairly well this season. The two larger snow storms we had came on weekends so no school cancellations so far. Last year, they had already used four before Christmas. Right now, there's maybe 8" on the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

We have had a tremendously up and down winter so far. Very cold with snow, then warm with rain. We've had two ice storms and another is forecast for Saturday. Thursday morning, it was -17° and barely out of the single digits all day. Sunday night, it was 24° and raining. Pure ice Monday morning but by mid-morning, it was in the mid-30's and by the middle of the afternoon, 50°. It was down to 31° when I went to bed and this morning it was 9° and has pretty much stayed there all day. Fortunately, the warm temps yesterday melted all the ice on the wires and trees. We have had several snow storms but with all the rain, we're down to about a foot on the ground. It has been an interesting winter, to say the least.

Interesting winter indeed for a lot of us John.

Today's Windsor Star headline read, "Windsor, colder than the South Pole".

So far we have just about reached our annual yearly snow fall total and this from the southern most region of Canada which by the way, is along the same parallel as the northern border of California!

I can only remember two other times we had snow dumped here and enough to shut things down for two days.

This time is was deep enough that my truck literally plowed snow in front of the bumper. I had no where to park safely on the side of the road to unload the snow blower.

post-36036-143142341366_thumb.jpg

I won't be getting to my project for a few weeks(?) yet............

post-36036-143142341372_thumb.jpg

We've had the past three nights with below-freezing temperatures:

Sunday night we had 5 hours below freezing, getting down to 31 degrees;

Monday night we had 10 hours below freezing, getting down to 29 degrees;

Tuesday night we had 8 hours below freezing, getting down to 30 degrees;

For us on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain these low temps are really unusual, but at least we were very dry - no rain or snow.

We will generally get a dusting of snow about once every 10 to 20 years, but we do enjoy seeing it on your Christmas Cards and on TV.

High today will barely hit 50, but by Thursday we will be out in the open 1930 Packard with temps in the high-60s and approaching 70 degrees.

Actually we hit 55 degrees in the shade on our back patio a few minutes ago!

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Hi Dan,

We had to deal with the Mid-West back in the early 1970s before spending 5 years in Richmond , VA, and then heading home to New Orleans since late 1976.

Actually we hit 55 degrees in the shade on our back patio a few minutes ago! And probably more in the sun!

Looking forward to 70 and sunny tomorrow.

Y'all are welcome to head south for a visit -

but New Orleans gets crazy around Mardi Gras which is March 4th this year, - it is always the day before Ash Wednesday,

and then what you see here is Mid-Westerners acting in a way they would not act at home!

post-54863-143142341985_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142341988_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314234199_thumb.jpg

We're just coming out of minus 35 with minus 49 windchills north of the border, and I heard about an inmate in Kentucky that escaped from prison. He had to turn himself back in before he froze. With no infractions he would have been eligible for parole in March.

post-47067-143142342255_thumb.jpg

Guest spacepig
2014 Starts with this!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229551[/ATTACH]

At the end of the Storm at 6:30am = 11 inches and COLD -14 degrees.

You know you have too much snow when you have to dig out the Blower IN your pick-up first!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229552[/ATTACH]

I have never seen anything like this..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://lovesmileys.com/f2/3/swatch_white.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://lovesmileys.com/f2/3/swatch_white.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://lovesmileys.com/f2/3/swatch_white.swf" undefined="http://lovesmileys.com/f2/3/swatch_white.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Not unlike parts of the North / Northeast,

THINGS ARE PILING UP!

post-36036-143142381458_thumb.jpg

After a predicted 6 inches we ended up with 8.89 inches this time!

Our total accumulation to date is 68.8 inches and counting !

post-36036-143142381473_thumb.jpg

My backyard..

post-36036-143142381464_thumb.jpg

Really need to finish that roof for BBQin'....

post-36036-143142381469_thumb.jpg

You know you have truly great neighbours when they not only put in a gate but..... you blow out a path for them!

Ahhhhhh.... The Weather Bug said -7 F this morning... we have 8 plus inches this last storm. Like they say in Russia, Velcome to Great North East...Of Siberia that is.... may the best in the world do well in the World Olympics. I love it when an underdog wins. Nations of the World, Go for the Gold! Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I don't remember how long ago - less than 10 years - we had snow in one area of our backyard into the first week of May. I think that was the year we had over 9' of snow piled up at the end of our driveway from shoveling and the town plow. The latest I ever remember having a snow storm was around the 5th of May when we had 5" one year. Of course, it only lasts a couple of days by that time.

Yeh sure,,,,,that year we had piled snow left over on 4 July

enough for a sowball fight,,,but fight was cancelld,,snow was more like ice,,

an' someone would get hurt,,,report from Limerick Me 04048

Cheers,,Ben

Here in upstate NY I drove my '72 Pinto off the road in Rochester one year on the way home from night shift work. Ended up down the hill in a grove of trees and it took the sheriff almost an hour to find me with access from three roads! I tried talking him to me via CBer's but they could not see me. We had gotten 9" of heavy wet stuff on May 8th, the latest I remember! OH, it just started snowing again here but they say only a couple of inches thru the night.......

Hey John- Just talked to my uncle in BBH and he said it is a long hard one by the coast too! We are signed up for the VMCCA Chrome Glidden in June, bringing the Avanti to Belfast and Bar Harbor. (At least we can look forward to spring with this in mind!)

Portage and Main, Winterpeg, I was there, I remember the snowpocalypse winter of 59, the coldest large city intersection in North America. That's not a complete whiteout as I see blue sky. Wishing for a Marmon Herrington , or an FWD, or a Coleman or a power wagon or a Walter or??