The plumbers folly?

Guest Paul Christ

Guest De Soto Frank

I think there was a fairly legnthy thread on this piece earlier this year... don't believe we ever conclusively ID'd it... some folks thought it might have been a home-made steam car, others through maybe a tag-along sprayer for agriculural purposes...

It is indeed an interesting piece of engineering...

Guest Silverghost

Are we sure that this is the same chassis seen earlier this year with the steam car cylinders in the aft car area?

Where did this photo come from ?

Guest Silverghost

This appears to me to be a very similar car~~~

But may NOT be the exact same car as the other uncovered almost a year ago.

I strongly believe that both autos are in fact real & very rare steam auto chassis.

You can still see the compound steam cylinders at each side rear of their chassis..

Both of these projects should be saved by a steam car restorer/collector !

Where is this chassis located ?

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Brad,

Have to disagree, I believe they are the same car. Looking at the remnants of the spokes on the front wheel they look the same to me. I have cropped the pic in this thread to show the wheel and brake drum and compared it to a pic of the same from the earlier post.

post-52046-143138387388_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143138387389_thumb.jpg

Guest Paul Christ
where did you get the picture?

I found the photo on an antique motorcycle forum, however, there were no details provided. I can't remember which forum, but I am trying to find it again.

Guest De Soto Frank

"You can still see the compound steam cylinders at each side rear of their chassis.. "

I don't think these are steam-engines; I don't see any evidence of valve gear / valve chests.

I think they are pumps, either air or liquid.

Maybe it was the inspiration for Peter, Paul, & Mary's 1960's song, "The Marvelous Toy" -

"It went "Zip" when it moved, and "Bop" when it stopped,

And "Whirr" when it stood still...

I never knew just what it was, and I guess I never will."

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

Based on the wheel photos posted above by our friend in Australia I now also suspect this may in fact be the very same chassis.

Good detective work Mate !

The location does seems to have changed a bit .

It looks like itmay now be in a real scrap metal pile ! I hope it gets saved !

The running gear of the later steam cars, especially Non-Stanley autos looked very simlar in design to the compound / two stage vertical style cylinders pictured.

A compound engine has two size cylinders in one casting~~~ Steam first goes to the small cylinder ~~~~

Then to the second larger cylinder to get more power out of the now resulting lower pressure steam.

This sort of steam auto would have a front radiator style condensor to re-cycle the water.

Much has been robbed-off of this chassis~~~

And the elements have also taken their toll.

I do believe however that this is what remains of a steam powered auto.

Mr Alan Kelso/ noted steam auto restorer/ expert here in Pa. should be able to tell us what this really is~~~or is not ?

He could finally solve this mystery once and for all~~~One way or another !

Paging~~~ Mr Alan Kelso ~~~~

Please help us ID this odd & unusual chassis ?

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

This is what I have said too :-) And I am still saying it (whatever it is) was built on 24 to 27 Master Buick chassis (at least front part, axle and steering box). The rear (with half elliptic springs) is something completely different and unknown to me....

I don't believe this to be a steam engine, the cylinders have spring loaded inlet valves for air and the check valves on the outlet are for air. I believe this to be an air compressor that is driven with a chain drive from the rear axle. Probably a tow behind thing that supplied air to what ever that thing up front is, sprayer or something. Could this be something used to spray orchard trees with?

RHL

I think its a doodlebug. There are alot of old contraptions like that where i'm from (upstate new york). It was a poor farming area in the early 1900's, so people had to make do with what little they had to keep themselves and the crops alive.

A few years ago a neighborhood farmer dragged his junkyard out of the woods and piled it on the front lawn for the metal scrap truck to pick up; well right on the top of the pile was a 1937 Indian Chief motorcycle. Someone way back welded it into a tricycle and put one huge wheel on the back that looked like an old riveted lead water tank (it looked like todays hot water heater). So when i think about it, it wasn't a tricycle since it now had 2 wheels!

I asked him if i could have the contraption and he said i could take it for free, but a few days later, (when i finally rounded up a truck and a helper), it and the junk pile were gone....

Guest taildrager

SCRAP IS 13.00 DOLLARS A HUNDRED LOT OF STUFF LEAVING HERE GOING TO CHINA BUT HOW-ABOUT THAT TRACTOR IN THE BACKGROUND NOW THAT NEEDS SAVING!