1913 Metz 22

Australia! Well, I believe Metz built and shipped cars to other countries, but did not manufacture outside of the US. I could be wrong ( I usually am) LOL. There are Metz cars in England, etc. I do see that the engine pan is still there. That's good. My comment on the light s may be wrong since the car was (presumably) sent there. She is a pretty little car. Don't give up on her yet! She looks to be in good running order.

Guest Marruss
Australia! Well, I believe Metz built and shipped cars to other countries, but did not manufacture outside of the US. I could be wrong ( I usually am) LOL. There are Metz cars in England, etc. I do see that the engine pan is still there. That's good. My comment on the light s may be wrong since the car was (presumably) sent there. She is a pretty little car. Don't give up on her yet! She looks to be in good running order.

From what I can find out so far there are at least a couple of others over here. I am guessing that they were shipped over complete but they may have had bodywork fitted here. That was pretty common practice.

It is right hand drive. Not sure if this means anything. I know left hand drive was not really adopted until Henry Ford went that way but not sure of years?

The owner tells me the body is a reproduction based on a 1913. It had engine 24515 fitted which was rebuild however a piston failed and he fitted the spare engine which is the one in the photo's.. He claims he can't find the engine number on it.

He has also fitted larger period correct brakes.

The damaged motor and original brakes come with the car.

Guest Marruss
Does the engine have "METZ" stamped on it? (the spare engine)

It does on the head. Photo's of motor. These are all I have. As much as I would like this car I think it is to big a risk to buy it without personally inspecting it.

unfortunately work commitments make this unlikely in the near future.

post-97132-143142267652_thumb.jpg

post-97132-143142267657_thumb.jpg

post-97132-143142267661_thumb.jpg

The right-hand steering makes the throttle linkage simpler, as the steering column is right next to the carburetor. This car has some imaginative work done on it, but it doesn't look highly original. Metz was a fairly successful exporter. The cars were all made in Waltham, Massachusetts, however. Australia had a protective tariff on complete imported cars, so maybe some Metz chassis got imported.

Phil

• 4 months later...
Guest Andy13

Hello all. Andy here. In researching my Metz 22, I have discovered that I may in fact own a 1914 Metz 22 and not a 1913. The serial number on our engine is 24702. The serial numbers listed for the 1914 year are 22950-29100. Does any one know if car makers were in the habit of selling the next years model in the previous year ( like today)? This may account for subtle differences in the cars that you (Phil) and Jeff are restoring and mine. For instance; the rear end of my trunk has a convex curve, while Jeff and Phil's have a concave curve. My car came with several pieces of documentation that seem to contradict each other as to the exact age of the car. Any thoughts form the group?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SA Nick

Hi Andy

What a amazing site. My Dad passed away last year and I remember he Gave his Metz to the Johannesburg museum. When we were kids we called her Metsy so when I thought I would try and find out more about the car I had no luck using "Metsy" but came across u guys when I figured out she was actually a Metz. Anyway I am probably boring you guys so the gist of my post is that they also found their way into South Africa. I am in Cape Town when next in Johannesburg I will visit the car and find out about left /right hand drive remembering in South Africa we are right hand drive. Please continue with the wonderfully interesting work you guys are doing. I am inspired to try and get the car back and do some work on her as I last heard she has been a little neglected.

• 2 years later...

Sorry about the lapse. I've been working on some other cars, but haven't quit the Metz. This week, I've been striping the body. I believe the Metz had more stripes per dollar than any other car. Virtually every visible part of the exterior was ornamented. Using catalog illustrations and photos of an original car, I'm doing my best. I'm using a Mack striping brush with 1-Shot "Ivory". I have great admiration for the stripers that use the brush only. I'm using masking tape to aid my nervous hand. Specifically, 3M 06525 1/4" Precision Masking Tape. Here are some photos taken today. The tape overlaps at the corners in the square layouts, so I will let my paint dry, then re-tape and paint the corners last. I'm using mostly 1/16" lines, but wider lines on the fenders. 

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

I admire those with a steady hand too. My 1930 Dodge Brothers has striping reputedly done by hand by an alcoholic. His hands apparently shook terribly with the DTs or something, but as soon as the brush was ready, he was rock steady. The stripes are very good. I hope yours turn out well too.

Looks good Phil.  Do you plan on shooting a clear over that or are the stripes OK without? 

BTW, there's a Metz on eBay now.  Says it is 1911, but I'm pretty sure it is not.  Looks like a 13 or later Model 22.  Engine even has the fan.

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)

That eBay Metz ended today at $3300, not hitting the reserve. Though not entirely a 1911, it should be worth more than that.

Here's my current progress on the striping. There is no exact pattern to the Metz pinstriping, so I'm using the designs I've seen in catalogs and original cars. No, I won't apply clear coat over the stripes. I think they are durable enough as-is, plus a clear coat makes later corrections impossible. 

Phil

IMG_1248.JPG

• Like 1

I believe that was $8,300 when bidding ended and not making the reserve.  I'd also agree that it should have brought more even with the defects it had.

Looking great Phil, glad to see the car almost done. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm now mounting the fenders and side panels. I know that Metz used grey linoleum and metal edging on their running boards. This leaves me wondering how the linoleum was installed. The fenders attach on top of the wood running boards.

Phil

IMG_1340.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've hung all the fenders and am now preparing for the running board covering. I ordered some grey linoleum pieces from battleshiplinoleum.com. I have several options on installing these. I first tried a specially-cut wood panel that covered the fender lips, but I didn't like how that projected above the fenders. Next, I cut some 1/4" birch plywood to fit between the fender attachments:

IMG_1349.JPG p

On the lathe, I flattened the carriage bolts that hold the sheet metal parts to the running boards. This was cheaper than purchasing flat-head carriage bolts at a couple bucks each. My idea is to apply the linoleum atop these panels, held down with 1" metal edging. (the wheel in the photo is my 1905 Maxwell).

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

The Metz is now 96% assembled. If you go back to my first post about 6 years ago, you can compare the car to when I began. This is the color, decor and look of the car as it was originally... at least as far as my research taught me. I've not yet driven the car, so there may be many hours of work yet, but at least I got everything together. Those who have followed this project may recall the time all the body parts were lost when the stripper went out of business, and were retrieved thanks to help from a fellow AACA member. They were in a guy's the back yard rusting away, but they were there. A lot of the stuff I learned has been forgotten over the past six or seven years, but the equipment and skills acquired have helped me in other restoration jobs. Thanks again to my friends on the AACA Forum whose advice and help was invaluable to me. 

Phil

IMG_1357.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Phil,

when you get time please email me your email and phone numbers and location due to the fact that I am looking to purchase a 1913 Metz 22 also and would like for you and I to get to know one another.

thanks in advance

Larry LaPatka

email:  ltlapatka@email.com

home:  423.623.5656

Cell:     423.237.8846

Parrottsville, Tennessee