1913 Metz 22

Tonight, we checked the spark (OK) and put a little gas in each cylinder. Cranking a dozen or so times produced nothing. We then used a shot of starting fluid. On the fourth try, it suddenly came to life and ran well. We kept it going for a minute or so, but shut it off as there is no coolant yet. Anyway, I'm happy to report that the Metz runs.

Phil

It was pretty loud, but we were inside the garage standing right next to it. I think it will be quieter when we get the idle down and it's broken in.

Phil

Photo below is the car this morning. I installed the seat yesterday. As mentioned before, I retained the old upholstery that came with the car. This afternoon, I installed the steering wheel, only to discover (after an hour or so) that I had the shaft backwards. Both ends look similar; one drilled for the pin holding the gear, the other end for the steering wheel. The gear fit nicely, but the wheel didn't reach its pin hole. Once I reversed the shaft, both the wheel and the gear fit nicely. I also filled the radiator for the first time, and drained it after it dripped in a couple places. The side "inlet" gasket leaked because of slight rust pitting in the mounting surface. I used some gasket sealant there. The top "outlet" leaked also, so I sealed it with some silicone.

Phil

post-54178-143139184465_thumb.jpg

Really looking nice!!! Curious what color of paint did you use for teh body and wheels? Also are the fenders also painted dark blue or are they supposed to be black? Those questions are for my future reference. Right now our 1915 Model 22 Foredoor is all black with yellow wheels. Yuk.

Again you have a very nice car and it is a beauty.

Jerry

The blue I used is the Ford Fleet color "Dark Blue" (used on commercial vehicles). Wheels are the BMW Mini color "Pepper White". Metz described their colors as "dark blue" and "cream." No color formulas back then, so you must decide. Entire body was blue in 1913 (except for "Special Roadster" which was an orange/red color). The 1915 colors were the same.

Phil

Thanks. That changes my concept. I had planned on leaving the fenders black but now that will not be an option. I want it to be correct. I will remember your color and I have seen "Indigo Blue" a GM color that I really like, too. But that paint has a little metal fleck in it. I know that was not an option back in the early 1900's. But it sure is a pretty color.

Again, thanks.

Jerry

• 2 months later...

No, I haven't quit yet! My latest challenge was a leaking lower coolant elbow. This is where the coolant "enters" the engine during the thermosiphon process (ie; no water pump). Anyway: drip, drip, drip. I tried various gaskets and sealants to no avail, but finally determined that the hole in the block had been enlarged at its base by rust. Since the block was cleaned, I didn't notice this until I saw only a very small area at the bottom of the elbow made contact with the block. I built up this area with epoxy, clamping a wood block over the opening covered with wax paper. The joint no longer leaks.

I've also ordered new wood top bows from measurements taken from an original car. The firm I use, Bareville Woodcraft in PA, did a nice job on my 1921 Peugeot top bows, so I'm using them again. I've never made a top, so I hope it works!

Phil

• 1 month later...

I'm working on the Metz top, which was completely missing when I got the car. As per previous posts, I got new top irons made a while back and a couple weeks ago got the new steam-bent oak bows. I measured many times before I ordered these! I took dimensions from the original Metz 22 roadster sold last fall by Bonhams at the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia. This is how I fit the bows into the sockets:

Here is how the bows look as they come from the bending shop. The frame keeps them in shape until use. Note that I bought extras. I'm a pessimist.

post-54178-143139340062_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the tools I used (L-R: jack plane, block plane, curved spokeshave, drawknife):

post-54178-143139340081_thumb.jpg

I used a B&D Workhorse to hold the bows. First, I measured how deep they fit into the sockets (also called "top irons") and cut them to length.

post-54178-143139340076_thumb.jpg

I then used a small hand saw to cut around the bows to form the contour to match the socket I.D. I drew an "X" on top to locate the center of the bows so my carving stayed as centered as possible.

post-54178-14313934009_thumb.jpg

For the first rough shaping, I used a draw knife, and followed with a small block plane until I got a shape similar to the sockets.

post-54178-143139340086_thumb.jpg

I used a rounded carving chisel to remove wood to accommodate the seam in the top irons. You could also use a router, but I found this simpler.

post-54178-143139340094_thumb.jpg

As the socket started to fit, I carved more wood away. When it fit down a couple inches, I began using powdered graphite as a guide. I applied it inside the sockets, and lightly cut away the black marks. Each time, the bows went down a little but more. It took maybe 30 tries.

post-54178-143139340108_thumb.jpg

Finally, a nice fit!

post-54178-143139340117_thumb.jpg

Next, to smooth the bows and try on the car. Stay tuned.

Phil

post-54178-14313934007_thumb.jpg

post-54178-143139340099_thumb.jpg

post-54178-143139340103_thumb.jpg

post-54178-143139340112_thumb.jpg

My goodness you went to a lot of work! But that is what it takes. I applaud you! I think the bows on my '15 are metal. I will check them when I go over to visit Ethyl at her winter's slumbering building. If her bows are metal I presume that means someone has replaced the originals or there was a metal bow option. I know the fabric is not the original. That I was told by the former owner's son the day we purchased Ethyl. Thank you for sharing your build with us. It will help for future reference.

I will attempt to do the same when we re-create the motor cover. We have found a fabricator willing to take this on. We do not have a start date yet as he had to get some 20 gage material in first. Fortunately he has some on the way. This project will be a side project for him. So there could be some starting and stopping before we get done. I am in no big rush as we are still in the middle of winter here. M cousin and I will be assisting the pro at this. It will be a learning experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I rounded the edges of the top bows with a 3/8" rounding bit on my router table followed by planing and sanding. I then applied three coats of thin epoxy to seal the wood, staining the corners black (I may paint the wood that shows). Here they are in the sockets and aligned for the first time.

post-54178-143141724554_thumb.jpg

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all these postings and pictures. I have a 1913 Metz that I am preparing to restore. She's 99.9% complete and is only missing chain guard covers and the exhaust cut out pedal. Did you ever find out how the exhaust cut out pedal hooks up? I'd also be interested to get the dimensions for the castings you had made. You have inspired me!!

Andy

I never did see an original exhaust cut-out connection, but I ran mine directly to the from the pedal lever to the muffler valve using music (piano) wire. It really didn't interfere with anything, so I'm guessing that's how Metz did it. They used an extension coil spring from the valve to the chassis (or running board rail; I forget) to keep the valve shut.

Phil

Just got my new top rests for the Metz. These were made from my drawings by Bob Beck. He did a great fabricating job on these odd parts. The pair bolt to either side of the seat back and hold the top when it's down. I'll probably line them in leather and use leather belts to keep the top secure. I will paint them black, which I'm assuming Metz did.

Phil

post-54178-143141751424_thumb.jpg

Just got my new top rests for the Metz. These were made from my drawings by Bob Beck. He did a great fabricating job on these odd parts. The pair bolt to either side of the seat back and hold the top when it's down. I'll probably line them in leather and use leather belts to keep the top secure. I will paint them black, which I'm assuming Metz did.

Phil

[ATTACH=CONFIG]178116[/ATTACH]

Phil, am I correct in assuming the arms are soldered to the saddles rather than welded?

Andy here. The top rests on my Metz are painted black. There is a rivet on the back side of the top half that I assume held the leather strap. I will try to take a photo for you and post very soon.

The rest is soldered and also invisibly pinned to the bracket in my "repro" rests.

Thanks, Andy, for the photos. I made the rail that holds the top cloth, and now must attach the fasteners to it.

Phil

Andy... Is there any evidence of leather straps from the rear bow to the bar behind the seat? This was apparently a standard feature on this kind of top. You can see them in this photo from the Metz 22 sold by Bonhams last year, but I didn't check how they were attached.

Phil

IMG_0172.jpg

Phil.. Our car had it's top replace by the museum that owned it in the 1950's They did not included these straps. I will re-examine our top to check for any evidence of these straps. I saw this car on Bonham's site after it had been sold. Bonham's is having an auction this Sat. Feb.23. at the Boca Raton Concourse d'Elegance. I am going to contact them to see if I can get more information on that car, etc.

Andy.

The straps on the top bow hold the rear portion of the top up. Here is an old newpaper article on our car showing the top strapped up. Note the square style sidelights too.

Andy.post-91268-143141763482_thumb.jpg

WOW. Thanks Phil for all those great photos. I contacted Bonhams this Sat. They are going to forward my contact info to the buyer. Hopefully, the buyer will decide to contact me.

Andy.

Thanks. This is part of the detective work I am doing on the car right now. I had to rub out the area on the hood for that dark blue to show. The car has had some repainting done by the museum that owned it in the 1950's. Most of the "new" paint evidence I find is on the undercarriage parts and the interior wood. The top bows were also repainted black and the wheels were painted red. The museum also replaced the top and windscreen (but with the correct material). The Rushmore headlights are incorrect, but I found the correct style on my trip to the Hershey meet last fall. Chain guards are missing. Hopefuly to be re-fabricated. The carburetor had been replaced, but I have the original Holley (brass bowl is cracked). All other fiddley-bits seem to be present with the car. The car's entire "life" is well documented in the paper work that came with the car. She runs well, but brake mechanisms are frozen. I jack up the rear end and start her every now and then.

Guest Mochet

Nice car. You may find some original pin striping under the black paint, also. I think they used the red wheel paint on the oil funnel. That was unpainted originally, I think.

Phil